2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79164 - 05/10/01 05:54 AM ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
Hey Team - does anybody have a Surco rack mounted to their X? I currently have a 45 x 50 with 4 Hella 500's on the front and 2 facing the rear. They are all mounted using the Surco light tabs. My issue is that the rack seems to rattle like crazy lately. It appears that the front and back or the rack (unsupported for about 12") is coming loose. Anybody else having this same type of problem? My next step is to add a few extra bolts through the points were the rack pieces join to try and tighten it down more.

Thanks in advance for the help......

#79165 - 05/10/01 06:12 AM Re: ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
put some stuff in it. The weight will cut down on vibrations.

I did that with my rack when I first got it before I found all the little quirks of the floor and how to keep it from rattling.

Zip ties around the areas that rattle, shielding 2 pieces of metal that are hitting each other will work too...

#79166 - 05/10/01 06:12 AM Re: ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
PlayHard Offline

Loc: Canada
I have the same rack and have not had any problems. Are you using the Xterra mounts? Can you move the rack yourself and if so, where does it move?

#79167 - 05/10/01 07:19 AM Re: ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
EMT_Diver Offline

Its not the floor thats moving. I'm using Xterra mounts. The rack itself is fine, its the ends where the lights are thats flexing and rattling. I would like to space the bars out more towards the ends but then I'll have a huge gap in the middle. Has anyone purchsed a single bar and 1 set of mounts from a mailorder place yet? This would give me the spacing I need I think???

#79168 - 05/10/01 08:43 AM Re: ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
Charrua Offline

Loc: South Windsor, CT USA
I've had the Surco Urban rack for about 3 months. Had it loaded several times and never experienced any problem.

When I put it together, I wanted to test how "strong" the floor boards where and I stood (all 220 lbs) on a two floor boards between the load bars and there was some flexing but nothing unexpected. Still I though about getting a third load bar and spacing them out better. Somehow, having only 2 load bars for a 5 foot rack does not seem to be enough.

If I had the lights like you mentioned, I might even consider getting an extra two load bars and placing them near the end of the rack. This should give youe the extra support.

As for the screws coming loose, get some thread lock. Make sure you get the light duty one otherwise you won't be able to remove the screws. I had a similar problem with my version of the Thor Shelf (mine has baskets that swivel on a bar attahced to the ceiling tie down screws) where the screws were working themself loose and the thread locker stuff worked great.

I think LocTight makes two version a Blue colored and a reb colored one, the Blue is light Duty and the red is heavy duty or Permanent.

Gabe

#79169 - 05/10/01 10:08 AM Re: ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
EMT_Diver Offline

ok - this might be overkill but I just ordered 2 more support bars and a set of Xterra mounts to add to the rack. A bit pricey for what they are but if it gets rid of the rattles then its worth it. I'll keep you posted and thanks again.....

#79170 - 05/10/01 11:41 AM Re: ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
Charrua Offline

Loc: South Windsor, CT USA
Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
ok - this might be overkill but I just ordered 2 more support bars and a set of Xterra mounts to add to the rack. A bit pricey for what they are but if it gets rid of the rattles then its worth it. I'll keep you posted and thanks again.....

How much were they ??? I know the mounts are about $30, but what about the bars?

#79171 - 05/10/01 12:54 PM Re: ** SURCO Rack Rattles **
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
I have the Surco rack and haven't had any rattles from it? I have the small one 45 X 50. No lights on it yet, but reverse lights will probably be the first addition.

-Rick

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal