shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87092 - 29/12/01 06:59 AM Placement of Backup Lights
jfdonahue Offline

I just got my new '02 SE 4 X 4 and love it. The only problem is the back up lights. They suck. I did a search of these forums and saw that many of you have installed additional backup lights. My question is, where should the lights be installed to maximize visability while backing up? On the roof rack, or under the rear bumper? Thanks.

#87093 - 29/12/01 09:11 AM Re: Placement of Backup Lights
XXXTERRA Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada
I installed mine on the roof, and they work great. They, KC backup lights, cast a wide pattern that lights up a larger area. They are 55w each. Others have them attached to their rear bumper or hitch, but I prefer the light being cast down rather than across.

#87094 - 29/12/01 11:01 AM Re: Placement of Backup Lights
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
You stand a chance of tearing them off if you put them under your bumper when your out 4wheelin'.

-Rick

#87095 - 29/12/01 11:04 AM Re: Placement of Backup Lights
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
I have the rear air deflector so I put mine under the rear bumper. The deflector cut out most of the light for about 12' back.
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#87096 - 01/01/02 07:35 AM Re: Placement of Backup Lights
CDXX Offline

Loc: Beverly, MA
I've been thinking of rigging something up using my hitch and it's wiring harness. I don't offroad so I'm more concerned with everyday (everynight) driving. I was thinking of ripping a 2x4 down to fit into the sleave while having it stick out a few inches. I'd then bolt a light down to it about an inch or two back in case somebody runs into it (of course I would never back into anything!?!). I would power it by using a trailer wiring adapter that would just plug right into my pigtail! My only question is what size light to use so as not to fry the wiring?

#87097 - 01/01/02 08:33 AM Re: Placement of Backup Lights
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I was thinking of recessing a set of lights into the bumper. I'll have to look at it more though.

Charlie

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#87098 - 01/01/02 05:04 PM Re: Placement of Backup Lights
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by CDXX:
My only question is what size light to use so as not to fry the wiring?

Not too big, the wiring harness isn't made for high power lights, just normal brake and backup.
55 watts might work, but I'd keep a close eye on them.

Xterra101.com

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal