shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80617 - 15/01/01 07:11 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
*cough *cough DMV PLATES? *cough *cough

#80618 - 15/01/01 07:20 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Loc: Worldwide
Zip ties on the spare today, something more permanent in the near future. Thanks for ... um being concerned for my safety.
KMA Tire Carrier

#80619 - 15/01/01 07:21 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
You are welcome MG

#80620 - 15/01/01 08:17 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Damn, that's hot! This version looks really sweet - wheel centered and hugging the hatch.

Two things I'm noticing; as with any rear-mounted spare, if you get rear-ended, the tire goes into the hatch no? That is, since the tire sticks out more than the bumper itself... Or is the tire up hire than most cars? Secondly, where the diamond plate is on top now, it seems to fix the gap that was present in the first version, correct?

I'm wondering if a flat surface with a rubber/plastic surface would be more practical for wear purposes than the diamond plating? Something kind of like the current bumper or stock side rails. Then again, how much use is it gonna get...

All in all, a definate improvement - looks really awesome... Damn! Combined with an ARB, you're ready for anything. The Spencer Low Racing fiberglass fender pieces might be the icing on the cake, if it works with the ARB and KMA!

How much are they going to run?

[This message has been edited by BoarderPhreak (edited January 15, 2001).]

#80621 - 15/01/01 09:19 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Mustard Custard,
How much did the bumper setup from KMA cost you? Do you know if they are willing to sell that design to other Xterra owners? Thanks for you help! Sweet looking X you have there.

#80622 - 15/01/01 09:47 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
I don't know what KMA charged MC for his bumper, but it should be available to everyone--the only real "one-off" bumper was Synchro's, since his was the first. Several MAXC guys have ordered them, I believe there are six of us waiting for them right now, so there might be a backorder but they should be in full production now.

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

#80623 - 16/01/01 03:49 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Meeklo Offline

Loc: Toronto/Thornhill
So with the new centered design it looks like from the pics that theres no room for the jerry can mount, no?

Is the HighLift jack blocking the 2" reciever? Also, is that a 32" tire and is it touching or impairing the mounting of the HighLift Jack?

Overall I like the centered design, due to it being more flush with the hatch. I think I'll be ordering one of these for myself real soon.

Michael
All rights reserved to use whatever weapon I choose. - M.DSantos

#80624 - 16/01/01 04:11 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Yipes, Lot's of questions.

To BorderPhreak -- 1. The vertical tire mount with angled support piece is so beefy, that even if a vehicle was high enough to hit the tire and rear-ended me, I honestly don't think the tire would end up in my hatch. 2. The diamond plate does a good job of cleaning that area up. 3. I plan to Durabak the whole thing (including plastic corners). If you're familiar with this stuff, it's like steel when it's dry. No wear concerns or need for plastic there.

To Lil_pino: I told Kyle at KMA about this forum (I think he already knew about it from Kirk)and the attention his bumpers were getting. I told him to keep those welding torches fired up because lots of Xterra business is headed his way. He's already got the bumper blueprinted. I think the only issue was the mounting of the tire carrier itself. The bumper went on perfectly.

To gothamist: "Full production" is sort of a misnomer. They're a real small outfit. There was only one guy working yesterday. But, it didn't take long at all. I think they'll be able to fill the orders in a reasonable amount of time.

To Meeklo: 1. No, I would forget about the Jerry Can all together, unless you don't mind having the tire mounted further away from the truck. 2. No, the hi-lift doesn't block the hitch receiver, just the angle of the photo. Yes, it's a 32". No, it doesn't touch anything (jack included). I only plan to carry the jack offroad. The stock jack will be fine for common on-road flats.

To all: Here's the price breakdown: $350 for the bumper w/tire carrier. $65 for the hitch receiver, And something like $25 for the can mount, $25 for the jack mount and $10 or $15 for the antenna mount. Ended up costing me $470, but I had to pay sales tax because I purchased locally (they didn't charge for the install though -- I helped out). The best bargain would probably be the standard $350 bumper/tire carrier minus the add ons.

By the way, the folks at Kennesaw Mountain Accesories were very helpful/friendly to me. They seemed to want to do whatever it took to make me happy with the bumper.

[This message has been edited by Mustard Custard (edited January 16, 2001).]
KMA Tire Carrier

#80625 - 16/01/01 05:56 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Two more pics:

The swing-away arm does not sag, my x was parked uphill.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1244072&a=9190433&p=38192387[/img]

Not the best paint job in the world, but the Durabak will take care of that.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1244072&a=9190433&p=38192140[/img]

[This message has been edited by Mustard Custard (edited January 16, 2001).]
KMA Tire Carrier

#80626 - 16/01/01 06:22 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
rhombus Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
DROOOOOOOOL......

MC the truck looks awesome (good choice on the color ).

#80627 - 16/01/01 07:24 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
MC,

Do you have a profile shot to see how close the tire is to the rear-hatch?

Gary

[This message has been edited by X_Jeeper (edited January 16, 2001).]

#80628 - 16/01/01 08:34 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Mount the Jerry Can long-ways to the bumper.

Plenty of room, and not much wider than the tire.

#80629 - 16/01/01 08:37 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Mustard Custard:
They seemed to want to do whatever it took to make me happy with the bumper.

We've seen your picture, they were nice because they were afraid of you

#80630 - 16/01/01 09:31 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

LOL, Ian...

Two more questions - will they powdercoat the thing for ya? Do the shackles rattle?

I really dig it. The pictures of it look awesome. What's nice is that you can "order it without" the jack mount, receiver - or other features, depending on what you need.

Think one of these and an ARB are in the near future!

#80631 - 16/01/01 09:32 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
rubbus Offline

Loc: Waltham MA, USA
Mustard Custard-
Sweet looking bumper! I second the request for a side profile shot so as to see the distance from the tire to the hatch.

Also- can the tire carrier be removed easily? Can the bumper be ordered without the tire carrier? If I had the bumper I might want to just move the tire onto the carrier/install the carrier when I went offroad- and just leave the spare in the normal position for every day driving.

#80632 - 16/01/01 09:40 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Boarder.... They don't do powder coating but I am having them color match mine with the current stock grey color. The permenant d-rings are optional and you can have hard points for removable shackles instead.

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net

#80633 - 16/01/01 10:06 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustard Custard:
Two more pics:

The swing-away arm does not sag, my x was parked uphill.

You have been very patient with all the questions Mustard, thank you. I have one as well. Is there some sort of locking mechanism for the tire carrier when it is out? (so the arm isn't flopping around in a less than ideal situation, say high winds, weird hill angle stuff) If not, could it be an addition?

#80634 - 16/01/01 10:11 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

Sweet, Mosi - thanks.

I'm thinking that welded on D-rings like the ARB would be the way I'd go - just to avoid rattling.

Matching the grey sounds like a good idea... But then you have to deal with the ARB as well. No biggie. I'm just thinking of durability over "just painted steel" which is sure to rust with a few scratches and scrapes. I wouldn't mind semi-gloss black.

#80635 - 16/01/01 01:59 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Ned946, Nope -- no lock out on the "gate". It's pretty tight right now, takes some oomph to get it to swing open. But that will probably change over time, so some sort of locking device would be a good idea.
KMA Tire Carrier

#80636 - 16/01/01 08:41 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
ZOOMHUSTLA Offline

Loc: Florida USA
Synchro and MC sweet looking upgrades brothas. Wish I had the money and the know how to do all that to my X.

------------------
It is hard work being this good!!!!

Jeff Javier aka ZOOMHUSTLA
2001 Silver Ice XE 4x2
"Sterling II"

#80637 - 17/01/01 07:30 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Sweet, Mosi - thanks.

I'm thinking that welded on D-rings like the ARB would be the way I'd go - just to avoid rattling.

Matching the grey sounds like a good idea... But then you have to deal with the ARB as well. No biggie. I'm just thinking of durability over "just painted steel" which is sure to rust with a few scratches and scrapes. I wouldn't mind semi-gloss black.

i have the welded on shackles and they do not rattle much at all. when i was off-road last weekend, i think i heard them once. nothing that a little weather stripping wouldn't deaden. also the other shackle brackets, are NOT like the ARB brackets, they are much thicker. where a normal shackle will fit in there, i am not so sure about the ARB hi-lift adapter.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
Ashburn, VA, USA (suburb of Washington D.C.)
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, Auto, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs
President: Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club
http://www.maxc.org/members/synchro.htm

#80638 - 17/01/01 07:32 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
You have been very patient with all the questions Mustard, thank you. I have one as well. Is there some sort of locking mechanism for the tire carrier when it is out? (so the arm isn't flopping around in a less than ideal situation, say high winds, weird hill angle stuff) If not, could it be an addition?

hi winds would have a HARD time moving the arm. one you open it and rest it against the plastic fender piece, it is heavy enough not to go anywhere. rememeber, the arm weighs something like 30 lbs or more plus the weight of the tire and the hi-lift.

Synchro

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
Ashburn, VA, USA (suburb of Washington D.C.)
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, Auto, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs
President: Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club
http://www.maxc.org/members/synchro.htm

#80639 - 18/01/01 07:22 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Shortbus Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL, USA
All I can say is WOW! That looks sweet! I've been waiting for one of these since the day I bought mine in Sept. '99. Just a quick question. How does the carrier lock into place when its closed? I know I used to have an old CJ and the carrier on there had a little lever that you pull up to unlock it and swing it away, problem was that would rust and make it pretty tough to open. ThanX for being so patient with all the questions (and for buying a Solar X so I can see exactly what it will look like on mine :-).

Justin

------------------
"If you are having a bad day and it seems like people ar trying to piss you off. Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle."

"Since the internet has no walls or fences, why do we need Windows and Gates?"

#80640 - 18/01/01 07:25 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Shortbus Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL, USA
Sorry :-\ I almost forgot one more itty bitty ?. Will this thing fit with the Nissan factory reciever hitch or will I need to go ahead and get that added on as an option?

ThanX again,
Justin

------------------
"If you are having a bad day and it seems like people ar trying to piss you off. Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle."

"Since the internet has no walls or fences, why do we need Windows and Gates?"

#80641 - 18/01/01 08:30 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like your attitude shortbus...
Good signature

------------------
kennedyusmc@earthlink.net
quote:
It's hot in here... and why am I in this handbasket?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal