shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8674 - 09/12/06 07:47 AM Rust in Hawaii???
Anonymous
Unregistered

To anyone living on the islands or has lived there....
I have a buddy moving to Kauai in mid February and him and I have been debating on what vehicle he should buy for over there. The company he will be working for will pay for the shipmewnt of the vehicle so I don't think it matters where he get's it, here or there.

Anyways, he has been hearing from other coworkers that Hawaii has a rust problem with the salt and humidity. He will only be there for about 1 1/2 yrs before going onto our Aspen project so I don't think he has anything to worry about, but thought I would try and get some others opinions. What are the ramifications of having a vehicle on the islands?

#8675 - 09/12/06 09:11 AM Re: Rust in Hawaii???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, There are alot of Xterra on all Islands. If you live near(staying) the ocean, salt spray will rust your auto faster. (Within a couple of hundred yards or so.)

I have been taking my 1986 dodge ram to the beach/camping for over 15 years,(Very little rust,corrions from salt air. (just a little on the roof edge.)

It is cheaper to send your car than buy one here! Hawaii prices are higher,due to shipping and lack of competion.

Salt air is a problem, especailly if you park your car near the beaches/ocean.(with 100 yards or so)

Expect some corroions...for the long tern

It is not as bad as you think...

some auto do rust more than others...I would ship my own car here.

AGAIN: It is not as bad as you think...! Kauai is a very small Island. (the oldest). The traffic is very bad (only three main roads) to the center leading to the Lihue town.

Expect very heavy traffic in the mornings and afternoons and slow drivers.

Enjoy the Island of Kauai, my Mom was born there...Aloha

#8676 - 09/12/06 11:52 AM Re: Rust in Hawaii???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rust is not that big of a problem. Just make sure you don't have any exposed metal and put on a few layers of wax.

#8677 - 10/12/06 10:08 AM Re: Rust in Hawaii???
Anonymous
Unregistered

So in essence he can buy a slightly used vehicle, take it Kuaui for the 1 1/2 yrs, and leave without rust affecting his vehicle?

He is looking at a Titan or Xterra if rust will not be a problem, or a Wrangler for a beater while he is there if rust is a concern.

Also, he won't have to do much driving or worry about traffic, he will be living next door to the property.

#8678 - 11/12/06 10:16 PM Re: Rust in Hawaii???
SquidlyX Offline

Loc: Chula Vista,CA
I was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years from 94-97. I had a 91 Nissan Hardbody that I brought over and took back to the mainland and kept till I traded it in for my 01 Xterra.
No rust but the chassis kinda assumed a slightly red tint from the famous red dirt. laugh

"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar" Mark Twain.

#8679 - 11/12/06 10:29 PM Re: Rust in Hawaii???
Anonymous
Unregistered

just malama ka truck and you will be fine... I mean its not like you are going to have rust waiting for you as soon as you get here. Just make sure if you go to the beach or live near the beach you wash it once in a while to get rid of the salt build up and you should be fine.

#8680 - 15/12/06 01:25 AM Re: Rust in Hawaii???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I lived on Oahu for 3 years and my Jeep TJ was rust free when I left. If your buddy is looking to pick up an island beater have him check the "lemon lots" (used car lots on the bases).

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal