shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86606 - 17/01/04 04:35 PM '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just installed a Brush Gaurd on my 03 xterra. I got a good deal and to a shot on it fitting. It does except for the secondary support brackets. New ones can easily be made and are not totally needed. cool

#86607 - 19/01/04 08:31 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why didn't you just go with a 03 Brush Guard? Could have saved yourself some trouble...

#86608 - 22/01/04 06:58 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got a deal on the 00-01 for a deal over $150 less than any brush gaurd. And it was no trouble. Bolts right on except for some added support brakets that are not needed to put it on and can easily be modified.

Well worth saving $150

#86609 - 22/01/04 07:45 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by orange crush:
I got a deal on the 00-01 for a deal over $150 less than any brush gaurd. And it was no trouble. Bolts right on except for some added support brakets that are not needed to put it on and can easily be modified.

Well worth saving $150
You could have saved $300 by not getting it - they are quite useless and greatly increase the potential damage in a fender-bender.

#86610 - 25/01/04 11:45 AM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

In a fender bender you could be right.
But it looks good and will protect the front end from branches and such when off-roading. the 00-01 is not as high on the 03 so hood would not be damaged as I have seen on some others

#86611 - 25/01/04 12:10 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by orange crush:
In a fender bender you could be right.
But it looks good and will protect the front end from branches and such when off-roading. the 00-01 is not as high on the 03 so hood would not be damaged as I have seen on some others
depends on how big the branches are. You might live true to your name and crush your orange X's front end.

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#86612 - 25/01/04 12:25 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did a brush gaurd abuse you when you were a kid or some thing? They call it a BRUSH GAURD not a tree or head on collision gaurd for a reason.

Relax a little. [Freak]

#86613 - 25/01/04 12:42 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
They call it a Brush Guard because Useless Cosmetic Non-Gaurd wouldn't help sales.

If you're driving through brush, then you are most often not on a legal trail, and shouldn't be there.

#86614 - 25/01/04 01:03 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Once agian. They call it off-raoding for a reason. The trials I ride are in the woods. with trees, plants, and (supries) brush! laugh
And if i'm not on what could be called a trail then we are blazing our own.
As long as you have permission its very legal.

you guys need to relax - really.

#86615 - 25/01/04 01:52 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
XOC Offline
Admin

Where exactly are you allowed to blaze a new trail in Maine ? Ever heard of Tread Lightly ? If you are running into plants, trees or brush, you are part of the problem.

I just can't quite figure out why you're putting a brush guard on your Xterra (which decreases off-road capability), but want a locker and a snorkle.

#86616 - 25/01/04 02:07 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that we need to protect the enviroment we live in. And I am not looking to destroy protected plants. Many of my friends and fellow off-roaders own property and some have logging companies and others have access (permission) to ride on paper company land in certian areas.

As to why the brush gaurd purchase. It was cheap and I could not afford a new bumper which I would have preffered.

#86617 - 25/01/04 02:41 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
XOC Offline
Admin

You just could have saved the money for a future purchase.

A brush guard is not going to protect anything. Plants and brush still get through a brush guard to mark the plastic and paint. Sticks and twigs that would normally just slide off the front end can get caught in a brush guard and poke holes in radiators or get leverage to bend sheet metal. They also decrease approach angle making the vehicle less capable than it is without one.

They are about the most useless addition to any vehicle.

#86618 - 25/01/04 02:49 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sooo.. Your saying you wouldnt recommend a Brush gaurd, right? :p

Any one want a brush gaurd? (just kidding)I will keep it until I can get a real bumper

#86619 - 27/01/04 01:09 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one and wish that I could sell it. I would much rather have a bumper and will have one in the next year if I sell the brush gaurd or not. Anyone want to buy one?

#86620 - 29/01/04 12:45 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
What's with the deep-seeded hatred of brush guards?! They do what they do: they look nice to some people. They will undoubtedly cause more damage to the vehicle in a front end collision, but it's not "useless" to have a brush guard, it's simply for appearances.

Why do people put on tires with the blackwalls out? Because it looks better to them and it prevents the letters from getting mangled. I think it looks a little odd but I don't rip on everyone on this board that puts them on blackwalls out. And it doesn't make the tires useless, it just looks different.

And yes, I have a factory brush guard. I considered something "usefull" like the Calmini setup, but (feel free to call me a poser or whatever) I felt the brushguard would suffice considering I do a lot of highway driving and less offroading than I'd like.

And let us not forget:

Bolting a piece of ~1/4" steel (like Calmini, ARB, etc) to the front of your X makes you liable for damages caused to another vehicle by that aftermarket product. NHSTA ratings are no longer relevant when you significantly modify a vehicle. It's a matter taken pretty seriously by most insurance agencies. If you happen to cause significant damage to another vehicle (including injuries and/or death to the occupants) you can be sued for liability purposes and/or owner negligence. So can the manufacturer of that component unless they have a disclaimer.

I'd rather my truck crumple (weird, it's almost like they should make vehicles with "crumble zones" to handle this sort of thing) than kill someone because I've bolted a cattle guard to the front of my truck, significantly altering it's mechanical and physical properties. Not that I'm going to hit anyone, but I'd feel pretty sh!tty if I rolled over a Civic and injured someone because my front approach angle was identical to their hood angle. But I guess that's WHY Nissan makes a weak aluminum brush gaurd. It crumples like an empty beer can, making it...well, quite usefull in the eyes of that Civic driver.

#86621 - 29/01/04 05:14 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

What!? someone on this post isn't ripping on me and my brushguard decision?
laugh thanx man [ThumbsUp]

#86622 - 29/01/04 08:56 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
N/P! smile

It helps that I own a brushguard too [Too much XOC]

I just get sick of people ripping on other people's trucks just because they have a different opinion about a part, product, or add-on. It's not even constructive criticism, it's like, "If you don't have part XYZ then you're a loser." I thought the whole point of add-ons and aftermarket stuff was to set your rig apart from other vehicles and to make it fit your lifestyle better. I've spent tons of time, effort, and money on my audio setup because I love music, but I don't rip on people for sticking with their stock head unit. If that's what works for them, that's fine, and I don't need to rip on people with a stock uinit to justify my expenditures!

#86623 - 02/02/04 06:45 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Buckshot Offline

Loc: Georgia
There are several theories surrounding the Anti Brush Guard movement: 1.) Some people on this site have had their hearts broken by a Brush Guard and therefore despise them at their very mention. 2.) Brush Guards have been known to abduct random Xterra owners and subject them to tests, bodily modifications, and other scientific research, often referred to in the Brush Guard underground as "Xperiments". 3.) Brush Guards often allow people to explore some different styling options and change the look of a vehicle whose very platform is based on style, practical use, and personality; what do you think this is, America?? 4.) Brush Guards have been blamed for such Anti-American antics as: Flag burning, co-writing the Canadian National Anthem, and Watergate. 5.) A particularly unfortunate Brush Guard in Shreveport, Louisiana currently under investigation for Mrs. Johnson's Grocery Store Parking Lot door ding. 6.) Brush Guards have been known to expose themselves at Halftime. 7.) Serveral Brush Guards have been linked to crime spree in Northern Minnesota known as "The Bugsmashers" (Animal Rights Activists are extremely upset and lobbying for a worldwide ban on all Brush Guard Activity). 8.)Two Brush Guards are being detained by authorities in Washington DC for their possible connection with Hitler.

Don't you know that when you put a Brush Guard on your Xterra, it gives you the ability to run into trees and rocks?? A Brush Guard is equivalent to Star Power in Super Mario Brothers. Some of these other members have a serious complex about Brush Guards and Im not a doctor, but I play one on TV. Give it a rest Fellas!! It's their $$ and their X so its no one's business but theirs!

PDXterra & Orange Crush... Bravo to you for putting your personality into your vehicles!!

#86624 - 03/02/04 07:23 AM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Buckshot has put it into perspective. [LOL]

Although, I would still wrather have the calmini or arb bumper over a brush guard.

#86625 - 03/02/04 07:33 AM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just an add-on to the discussion. Just so you know, I don't give a crap what you do to your own truck. I'm not paying for it.

I have wheeled with no guard, a brushguard, and now have an ARB. I loved having the brushguard as a place to mount lights. While it actually saved my bumper from significant damage on one (my own dumb fault) occasion, it also caused damage to my fenders over the time I had it. Being mounted to the frame, the guard flexes and wobbles almost opposite to the body, causing the wrap-arounds to contact the fenders. Since my WAAG guard had rubber "stoppers" in this spot, my fender was dented and the paint rubbed off about the size of a dime. Bummer, but I still liked having the light mounting capability, and thought it looked pretty good.

Now I wheel with an ARB. I love the added approach angle, winch option (someday I'll get one), and overall beefiness of this bumper. It has also caused body damage, though. On a steep, flexy climb, I caught the corner on a rock shelf, which pushed the bumper into my fender, bending the fender up and back slightly. Nothing earth-shattering, but it's off enough that my blinker assembly doesn't seat correctly on the fender.

What's my point? I'm not even sure I have one. Maybe realize that what you do to your own truck is your business. XOC is a great source of information to help in your decision-making. Some people think they're right all the time, some people just don't care. Have fun with your truck, and make it what you want it to be.

Keep the rubber side down,

#86626 - 20/02/04 09:49 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 04 - for about a week now. Has the brush guard. I think it looks cool. I like the arb and maybe down the road I will get it. The reason I got my brush guard was because the broker found the X with the options I wanted. It just happened to have it. It is way more useful than the rear tail light guards it came with too hehehe. Can the arb be mounted in the driveway easily with normal hand tools?

#86627 - 21/02/04 01:47 AM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
the arb (from what i've been told and is probably obvious if you think about it) is pretty heavy. but once you get a buddy(s) to lend a helping hand, you're ready to go.

#86628 - 22/02/04 04:50 AM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is always pros and cons about brushguards. I live in NYC where people can not park for the life of them. The guards protect against scuffs, dents and chips(seriously, take a look at any car with NY plate and check out the bumpers). Since I'm financing the X, I need full coverage. In the event of guard/hood/fender damage, make the ins pay. [Finger] They screw U w/ premiums, screw them back

#86629 - 29/02/04 07:10 AM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
blizzard Offline

Loc: Yarnell, AZ.
I'll REALLY open myself up for some shit but,is it only me or does anyone else find the ARB or Calmini bumpers ugly? Looks like something came off and wasn't replaced on the bottom. I'm sure they're great if you are into extreme 4 wheeling or rock crawling but most people, maybe I should say "myself" use the X for backwoods exploring , dirt roading, bad weather driving, etc. I think the brush guard does offer some protection but if I were to go "extreme" I probably would just take it off 'cause the bumpers are butt ugly. Hell, why not just get some diamond plate and a big ole arc welder and build yersef one of them thangs,look about as good. eek [Uh Oh !]

#86630 - 29/02/04 07:53 AM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
BluRdgX Offline

Loc: Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain...
First off, Im NOT slamming anyone who has one but to each there own concerning after-market bumpers.....like Ian said, "Who really needs one".....I just get the feeling some want them cause they "Want those internet guys on XOC to think they are cool". Which kinda makes them as cosmetic as brushguards.

I agree with Blizzard to a point....I think the 2000/2001 X's look tough with them, but they just dont look right on the 2002+, it looks like they dont fit or weren't made for it(Exception is Aero Steve-thats just a badass looking truck)

I guess if you need it, you'll know it, and if you have the cash....

BRX

#86631 - 01/03/04 04:48 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Motor man does have a point. Those brush guards are useful for close quarters situations such as parallel parking. Every cab in NYC has 'em.

The cons of the guard definitely outweigh the pros in the case of a 4wd Xterra. Those guards cause a great deal of front end damage in the case of a relatively small accident. They also cause more damage to the other persons car. If you rear-end someone, it is almost always your fault. Therefore, your liability insurance will be covering their damage, too. I have heard of a recent case where the insurance company refused to pay(liability) because the person did not have the brush guard declared on there policy.

I have been 4-wheeling since I got my "X" and have banged up the bottom of the front bumper numerous times; there is no way I could ever live with the decreased approach that the brush guard gives in front.

Aftermarket bumpers are ugly?
If I wanted a pretty car, I would have bought a 350Z.

.............Maybe somebody will rear-end me with one of those brush guards so I can buy an aftermarket bumper with the insurance money.

#86632 - 01/03/04 07:41 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
blizzard Offline

Loc: Yarnell, AZ.
Aftermarket bumpers are ugly?
If I wanted a pretty car,
I would have bought a 350Z...
So why didn't you buy a Jeep?

.............Maybe somebody will rear-end me with one of those brush guards so I can buy an aftermarket bumper with the insurance money .

There ya go, git some ranch rod an build ya a diamond plate bumper, don't matter what it look like.......
The person doing the rear ending is ALWAYS the guilty party in my state. Damage is damage, how expensive do you think an Xterra front bumper and assorted hardware would cost???

#86633 - 02/03/04 01:21 PM Re: '00-01 brush gaurd will fit "03 - X
Anonymous
Unregistered

"So why didn't you buy a Jeep?"
A jeep?
Wrangler: 2 doors, I need 4.
Grand Cherokee: To big
I dont think the Jeep Liberty can hold a candle to the Xterra. As a matter of fact a buddy of mine bought one and ended trading it in a year later because it was such a piece of shit.

Nissan makes an excellent engine, transmission and altogether quality product.

I have abused the hell out of my "X" while my friends with their Pilots, RAVs, CR-Vs and Highlanders stick to the street with their brush guards to protect their front bumper from runaway shopping carts or soccer balls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal