2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85374 - 23/05/03 10:01 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Yes, New_X_O, please post your pics. I think DNAGRL might too, so the more the better. I want to see what design they went with and how it looks in the X. laugh

#85375 - 27/05/03 12:02 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
DNAGRL Offline

Loc: Burlingame, CA
Since I STILL haven't received the gauge, I called SR Motorsports again. This time they tell me that the gauges are still being made. It has been since April 3rd since the buy-in was complete. I am starting to get very pissed off here. Their customer service really leaves something to be desired. Every step along the way I've had to call them and check up on things. This isn't worth the trouble! [Argue]

a very mad DNA GRL

#85376 - 28/05/03 07:22 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hear of your troubles with S/R motorsports DNAGRL. I don't want to rub it in your face but, I ordered my "reverse" style on
Thursday and recieved them in the mail yesterday. Needless to say I have a weekend project now and will let you know how it turns out.

#85377 - 28/05/03 12:29 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

really? Damn! I was part of the "buy in" too and haven't received anyhting yet. My credit card was charged a long time ago too! I just want my gauges. I've been pretty busy, so I haven't really been bothered by SR motorsports' bad customer service. But this sucks... Let us know how the gauges turn out.

#85378 - 28/05/03 12:31 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
DNAGRL Offline

New X_O,

Are you serious??? This is some serious bull now. I just check the thread from the frontier club that was also buying in and no one there has received their gauges either. Several of them have also called S/R to find up what is up. Seems everyone who has posted has heard a different story from S/R about when these things where made, came in, and were shipped. People on that board are talking about disputing the charges on their credit cards. If this gauge doesn't arrive by Friday, I think I'll have to go that route as well.
Has anyone who did the buy-in get their gauge????

#85379 - 28/05/03 12:39 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
Ag Bullet Offline

Loc: Garner, NC
Sorry if this is not working out DNA. At the time it seemed like a good idea to get the Xterra folks and Frontier folks working together.

We had crazy waiting periods when we did the gauge pillars too.
My Ride
Most of the world's problems can be solved with blunt head traumas.

#85380 - 29/05/03 07:20 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
DNAGRL Offline

New _X_O,

Are you sure that you received the reverse style that we all bought into and not the reverse halo? I went onto the website to verify that they are selling the same gauges that we bought into and the only styles that are being sold are the indiglo and the reverse halo (the difference between the reverse and reverse halo is a white glo in the middle). If you got the reverse halo, then I am not so mad because that is not what I ordered. Those are the gauges that they made without telling anyone that they were changing styles and people didn't like them. Before I call and complain, I want to make sure I have the facts straight.

DNA GRL

#85381 - 29/05/03 07:31 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
DNAGRL Offline

Oh and Ag Bullet, it was an awesome idea to get the Frontier and Xterra people together on this. Who knew SR Motorsports was going to have such crappy service? They had an excellent rating on Ebay (although have had 10 negatives in the last month from people not receiving items and SRM not answering their emails....sound familar????) and all they sold were gauges so I figured they were cool. If I ever again need a custom part, I'd still hook up with the Frontiers. Thanks for suggesting it!

DNA GRL

#85382 - 29/05/03 08:33 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

DNA,

I have not installed them yet but when I placed the order over the phone the sales person that I spoke with said that they only carried the reverse halo. I then said could you check and see if you have the just the reverse because that is what you web-site says. He then got back on the phone and said that yes he did have just the reverse in stock with out the halo around it. From the way they look now without being installed it looks like they are indeed the true reverse style without the halo. I can take a pic tonight and post it tomorrow and let me know what you think. If they are the halo style they will go right back in the box and back to them. All in all I think they are the right ones.

new_X_0

#85383 - 29/05/03 02:02 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

OK, I got my gauges yesterday. I won't have time to install them until maybe the weekend. From the looks of them, they are the true reverse style (not reverse halo). But without plugging them in, how can I tell if they're really halo's or not? The material the gauges are made out of is consistent from the center of each gauge to the outer edge. This is what leads me to believe there is no halo (which would look different in the center area of the gauge, right?).

Overall, It didn't bug me too much that the gauges took longer than a month to make. I didn't like being charged for them before they shipped though. The quality looks good and they look really nice. I'll post a report when I install them.

#85384 - 29/05/03 02:17 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

...come to think of it, I remember the wiring harness that came with my new gauges has a switch that I think is labeled with a "B" and a "G". This is probably for the halo-style gauges, right? DAMN I hope not!

Is there any reason why the real reverse style gauges would have this switch?

#85385 - 29/05/03 03:28 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking at them last night I don't recall mine having a "B" and "G" switch on the power box. Does anyone have a quick way to hook them up to some power so I can see exactly what they are before I go through the 1 1/2 hour install job?

#85386 - 29/05/03 06:17 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
DNAGRL Offline

IT ARRIVED!!!!! My gauge is also consistent with the non-halo style from the look of the backside. My power supply has the B and G switch as well as the dimmer. I believe that comes with all gauges, not just the halo style. I remember asking what the optional 6 color inverter was like and they explained that the one that you get comes with the green/blue option. This was before the whole halo thing came up. I'm really tempted to cut work tomorrow and put this in. If I go to work, I'll put the gauge in on Sunday and post pics.

DNA GRL

#85387 - 30/05/03 07:03 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well with some free time last night I TRIED to put the guages in the X last night. It seems to me that once you put the overlay in it still seems to be to high and does not sit correctly and then needles were sticking to the guage. I tried taping it down but was kind of limited to the space so it would not show. Does anyone know if there is a way to raise the needles with out breaking them. To be honest I get a little scared when screwing around with all that stuff and don't want to hurt the brand new X. Another problem that I ran into was which wire is the parking lights. In the previous install instructions from this forum it says the black and white striped wire, but I have the 03 X. Does anyone know which wire is the parking light for the 03 or does it remain the same. confused

#85388 - 30/05/03 12:45 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

S/R just told me that the B/G switch comes with all their stuff. I suppose I did get the correct style and the Blue/green switch is just ignored.

I might try the install this weekend, but I would hate to run into trouble. I don't know how I'm going to slip on that whole big piece (the gauges are one piece) over all 4 needles without messing something up... But I'll probably give it a shot anyway.

#85389 - 02/06/03 10:04 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
NismoXse02 Offline

Well? Anyone install them this weekend? laugh

#85390 - 02/06/03 10:10 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seems to me that once you put the overlay in it still seems to be to high and does not sit correctly and then needles were sticking to the guage. I tried taping it down but was kind of limited to the space so it would not show. Does anyone know if there is a way to raise the needles with out breaking them. To be honest I get a little scared when screwing around with all that stuff and don't want to hurt the brand new X. Another problem that I ran into was which wire is the parking lights. In the previous install instructions from this forum it says the black and white striped wire, but I have the 03 X. Does anyone know which wire is the parking light for the 03 or does it remain the same.

#85391 - 02/06/03 10:12 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

I got mine in and they look good. The biggest hang-up for me was finding the parking wire to tap into. I used one of the wires (the blue/red one) from the wiring harness (brown plug - left side) that goes to the instrument cluster. I was trying to search online and found nothing, then the XOC was closed. I ended up using my DVM to test wires individually. I got the right one in two tries.

The second thing was that the speedo needle was getting stuck around 70MPH. this was because of a high spot where the gauge wasn't sitting flat against the old gauges. I fixed this by doing a better tape job around the gauges.

Also, in order to really line up the idiot lights, you need to temporarily hook up all the connections and turn on the ignintion. this was you can line up the lights and tape it up so it won't move.

All in all, it was slightly difficult, but I could easily do it again.

#85392 - 02/06/03 10:17 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Quote:
Originally posted by rockout77:
I got mine in and they look good. The biggest hang-up for me was finding the parking wire to tap into. I used one of the wires (the blue/red one) from the wiring harness (brown plug - left side) that goes to the instrument cluster. I was trying to search online and found nothing, then the XOC was closed. I ended up using my DVM to test wires individually. I got the right one in two tries.

The second thing was that the speedo needle was getting stuck around 70MPH. this was because of a high spot where the gauge wasn't sitting flat against the old gauges. I fixed this by doing a better tape job around the gauges.

Also, in order to really line up the idiot lights, you need to temporarily hook up all the connections and turn on the ignintion. this was you can line up the lights and tape it up so it won't move.

All in all, it was slightly difficult, but I could easily do it again.
Want to do it again on mine? What's up with the tape? Why tape? Anybody try 3M spray-on upholstery glue?

Thanks

[Wave]

#85393 - 02/06/03 10:59 AM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
NismoXse02 Offline

So, who's going to post some pics? I'm curious to see what it looks like on the '02/'03's.

As far as tape vs. 3M spray-on upholstery glue, I imagine this was done in case he wanted to remove them later on or something? That's probably what I'll do.

#85394 - 02/06/03 01:12 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

I'll try to post pics ASAP... I used tape to hold the gauges down flat against the old gauges. Otherwise, if there is a high spot, one of the needles could bind up with it.

The high spot that I had (where my speedo gauge stuck) was in the center of the speedo gauge. Taping down the edges wouldn't remedy this until I pulled the edge tight and then taped it. One thing that would be handy though is double-sided scotch tape. I think that stuff would be perfect for holding down the inner area of the gauges. With regular scotch tape, you are limited to taping down only the edges.

...oh yeah, spray-on glue would work well if you wanted the gauges to be permanent. But it would be very hard dealing with slipping the gauges onto the needles without it getting stuck everywhere and making a mess. If the needles could be removed/replaced easily, it would be best to take them off. It would make the whole job a lot easier. I don't think this is recommended recommeded to remove the needles though.

#85395 - 02/06/03 01:28 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

Somebody on TUNFS already posted pics. It's a Frontier, but it's the same.

the guys ID is "threemi1esd0wn" ans you can see his pics here: reverse indiglo

I can still get some pics of mine maybe tonight or this week sometime.

#85396 - 02/06/03 01:56 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

rockout77,
When you did the electricial work, how did you tap into the parking lights. What I mean is did you cut the wire and then just twist them together or did you use those "snap down" things that taps down in to the existing line and then just ground it to anything in the steering column. If you don't mind it would be a great help if you could post a pic of exactly how you wired it and where you taped it down. As you can see from my post I had some real trouble with the gauges laying flat and did not want to overdue it on the tape job for cosmetic reasons. Let me know if you just want to send them via email and I will give you my email address.
new_X_O

#85397 - 02/06/03 02:46 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
rockout77 Offline

New_X_O,

I used the actual "snap down things" from Radio Shack ($1.99/pack). They eliminate the need for any cutting and are way too easy to use to consider any other method.

I really don't want to disassemble my dash for the 3rd time, but I'll try to explain everything here. When you have the gauges out, remember there are two wiring harnesses that plug into the gauge cluster? You will need to tap into the left side (brown connector). There will be a blue wire with a red stripe. This is the one you want to tap into. I found this by testing the voltage across the wire with the parking lights on and off (12V/0V respectively). I grounded the black wire to an existing screw that was within reach. You just loosen the screw a bit, create a hook shape on the end of the wire, loop it around the screw and tighten.

As far as the tape is concerened, lots of the area will be covered by the black piece that divides the gauges into 3 pods, so be as liberal as you can with the tape. If you have high spots, try bending them back a little by hand. This might help a little. I did that as well as making sure to pull out any slack as I was taping.

I hope this helps. I should have snapped some pictures when I was doing the job, sorry... I just wanted to get the damn thing together cause I was getting a little frustrated myself. Thinking back, it's easy now.

#85398 - 02/06/03 03:03 PM Re: Gauge Overlays for 2003 Xterra
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rockout77:
Somebody on TUNFS already posted pics. It's a Frontier, but it's the same.

the guys ID is "threemi1esd0wn" ans you can see his pics here: reverse indiglo

I can still get some pics of mine maybe tonight or this week sometime.
Thanks! [Wave]

Those look freaking sweet. As soon as I complete my move, I'm buying those babies. The "hard-to-see guages" will soon be a thing of the past for me. (And, without the rice indiglo) laugh

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal