2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85434 - 30/07/02 03:54 PM Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
OFFROADMANUAL Offline

Loc: Northern New Mexico
I just traded in my pickup for a 2000 Xterra XC and am having pretty bad back problems due to the seat. It is not supportive enough for my back and the position seems unusual (low and leaning back(?)). Does anybody know of a good aftermarket seat that has the proper fitting hardware for the Xterra? I read in a post that some seats cause problems by mounting too high, so I need to avoid this pitfall. Alternatively, is the 2003 Xterra driver's seat (XC or SC) any better and will it mount in a 2000? I'd appreciate any help with this since I can hardly drive my new truck and dread the thought of trading it in.

I saw a few posts of these issues but, have not found concrete answers to these questions. Thanks very much.

#85435 - 30/07/02 03:58 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
I don't think you'll get much information on this until the 2003 X comes out.

#85436 - 30/07/02 04:38 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
chucka Offline

Loc: Arlington Texas
i work with seats all day putting leather on them (xterra's too). and there is a couple thing i can think of that might help using your existing seat. if you can find a car interior shop near you, call them and see if they can add some foam in the lumbar area under the seat covers to make it curve to your back a little more. you can also do that to the front of your seats to hold your legs up a little for you taller people. they should know how much they can put on without changing anything with your cover. the second thing i can think of, which i dont know off hand where to get it, you can get a lumbar kit for your seat. it goes under the cover and you can adjust it different ways. i believe you can get in electric or with a hand pump to add air.

hope that helps.

#85437 - 30/07/02 05:23 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had an upholstery shop put gel pad and extra foam in my seat and it is much improved. Cost was about $300 (I think), but it beats having seats that don't match; or even worse, seats that are even more uncomfortable!

#85438 - 30/07/02 07:27 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Ag Bullet Offline

Loc: Garner, NC
Dunno if it will mount or not but I have heard that the 2003 Frontier seats will feature adjustable lumbar support. Might be an expensive replacement... Aftermarket might be better suited...
My Ride
Most of the world's problems can be solved with blunt head traumas.

#85439 - 30/07/02 07:49 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
Someone just recently(in the last two weeks) started a thread about somekind of lumbar kit they use. I think there was mention of miata in the post, you might want to do a search and you might find exactly what your looking for!

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#85440 - 31/07/02 09:44 AM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The '03 Xterra has adjustable height and lumbar for the driver's seat.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#85441 - 31/07/02 10:41 AM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I am not a big fan of the front seats either. I have been looking into alternative seats. I am looking at seats made for Jeeps by a company called Bestop (around $250 a seat for their top of the line model). I need to take measurements though. I don't know if/how they would fit. Recaro's too, but they are expensive. Also to have a local place that does custom interiors replace the foam.
Another alternative is to go to a junk yard and look for a wrecked sports or luxury car that have decent seats with lumbar supports.

I need a job first though.......

Stone

#85442 - 31/07/02 10:53 AM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
I'm not sure if he visits XOC anymore considering that he sold his truck, but XStatic had his seats replaced with some really nice Recaros... although he had to do some fab work to install them...

#85443 - 31/07/02 12:47 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Talk to socalpunx. He made some changes to his seats, and they are much improved.

#85444 - 31/07/02 01:20 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
My seat reasearch and info:

The seat manifesto part 1

And the solution that I went with is covered in this thread:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001209

#85445 - 31/07/02 01:34 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
OFFROADMANUAL Offline

Thanks for all the ideas. I visited a seat/upholstery shop today. They couldn't believe the cheap build quality of the Xterra seats. No springs, lousy soft foam and you're sitting right on the frame. The guy suggested putting 1/2 to 3/4" spacers under the seat mounts at the back of the driver's seat to raise it up a bit and improve the angle. He felt that if that helped, it might then make sense to add some foam padding to the seat bottom. Alternatively, he suggested putting in another seat and had an old filthy Corvette seat on hand. However, to re-upholster and install it would run about $700! Anyway, I'm going to try the spacer and foam idea. And, I dug around and found the post on the inflatable lumbar support and am copying it below. Find the original post by searching for "Miata" (in parts and accessories)as mentioned above. Cheers and thanks again.

"Lewis Lumbar Support

www.miatamania.com (Moss Motors)
800-642-8295
parts@mossmotors.com
$54 a pop."

#85446 - 31/07/02 01:37 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
OFFROADMANUAL Offline

Thanks for all the ideas. I visited a seat/upholstery shop today. They couldn't believe the cheap build quality of the Xterra seats. No springs, lousy soft foam and you're sitting right on the frame. The guy suggested putting 1/2 to 3/4" spacers under the seat mounts at the back of the driver's seat to raise it up a bit and improve the angle. He felt that if that helped, it might then make sense to add some foam padding to the seat bottom. Alternatively, he suggested putting in another seat and had an old filthy Corvette seat on hand. However, to re-upholster and install it would run about $700! Anyway, I'm going to try the spacer and foam idea. And, I dug around and found the post on the inflatable lumbar support and am copying it below. Find the original post by searching for "Miata" (in parts and accessories)as mentioned above. Cheers and thanks again.

"Lewis Lumbar Support

www.miatamania.com (Moss Motors)
800-642-8295
parts@mossmotors.com
$54 a pop."

#85447 - 31/07/02 04:32 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001209
socalpunX,

I have had the same problem with mine ripping too! I noticed mine about a year and a half after I got it. I had it replaced, under warranty, a few months ago. I think it is beginning to rip again. The padding on the right side digs into my lower back. I drive with the "guinea drape" and lean on the center armrest all the time. The repair job is warrantied for 12,000 miles or one year. At my next oil change I might mention it to the dealership again. But probably won't since the tried to f*ck me the last time (they tried to repair the tear with duct tape until I walked outside and saw what the mechanic was doing. I then called him over to say WTF are doing. He tells me they "told" him to fix it this way. After my "discussion" with the Service Manager, she tells me they will replace it with a new cushion.)

I have looked at XStatic Recaro's, but they are out of my price range right now.

PS: Do you have pictures of your seats?
Stone

#85448 - 01/08/02 07:20 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
OFFROADMANUAL Offline

Can anyone recommend a good seat upholstery shop in the NY metro area that works with the gell pads? By the way, I'm taking my X to the Nissan dealer next week to attempt a warranty claim on the seats. Any tips on accomplishing this besides telling them that it's busting my back?
Thanks.

#85449 - 01/08/02 10:19 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
I drive with the "guinea drape" and lean on the center armrest all the time.
[Spit] I always thought you guys were foolin' with the radio!! [Laughing]

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#85450 - 02/08/02 12:43 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
I always thought you guys were foolin' with the radio!!
Nope! smile

Stone

#85451 - 02/08/02 05:57 PM Re: Seat Problems: 2003 Seats or Aftermarket
jbrionesX Offline

Loc: Thousand Oaks.Ca
Its been awhile since ive posted anything, but I did get my seats done and followed socalpunX's advice and its the best modification on my X by far...Way more comfortable & I got the 2 tone (black&grey). My .02 cents, have it installed...theres no way, me and 5 of my buddies could have installed it...we'd loose it after 5 hours drunk n' stupid, staring at my torn up seats!!!LOL...!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:

Bilstein Shocks
Thor Mod
Billet Grill
Yakima Big Powder Hound
X-Net Raingler
Levoc A/T Shifter
NGK Iridium Plugs-BKR5EIX11

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal