shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80592 - 25/12/00 10:50 PM New custom rear bumper
Craisy Daisy Offline

Loc: Medord, MA
Got some money for Xmas and was thinking of spending it on a new rear bumper for my X. Here is what I had in mind:

1. Rear bumper/spare tire swing sway
2. 2 x tow points with 10k lb d-rings or shackles
3. 2" receiver for towing
4. mount for hi-lift jack
5. 1 mount for gas can
6. Antenna mount for CB
7. Increase in departure angle

What I am looking for is an easy, yet inexpensive way to help my rear end (d'oh) support this extra weight. I figure by the time its all done, I am looking at almost 300lbs if not more. Especially when I load up a gas tank and my extremely heavy SSR.

Ideas?

[This message has been edited by Craisy Daisy (edited December 25, 2000).]

#80593 - 26/12/00 08:56 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Synchro was planning on getting a rear bumper fitted for his X over the holidays by these guys.
www.kenmtn.com

Douglasville, GA

#80594 - 27/12/00 06:42 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
yup, down here right now. should be done tomorrow if the place making one of the parts gets the part finished. otherwise it will be early next week when it is is shipped to me. I am getting all that you have in your list, but the departure angle is probably going to be the same. from having the stock bumper off today, there really isn't much you could do to get more departure angle cause of how wide the bumper needs to be to support all of this. If you were to replace the wrap around plastic corners with steel ones (which they are designing one to do), then you might be able to get some more clearence. but the drawback would be the added weight on your truck (approximately 50lbs more than the normal) and shipping it would be a problem cause of how big it would be (it would have to go motorfreight, more $). but i am only getting the actual bumper replaced and leaving the stock plastic wrap around bits in place. they are $25 a piece to replace so that is kinda hard to pass up and it keep the weight down. it is looking VERY sweet though!! the shackles on it should be around 15,000 to 20,000 just FYI. The bumper and swing-away alone should weigh in at just around 105lbs. add whatever for your tire, full jerry can and hi-lift.

If we get finished tomorrow, i will post pics ASAP. otherwise i will post them when i get it on there.

wo, beath to the person who rear ends me once i have this thing on. BWHAHAHAHAHA it is beefy as hell!!!! beefier than the ARB.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
Ashburn, VA, USA (suburb of Washington D.C.)
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, Auto, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs
President: Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club
http://www.maxc.org/members/synchro.htm

#80595 - 29/12/00 02:45 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got a reply from Kyle at Kennesaw Mountain Accesories and here's what he said about pricing: "At this time we figuring it to cost $325 - $350 for the
base model. This will replace the center section of the bumper with steel.
It will have an optional receiver hitch $65, jack carrier $25, CB antenna
mount $10, and gas can carriers (1 or 2) $30 each. The bumper will come
standard with HD tow points. The license plate will be relocated onto the
carrier."

I'm ordering mine as soon as there done with the one they're working on. We might mount it at their shop (about two hours from my house)so I'll post pics ASAP.

#80596 - 29/12/00 03:29 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyhack:
I'm ordering mine as soon as there done with the one they're working on. We might mount it at their shop (about two hours from my house)so I'll post pics ASAP.

I just hope that i get mine before you get yours since i drove all that way for the initial design, got back this morning at 1:45am. :-) can't wait for it!!

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80597 - 29/12/00 05:30 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Quote:
We might mount it at their shop (about two hours from my house)so I'll post pics ASAP.

Have you checked out our Club yet?
http://www.southeastxterraclub.org

Most of our members live in Georgia. We will probably be planning an Xcursion after the holidays. Feel free to email me or any one of our other members for more information

wqbang
wqbang@southeastxterraclub.org

[This message has been edited by wqbang (edited December 29, 2000).]

#80598 - 29/12/00 10:35 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the invite. I'll write soon. We are moving to Pennsylvania (Poconos) in February, but I'll have to let the X get a taste of the red clay before we head north.

#80599 - 30/12/00 06:03 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Thanks for the invite. I'll write soon. We are moving to Pennsylvania (Poconos) in February, but I'll have to let the X get a taste of the red clay before we head north.

Well once you move up to Pennsylvania, then look up MAXC . We usually go out wheeling once a month on average.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80600 - 08/01/01 10:54 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Loc: Worldwide
Got a date with KMA on January 15th for purchase/install of the Rear Bumper/Carrier with Gas Can, Hi-Lift mount and receiver hitch. Pics will be posted when completed.

Mustard Custard -- the name came to me in a vision after 18 straight hours of staring at my yellow x parked in a mud puddle...cosmic.

(previously known as harleyhack)

[This message has been edited by Mustard Custard (edited January 08, 2001).]
KMA Tire Carrier

#80601 - 08/01/01 11:52 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
So what's up, Synchro? Did ya get the new bumper yet? Don't keep us in suspense!

#80602 - 12/01/01 12:50 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

got it in and mounted. and before anyone says anything, YES the arm has to be that far out to clear the hatch coing open and get the jerry can mount in there. yes, i know it kinda looks funny. I am working on seeing what i can do to get that part fixed and still clear the door. I will keep you posted.

in the mean time, here are some quick pics and stuff of it.

from the rear.

for more pics go to. http://home.us.net/~stimpy/xterra/misc/kirk/

thanks to brent for taking the pics.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80603 - 12/01/01 01:08 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

How does the tire have to stick out that much to clear the hatch? If you have to swing it out of the way anyway... You could move the tire more towards the end of the arm that swings out, which will make it further away from the truck when open - put the jerry can holder on the other, "inside" of the arm.

Also, and maybe I'm just being picky - what's up with the space between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the trunk area? It looks like a good 2-3" drop in there.

Other than that, damn, that's cool. Two tow hooks, receiver... The whole nine.

Good deal, man. So are these gonna be mass-produced, available to the public - or is this a one-off kinda thing?

#80604 - 12/01/01 01:28 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Meeklo Offline

Loc: Toronto/Thornhill
Now that you don't have the tire under there or the factory hitch, any idea if the auxiliary gas tank from SpenserLowRacing will fit under there?

http://www.spencerlowracing.com/products/body_auxiliaryfueltank.html

Michael

[This message has been edited by Meeklo (edited January 12, 2001).]
All rights reserved to use whatever weapon I choose. - M.DSantos

#80605 - 12/01/01 03:54 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
Dude! That is just one mean ass looking Xterra now. Now you will most likely get a little more rear wheel traction. Does it drop down at all when you swing it out?
Just realized I would have to take the spare off to fit my bike & bike rack on :-(

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
www.geocities.com/gearhead1972/xterra.html

[This message has been edited by gearhead1972 (edited January 12, 2001).]

#80606 - 12/01/01 04:07 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
WOW !
Looks GREAT !

#80607 - 12/01/01 05:24 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Meeklo:
Now that you don't have the tire under there or the factory hitch, any idea if the auxiliary gas tank from SpenserLowRacing will fit under there?

it should. don't see why not. but do you really want to add that much weight back there? you will have to eventually get a new spring pack and better shocks to support more weight back there anyhow, cause of the added weight of the bumper. also, i would be worried, cause it does not have a skid plate on it. but if you don't go off-roading, it might be fine. but i am just talking hypothetically.

Also, KMA will sell the bumper alone without the rear tire carrier if anyone is interested.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
President: Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club http://www.maxc.org/members/synchro.htm

[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited January 12, 2001).]

#80608 - 12/01/01 05:29 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
How does the tire have to stick out that much to clear the hatch? If you have to swing it out of the way anyway... You could move the tire more towards the end of the arm that swings out, which will make it further away from the truck when open - put the jerry can holder on the other, "inside" of the arm.

talking to KMA now about fixing that. we shall see what they come back with. I too am not happy about how far it sits away from the body and the clearence from the taillight. we shall test their customer service.

Quote:
Also, and maybe I'm just being picky - what's up with the space between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the trunk area? It looks like a good 2-3" drop in there.

there is another plate that i do not have installed yet that covers over that. it should arrive today or monday. it got forgotten.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80609 - 12/01/01 06:40 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

As I've said elsewhere on the board, I'm going over to KMA Monday to get mine. They're fabricating it this weekend. It may be too late to change plans now, but I'm gonna give 'em a call tommorow morning. What do you guys think I should have them change from Synchro's design? I was wondering why they angled the tire like that? Is that "functional" design, or could I have them mount it perpendicular to the truck? I think I'd like that better. I may also scrap the gas can mount if they haven't already gotten that far. Thoughts?
KMA Tire Carrier

#80610 - 12/01/01 10:52 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro:
got it in and mounted. and before anyone says anything, YES the arm has to be that far out to clear the hatch coing open and get the jerry can mount in there. yes, i know it kinda looks funny. I am working on seeing what i can do to get that part fixed and still clear the door. I will keep you posted.

Nice! Yeah, it would be cool to lift and tuck a little but what I was noticing was: DAMN, that spare tire looks like a monster truck tire from the back! What an optical illusion, in the pic it looks huge! (and cool!) How is the ride.....any rattling with the hitch?

#80611 - 12/01/01 11:11 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
ned946 Offline

A few techincal quesstions fer ya:

-How does the bumper mount? Is it a flat verticle plate that bolts to the frame, or more of a rectangular tube shape?

-Could you post high resolution detail pics of:
-The frame mount area
-The hinge
-The latch
-The "D" rings

Thanks in advance and again.....nicely done!

#80612 - 13/01/01 07:55 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

1) it is a rectangluar box steal that slides into the C frame of the X. VERY beefy.

the whole this is reinforced all over the place.

so far no rattling with the hitch or D rings. i am going to put some foam weather stripping under the D rings so when of-road they do not clang around, but on raod it has been a no issue. probably going off-road tomorrow, so i will let everyone know.

I think gothamist took some pics of what you are asking about last night. my digital camera died last week, else i would get them for you.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80613 - 13/01/01 09:57 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Okay, so here is a pic of the bumper mounting to the frame, as well as a shot looking backwards at the trailer hitch. Sorry there aren't more, it was cold and my gf & I were on our way to a movie...Synchro and I might be headed for some trails on Sunday so I'll try and snap some shots of the bumper in action (maybe we can test those D-rings, eh?)

Also, for anyone asking, you can just buy the bumper alone w/out the tire carrier, that's what I'm getting (don't have the cash nor desire for rear tire carrier just yet, I just want the bumper for protection & recovery.)

Looking backwards at the hitch & D-rings

[IMG] http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra/bumper_mount.jpg
[/IMG]
The bumper mounting into the frame--if you look closely you can sort of see the frame stiffeners (e-mail me if you want the original 1024x768 pics, I'll send them to you.)

p.s. Apologies to modem users, the pics are pretty big (KB-wise), but I don't have time to compress them.

[edit] And to think *I* make fun of people for screwing up UBB...

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

[This message has been edited by gothamist (edited January 13, 2001).]

#80614 - 13/01/01 05:53 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
ned946 Offline

Quote:
1) it is a rectangluar box steal that slides into the C frame of the X. VERY beefy.

Thanks!
What do you estimate the total weight at (minus the spare, since its already back there stock)?

#80615 - 15/01/01 01:41 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

my guess is about 100lbs. not sure exactly though.

#80616 - 15/01/01 06:47 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Got my KMA today! Sorry about the pics,it was getting dark when I got home. Let me know if you want to see more. Dropped the Gas Can idea as we we're fabbing it up. Without a really long tire mounting arm, and/or the tire on an angle, there's not alot of room for a can. We thought about mounting the can perpendicular to the bumper, but I decided against it. So in the end: bumper w/recovery shackles, receiver hitch, tire mount, cb antenna tab and hi-lift jack mount. Tire and jack can't quite be centered on the bumper due to clearance issues to the left (tailight, hatch vs. tire and jack)when you swing it open. I've got no interference the way you see it now. Also, had 'em tack on a "lip" at the top/back of the bumper to fill in the body space under the hatch gasket. Looks real clean with the hatch closed. Plan to Durabak everything in Safety Yellow after I get all the mods done.

Can't wait for Mr. Trucker Man to get here with my ARB. If he doesn't show up soon, I'll either need some wheelie bars or a few sandbags to toss under the hood. TAIL HEAVY!

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1244072&a=9190433&p=38191747[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1244072&a=9190433&p=38191985[/img]
KMA Tire Carrier

#80617 - 15/01/01 07:11 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Olegkha Offline

*cough *cough DMV PLATES? *cough *cough

#80618 - 15/01/01 07:20 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Zip ties on the spare today, something more permanent in the near future. Thanks for ... um being concerned for my safety.
KMA Tire Carrier

#80619 - 15/01/01 07:21 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Olegkha Offline

You are welcome MG

#80620 - 15/01/01 08:17 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

Damn, that's hot! This version looks really sweet - wheel centered and hugging the hatch.

Two things I'm noticing; as with any rear-mounted spare, if you get rear-ended, the tire goes into the hatch no? That is, since the tire sticks out more than the bumper itself... Or is the tire up hire than most cars? Secondly, where the diamond plate is on top now, it seems to fix the gap that was present in the first version, correct?

I'm wondering if a flat surface with a rubber/plastic surface would be more practical for wear purposes than the diamond plating? Something kind of like the current bumper or stock side rails. Then again, how much use is it gonna get...

All in all, a definate improvement - looks really awesome... Damn! Combined with an ARB, you're ready for anything. The Spencer Low Racing fiberglass fender pieces might be the icing on the cake, if it works with the ARB and KMA!

How much are they going to run?

[This message has been edited by BoarderPhreak (edited January 15, 2001).]

#80621 - 15/01/01 09:19 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Mustard Custard,
How much did the bumper setup from KMA cost you? Do you know if they are willing to sell that design to other Xterra owners? Thanks for you help! Sweet looking X you have there.

#80622 - 15/01/01 09:47 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
I don't know what KMA charged MC for his bumper, but it should be available to everyone--the only real "one-off" bumper was Synchro's, since his was the first. Several MAXC guys have ordered them, I believe there are six of us waiting for them right now, so there might be a backorder but they should be in full production now.

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

#80623 - 16/01/01 03:49 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Meeklo Offline

Loc: Toronto/Thornhill
So with the new centered design it looks like from the pics that theres no room for the jerry can mount, no?

Is the HighLift jack blocking the 2" reciever? Also, is that a 32" tire and is it touching or impairing the mounting of the HighLift Jack?

Overall I like the centered design, due to it being more flush with the hatch. I think I'll be ordering one of these for myself real soon.

Michael
All rights reserved to use whatever weapon I choose. - M.DSantos

#80624 - 16/01/01 04:11 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Yipes, Lot's of questions.

To BorderPhreak -- 1. The vertical tire mount with angled support piece is so beefy, that even if a vehicle was high enough to hit the tire and rear-ended me, I honestly don't think the tire would end up in my hatch. 2. The diamond plate does a good job of cleaning that area up. 3. I plan to Durabak the whole thing (including plastic corners). If you're familiar with this stuff, it's like steel when it's dry. No wear concerns or need for plastic there.

To Lil_pino: I told Kyle at KMA about this forum (I think he already knew about it from Kirk)and the attention his bumpers were getting. I told him to keep those welding torches fired up because lots of Xterra business is headed his way. He's already got the bumper blueprinted. I think the only issue was the mounting of the tire carrier itself. The bumper went on perfectly.

To gothamist: "Full production" is sort of a misnomer. They're a real small outfit. There was only one guy working yesterday. But, it didn't take long at all. I think they'll be able to fill the orders in a reasonable amount of time.

To Meeklo: 1. No, I would forget about the Jerry Can all together, unless you don't mind having the tire mounted further away from the truck. 2. No, the hi-lift doesn't block the hitch receiver, just the angle of the photo. Yes, it's a 32". No, it doesn't touch anything (jack included). I only plan to carry the jack offroad. The stock jack will be fine for common on-road flats.

To all: Here's the price breakdown: $350 for the bumper w/tire carrier. $65 for the hitch receiver, And something like $25 for the can mount, $25 for the jack mount and $10 or $15 for the antenna mount. Ended up costing me $470, but I had to pay sales tax because I purchased locally (they didn't charge for the install though -- I helped out). The best bargain would probably be the standard $350 bumper/tire carrier minus the add ons.

By the way, the folks at Kennesaw Mountain Accesories were very helpful/friendly to me. They seemed to want to do whatever it took to make me happy with the bumper.

[This message has been edited by Mustard Custard (edited January 16, 2001).]
KMA Tire Carrier

#80625 - 16/01/01 05:56 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Two more pics:

The swing-away arm does not sag, my x was parked uphill.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1244072&a=9190433&p=38192387[/img]

Not the best paint job in the world, but the Durabak will take care of that.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1244072&a=9190433&p=38192140[/img]

[This message has been edited by Mustard Custard (edited January 16, 2001).]
KMA Tire Carrier

#80626 - 16/01/01 06:22 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
rhombus Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
DROOOOOOOOL......

MC the truck looks awesome (good choice on the color ).

#80627 - 16/01/01 07:24 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
MC,

Do you have a profile shot to see how close the tire is to the rear-hatch?

Gary

[This message has been edited by X_Jeeper (edited January 16, 2001).]

#80628 - 16/01/01 08:34 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Mount the Jerry Can long-ways to the bumper.

Plenty of room, and not much wider than the tire.

#80629 - 16/01/01 08:37 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Mustard Custard:
They seemed to want to do whatever it took to make me happy with the bumper.

We've seen your picture, they were nice because they were afraid of you

#80630 - 16/01/01 09:31 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

LOL, Ian...

Two more questions - will they powdercoat the thing for ya? Do the shackles rattle?

I really dig it. The pictures of it look awesome. What's nice is that you can "order it without" the jack mount, receiver - or other features, depending on what you need.

Think one of these and an ARB are in the near future!

#80631 - 16/01/01 09:32 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
rubbus Offline

Loc: Waltham MA, USA
Mustard Custard-
Sweet looking bumper! I second the request for a side profile shot so as to see the distance from the tire to the hatch.

Also- can the tire carrier be removed easily? Can the bumper be ordered without the tire carrier? If I had the bumper I might want to just move the tire onto the carrier/install the carrier when I went offroad- and just leave the spare in the normal position for every day driving.

#80632 - 16/01/01 09:40 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Boarder.... They don't do powder coating but I am having them color match mine with the current stock grey color. The permenant d-rings are optional and you can have hard points for removable shackles instead.

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net

#80633 - 16/01/01 10:06 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustard Custard:
Two more pics:

The swing-away arm does not sag, my x was parked uphill.

You have been very patient with all the questions Mustard, thank you. I have one as well. Is there some sort of locking mechanism for the tire carrier when it is out? (so the arm isn't flopping around in a less than ideal situation, say high winds, weird hill angle stuff) If not, could it be an addition?

#80634 - 16/01/01 10:11 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
BoarderPhreak Offline

Sweet, Mosi - thanks.

I'm thinking that welded on D-rings like the ARB would be the way I'd go - just to avoid rattling.

Matching the grey sounds like a good idea... But then you have to deal with the ARB as well. No biggie. I'm just thinking of durability over "just painted steel" which is sure to rust with a few scratches and scrapes. I wouldn't mind semi-gloss black.

#80635 - 16/01/01 01:59 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Ned946, Nope -- no lock out on the "gate". It's pretty tight right now, takes some oomph to get it to swing open. But that will probably change over time, so some sort of locking device would be a good idea.
KMA Tire Carrier

#80636 - 16/01/01 08:41 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
ZOOMHUSTLA Offline

Loc: Florida USA
Synchro and MC sweet looking upgrades brothas. Wish I had the money and the know how to do all that to my X.

------------------
It is hard work being this good!!!!

Jeff Javier aka ZOOMHUSTLA
2001 Silver Ice XE 4x2
"Sterling II"

#80637 - 17/01/01 07:30 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Sweet, Mosi - thanks.

I'm thinking that welded on D-rings like the ARB would be the way I'd go - just to avoid rattling.

Matching the grey sounds like a good idea... But then you have to deal with the ARB as well. No biggie. I'm just thinking of durability over "just painted steel" which is sure to rust with a few scratches and scrapes. I wouldn't mind semi-gloss black.

i have the welded on shackles and they do not rattle much at all. when i was off-road last weekend, i think i heard them once. nothing that a little weather stripping wouldn't deaden. also the other shackle brackets, are NOT like the ARB brackets, they are much thicker. where a normal shackle will fit in there, i am not so sure about the ARB hi-lift adapter.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80638 - 17/01/01 07:32 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ned946:
You have been very patient with all the questions Mustard, thank you. I have one as well. Is there some sort of locking mechanism for the tire carrier when it is out? (so the arm isn't flopping around in a less than ideal situation, say high winds, weird hill angle stuff) If not, could it be an addition?

hi winds would have a HARD time moving the arm. one you open it and rest it against the plastic fender piece, it is heavy enough not to go anywhere. rememeber, the arm weighs something like 30 lbs or more plus the weight of the tire and the hi-lift.

Synchro

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80639 - 18/01/01 07:22 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Shortbus Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL, USA
All I can say is WOW! That looks sweet! I've been waiting for one of these since the day I bought mine in Sept. '99. Just a quick question. How does the carrier lock into place when its closed? I know I used to have an old CJ and the carrier on there had a little lever that you pull up to unlock it and swing it away, problem was that would rust and make it pretty tough to open. ThanX for being so patient with all the questions (and for buying a Solar X so I can see exactly what it will look like on mine :-).

Justin

------------------
"If you are having a bad day and it seems like people ar trying to piss you off. Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle."

"Since the internet has no walls or fences, why do we need Windows and Gates?"

#80640 - 18/01/01 07:25 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Shortbus Offline

Sorry :-\ I almost forgot one more itty bitty ?. Will this thing fit with the Nissan factory reciever hitch or will I need to go ahead and get that added on as an option?

ThanX again,
Justin

------------------
"If you are having a bad day and it seems like people ar trying to piss you off. Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle."

#80641 - 18/01/01 08:30 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like your attitude shortbus...
Good signature

------------------
kennedyusmc@earthlink.net
quote:
It's hot in here... and why am I in this handbasket?

#80642 - 18/01/01 08:49 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shortbus:
Will this thing fit with the Nissan factory reciever hitch or will I need to go ahead and get that added on as an option?

i imagine you could drill it out and still keep the factory hitch, but it might look funny and the incorporated hitch looks pretty good, is rated the same and has a better approach and departure angle than the factory one.

i have ditched my factory hitch. make sure you hold onto your frame stiffeners though.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)

#80643 - 18/01/01 11:59 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Shortbus Offline

Cool, I guess I'll just get the optional hitch on it. ThanX

------------------
"If you are having a bad day and it seems like people are just trying to piss you off. Just remember it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 2 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle."

#80644 - 19/01/01 10:32 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
ned946 Offline

Could you have a couple of slots made in the bumper for hi-lift jack points?

------------------

#80645 - 21/01/01 10:56 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Mustard Custard Offline

Sorry for the delay guys. Here's the profile pic you asked for. I'll get better pics during the day when I get my ARB on and when all is Durabak'd (ordered a gallon last week).

I'm gonna get this rig completly trail ready before I hit the tuff stuff. I'd rather pay out for armor now, then have to pay the big bucks for damaged OEM components later. I learned that lesson the hard way a few years back with my Jeep.

Oh yeah, finished mounting/wiring my license plate frame. Ran the wire inside the swing-away gate. Pain in the a**, but got her done.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1244072&a=9190433&p=38712011[/img]

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE

[This message has been edited by Mustard Custard (edited January 21, 2001).]
KMA Tire Carrier

#80646 - 21/01/01 03:11 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
blenderhead Offline

Loc: Grovetown, GA, USA
I say Mustard Custards new spare tire setup up close the other day. I was actually driving down the road and spotted this "hybrid" solar yellow Xterra way down the road. I must have chased him about 2 blocks and finally caught up to him. His setup is really nice and am even considering getting one on my Xterra. I hope he doesnt mind having another X within a 10 mile radius looking like his. M.S. even turned me on to XOC. Thanks M.S.

Here is my X in its current status.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/moultriegc?d&.flabel=fld3&.intl=us&.src=ph&start=1e

------------------
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/moultriegc?d&.flabel=fld3&.intl=us&.src=ph&start=1e

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 4x4 Auto

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#80647 - 21/02/01 05:19 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
chrismc Offline

Loc: Saint Charles, MO
Well, I finally got an X after several months of "lurking" on the board. (Alpine Green XE-V6, 3pak, 31 BFG AT's, Torsion/SLR RR Shackle lift so far...) Less than a week after getting it, I got rear-ended... I've benn following this thread and thinking about getting one of these bumpers, albeit minus the tire carrier, if I want to move the spare, it'll go up top. The bumper looks insanely sturdy. Now that I have a fat insurance check to pay for the bumper, I'm thinking strongly about it. The problem is that shipping to St Louis would be pretty intense on this thing, and Douglasville is a bit of a drive.... I have a friend who's an expert welder... think it'd be possible to build one of these things? Basically I'm just looking at a burly rear bumper with integrated 2" receiver and tow rings. I'd like to get it powder-coated or durabak-ed with some of the insurance cash. Could any of you guys kind of give us a summary (or draw a picture) of how this thing is built (or what would be a better way)? Alsa, wondering how well it interfaces with the plastic bumper ends... Some detail shots of the ends, and any bracing in the construction would be appreciated, as would any dimensions (well, dimensions that I couldn't get by measuring my X, obviously!). Very sharp trucks, MC and Synchro... My little X will get there eventually... maybe I'll meet you on the road sometime....

Thanks,
~chrismc

------------------
31x10.5 BFG AT's Torsion/SLR Shackle Lift
Smashed Rear Bumper

#80648 - 22/02/01 05:48 AM Re: New custom rear bumper
Synchro Offline

yeah, stay away from KMA. bad customer service. i can say more, but i shall leave that for later.

If you want to make your own bumper that's cool. the outer part is 3/16" sheet steel that has been run through a sheet metal break to attempt and form matching curved surfaces with the plastic end pieces and match the stock rear bumper. under that is standard 2x4" box steel going across and then 2 more pieces welded onto that and they go into the frame. It would be better if the recovery shackles were actually all the way through not just weleded on the outside, like mine and MCs. go look at the Bulletproof site to se how they do their shackle mounts. the most difficult piece is probably the sheet metal as you have to get the dimensions right and then find someone who can bend 3/16" steel. i do not know the measurements of mine, but it should take you too long to figure them out. i think when Kyle and i did that, we did almost all the measurements in about 1.5 to 2 hours.

good luck.

[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited 02-22-2001).]

#80649 - 22/02/01 05:36 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Thanks for the details, Synchro. Once I get going with this thing, I'll be sure to share details/pics. Its really damn cold and snowy here in St Louis, so things are kinda on hold for a bit. (No heat in the shop)

------------------
Caver-X
'01 Alpine Green XE 4x4
Manual tranny, 3pak
31x10.5 BFG AT's Torsion/SLR Shackle Lift
Smashed Rear Bumper w/ Olds' Paint...

#80650 - 22/02/01 09:40 PM Re: New custom rear bumper
ned946 Offline

Quote:
yeah, stay away from KMA. bad customer service.
[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited 02-22-2001).]

Its sad to see this statement. I would want the rear tire carrier as the next project for my Xterra. Could you e-mail me on what makes you make the statement if you don't want to post? Are you suggesting that I look elsewhere to have something like this? Bulletproof?

------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal