2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81589 - 12/03/01 07:05 PM dash trim kits??
Xterraboy Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ, 85260
I was just looking on ebay, and had noticed the different dash kits that are available. Has anyone purchased a dash kit, and if you have, how do you like it? Does it adhere well to the dash? Are you happy with the change?

I was just curious and was wondering what some other opinions on the subject might be.

------------------

#81590 - 12/03/01 07:40 PM Re: dash trim kits??
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
I have the Nissan Carbon Fiber dash kit. Got it from Xterraparts.com and I love it.. Easy to clean and I have had no problems with it.

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2
TMTC (Texas Motorized Trails Coalition)Member # 653
KD5MQO

Carlton_McMillan@swxc.org
www.swxc.org

#81591 - 12/03/01 08:31 PM Re: dash trim kits??
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
Do a search on this one. Some guy awhile back posted some pics of the aluminum trim that looked pretty sweet. I've been thinking of getting a set.

------------------

#81592 - 14/03/01 04:25 PM Re: dash trim kits??
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
I am getting a 25 piece kit from Spencer Low Racing. I have seen it and it is the real Carbon Fiber, most kits that they sell cheap on ebay, are fake carbon fiber they are just black with print on them. Also I heard to make sure that they have the 3M stuff to stick it with.

------------------

#81593 - 18/03/01 10:41 AM Re: dash trim kits??
silvericex Offline

Loc: St. John's, NF. Canada
Hi there,

Just make sure you get the kit that is for your year Xterra. I have a 2001 but was sent the 2000 version (after I specifically asked for the 2001 model) and the pieces don't fit, especially the part around the climate controls...completely different shape. I bought mine on Ebay so it is just the 'simulated' brushed aluminum and is not all that great but does add a little pizazz to an otherwise dull dash. I don't recommend getting it on Ebay though, the person I bought it from (a dealer)is not answering my calls or emails and told me he'd send me the correct one (that was three months ago) and I still haven't received it!!

Jason

------------------
Jason
'01 Silver Ice XE 4WD

#81594 - 18/03/01 03:06 PM Re: dash trim kits??
XXXTERRA Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada
Here are some pics of my dash kit. I had Nissan install it before I picked up the X. [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1553013&a=11782819&p=44103618&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1553013&a=11782819&p=44103615&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

The fit and finish of this kit is great. No sharp edges and on peeling. Here is a link to a place that offers dash kits. I never bought anything from them so I don't know of their reputation. http://customautotrim.com/wood-dash-kits/dash_sp918.htm

------------------
XXXTERRA
Visit our club http://www.soxc.org
My web page. http://www.members.home.net/linossiy/frame2.htm Updated

#81595 - 19/03/01 07:49 AM Re: dash trim kits??
APP Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Its nice, I like it

------------------
2001 SE GoldRush.

#81596 - 19/03/01 10:18 AM Re: dash trim kits??
XterraNY Offline

Loc: Lynnwood, WA (Formerly Syracus...
XXXTERRA, on the site it mentioned door handles. Do these get hot to the touch in direct sunlight? Couldn't tell if you had these or not. But looks sweet.

------------------
'00 Super Black SE 4X4
Manik Brush Guard w/
PIAA 520s
aka "Buddy X"

'00 Super Black SE 4X4
Manik Brush Guard w/
PIAA 520s
aka "Buddy X"

#81597 - 19/03/01 11:01 AM Re: dash trim kits??
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
One of the guys in Nexterra has this kit. he also has a big plate that fits below the passenger airbag that has XTERRA stamped into it. pretty cool. not my cup of tea, but it would look nice on a white, silver, or black X. I think it's actually lexan that's been vacuum molded to the parts. But I could be wrong. best fit and finish I've seen for dash kits.

------------------
2000 Solar Yellow XE 4x4 Auto 3 pack
1974 Land Rover 4x4 Air Portable 1/2 ton 88"
My Geocaching site

#81598 - 19/03/01 11:09 AM Re: dash trim kits??
XXXTERRA Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by XterraNY:
XXXTERRA, on the site it mentioned door handles. Do these get hot to the touch in direct sunlight? Couldn't tell if you had these or not. But looks sweet.

The kit I have includes the door armrest and handles. The sun really doesn't heat up the kit that much, probably no more than the rest of the interior. The kit is very easy to keep clean though.

------------------
XXXTERRA
Visit our club http://www.soxc.org
My web page. http://www.members.home.net/linossiy/frame2.htm Updated

#81599 - 19/03/01 04:20 PM Re: dash trim kits??
yellow-Xdude Offline

Loc: Bradenton, Fl
Has anyone seen the kits from edashkit.com? They have a yellow carbon fiber for the Xterra, $219 I believe. I sent a email to them to see if anyone had installed a yellow carbon fiber on the Solar Yellow X. Answer was no but they have seen one installed on a yellow range rover that looked good. Anyone have any input on these dash kits?

------------------

#81600 - 20/03/01 09:20 AM Re: dash trim kits??
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
www.exoticwooddash.com, they have dash kits for X, If you click to enter, then click on flat dask kits and go to nissan (of course) they make the carbon fibre kits in yellow, red, blue, and grey.

------------------

#81601 - 20/03/01 06:49 PM Re: dash trim kits??
hotairX Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
This company has it for a lot cheaper: http://www.alkaplus.com/

It looks the same as the others.

------------------
>>
full of hotair...

#81602 - 21/03/01 06:14 AM Re: dash trim kits??
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Just a point of information - *real* carbon fiber is black or very very dark grey.

"they make the carbon fibre kits in yellow, red, blue, and grey."

Anything other than black is totally false and even most of the black versions are just clever imitations.

dave and Xtoy - the real stuff is expensive

------------------

#81603 - 21/03/01 06:17 AM Re: dash trim kits??
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
True Dave, but real carbon fiber isn't woven either. That weave is just there because it looks pretty. The stealth bomber, for example, doesn't have that pretty weave. Nor do bike frames that are painted.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

[This message has been edited by ILUVMYX (edited 03-21-2001).]

#81604 - 21/03/01 06:37 AM Re: dash trim kits??
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
I've seen some pics of the new kits Matt (above) mentioned, real nice finish, one nice touch, the part that fits the door arm rests actually curves down to cover the side. (Pre-molded I guess)

------------------
member of http://www.soxc.org
http://www.geocities.com/x_canuk

#81605 - 21/03/01 07:22 AM Re: dash trim kits??
DaveDatsun Offline

Eric -
While unidirectional fiber is still used in many applications, carbon fiber *is* woven into fabric.
http://www.hexcelschwebel.com/index-mp.html

For many applications the fabric provides enuf strength and is often easier to work with. I've used it to make several parts for my other vehicle.

Dave and Xtoy - who may get some CF one day

------------------

#81606 - 21/03/01 08:11 AM Re: dash trim kits??
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDatsun:
Eric -
While unidirectional fiber is still used in many applications, carbon fiber *is* woven into fabric.
http://www.hexcelschwebel.com/index-mp.html

I took a tour of the Trek bike factory and talked to one of the engineers about that weave. He explained that the frames start as tubes of unidirectional fiber and then later for cosmetic reasons a coating of that weave is put on. Unidirectional carbon just doesn't look nice, but that is still the functional part of the tube. Anyone who has been unlucky enough to break a bike frame or handlebars or a tennis racket or whatever can see by the cross section of the broken tube that the weave is only a surface coating. If fact Trek's top of the line 2.4 pound frame doesn't have it because they say it's a waste of weight--that it doesn't do anything structurally. I have seen that they make parts out of purely woven carbon fiber, but I don't think that's the norm. I think the reason being is that you don't get the control you do when using unidirectional fiber. With unidirectional you can arrange the fibers any way you want for the desired strength/weight characteristics.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ILUVMYX (edited 03-21-2001).]

#81607 - 21/03/01 01:13 PM Re: dash trim kits??
silvericex Offline

Trek frames aren't pure carbon fibre, they are OCLV (optimum Compaction low void)a mix of carbon and epoxy that is compressed into sheets and then formed. I have a US Postal service trek and a 100% carbon Fibre Kestrel KM40 and they are quite different materials. I also have carbon fibre wheels that also have the weave and they surely would not add something to the wheels to make them look nicer while adding extra weight. Just my .02 worth!!

------------------
Jason
'01 Silver Ice XE 4WD

#81608 - 21/03/01 02:06 PM Re: dash trim kits??
ILUVMYX Offline

I think you missed what I'm saying. The OCLV frames don't have that "weave" layer on top--Kestrel forks do. All carbon uses epoxy to bond the fibers--that wasn't the discussion. If you're ever unlucky enough to break that fork, you will notice underneath the half a millimeter layer of weave, it will look just like your frame. While I don't know if this is still the case, you could order that fork in what they called natural or you could buy it painted. The natural version (which it sounds like you have) has the weave but the painted versions don't. When you nick the paint you will see the carbon underneath looks just like your frame and not the woven look your fork has now. The weave on that fork adds nothing to its strength or rigidity. They put it there for looks and what little protection it adds to the functional carbon underneath. If you break your wheels you will also notice the woven layer is only skin deep. Call Trek and ask them about their reasons for not having the weave on their road bikes anymore. It's a choice to save weight over the pretty looks of woven carbon. Their old frames had the weave regardless of whether or not they were OCLV. The second year the Y bike was out, it was available in natural black. That frame is OCLV AND it did have the weave. Again, only on the non painted version--it wasn't there because it made it stronger or it would be there on the painted version as well. One more comment about the wheels. You didn't say what brand, but of the wheels that are painted do not have that woven layer on top either.

------------------

#81609 - 21/03/01 03:39 PM Re: dash trim kits??
silvericex Offline

OK not to be nit-picky here and get off the original topic but here goes...

As I stated I have a Trek bike and a Kestrel bike (complete bike...not just fork)...both are painted and both are smooth and non-weave, by looking at them you would think that frame material is exactly the same. When you ride the bikes, lift the bikes, flick your finger against the bikes you know right away they are slightly different materials. Anyway, painting the weaved carbon fibre just hides the weave, I know this as my Kestrel mountain bike which I used to ride was on my roof rack when I was involved in an accident and was smashed which revealed several layers of weaved carbon fibre. Weaving of the carbon fiber is what gives it it's multi-directional strength and shock absorption qualities. Carbon FIBRE is just that, a fibrous unidirectional material, there are unidirectional applications for carbon fibre but only when strength is required in one direction which would be a bad idea for bikes for the obvious reasons!

------------------
Jason
'01 Silver Ice XE 4WD

#81610 - 21/03/01 04:56 PM Re: dash trim kits??
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by silvericex:
OK not to be nit-picky here and get off the original topic but here goes...

As I stated I have a Trek bike and a Kestrel bike (complete bike...not just fork)...both are painted and both are smooth and non-weave, by looking at them you would think that frame material is exactly the same. When you ride the bikes, lift the bikes, flick your finger against the bikes you know right away they are slightly different materials. Anyway, painting the weaved carbon fibre just hides the weave, I know this as my Kestrel mountain bike which I used to ride was on my roof rack when I was involved in an accident and was smashed which revealed several layers of weaved carbon fibre. Weaving of the carbon fiber is what gives it it's multi-directional strength and shock absorption qualities. Carbon FIBRE is just that, a fibrous unidirectional material, there are unidirectional applications for carbon fibre but only when strength is required in one direction which would be a bad idea for bikes for the obvious reasons!

Now this is getting sort of nit picky but interesting anyway. I too have owned many carbon frames. I've had three OCLVs, three or four standard tube carbons (Trek and Specialized) a couple Kestrel forks and a couple Trek Carbon forks. And I've broken my share of carbon frames and parts. So I'm guessing we're both pretty knowledgeable and probably talking of somewhat the same thing. I think the concepts are getting somewhat mixed up. The weave you're talking about on the broken frame is not what I'm talking about. What you're describing is the multiple layers of carbon sheets who's fibers run in different directions to give the frame it's strengh and ride characteristics. That's not the weave I'm talking about. And I completely agree that the build processes are much different. OCLV is a superior process. No doubt. Plus there are design differences. The Kestrel is a monocoque design (more or less), whereas the Trek uses carbon lugs with seperate tubes. None of this matters--I'm talking about the top layer weave that is added after the frame is already built. When a Kestrel frame is done being built, one of two things happens, it either gets painted, or it gets the woven layer (looks just like the dash kits). This layer can be added to OCLV, monocoque, and standard tube designs. If you stripped the paint off either of your bikes, it would look nothing like those dash kits, but if you buy a Kestrel with what they call a natural finish, it looks just like those dash kits. If you look at the bike Lance rode in the tour--the one without the paint--it looks nothing like those dash kits because it doesn't have the added woven layer. If you stripped the paint off either of your bikes it would look the same as Lance's. It's not very pretty and doesn't sell very well so companies put the woven layer on because it looks so high-tech and when people see that weave, they instantly think "carbon fiber". For a while Trek sold (I don't know if they do anymore) OCLVs as "true" natural bare carbon frames. Meaning, no top woven layer. Just a clear coat. I worked at a bike shop at the time and we had a very hard time selling them. People wanted the high-tech look they were used to seeing. They didn't care that Trek stopped using it because it added unneccesary weight. So instead of going back to the ways of old (the woven layer), and putting their frames over the 2.4 pound mark, they just paint them all.

------------------

#81611 - 21/03/01 05:20 PM Re: dash trim kits??
silvericex Offline

OK...instead of really getting off the topic here maybe we should just agree to disagree. I think you're just trying to talk me into taking my OCLV out in the driveway, running the X over it a few times and then checking out the weave

I have used and seen lots of different carbon fibre applications but never what you're talking about, I even tore the thumb out of my hockey glove once and it was the weave carbon fibre...why would they use the weave for something that you can't see if it is used for aesthetic reasons only?

Anyway, yeah those dash trim kits are cool

And to hotairX...AlkaPlus is where I bought my kit and have had nothing but trouble with it and them ever since! They are cheaper than most but you get what you pay for.

Cheers
Jason

------------------
Jason
'01 Silver Ice XE 4WD

#81612 - 28/03/01 11:47 AM Re: dash trim kits??
ManiYAK Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO
These kits are a lot cheaper, and with more pieces. Has anyone gotten a kit from Alka? Any experiences? Someone give me a positive response so I can click the order buttun on the browser!

Quote:
Originally posted by hotairX:
This company has it for a lot cheaper: http://www.alkaplus.com/

It looks the same as the others.

------------------
Alpine Green '00 SE
Stock (for now)

#81613 - 29/03/01 06:34 AM Re: dash trim kits??
DaveDatsun Offline

This quote from Jason in the post just above yours should answer the question.

"And to hotairX...AlkaPlus is where I bought my kit and have had nothing but trouble with it and them ever since! They are cheaper than most but you get what you pay for."

dave and Xtoy - that was easy

------------------

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal