2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87315 - 17/05/02 11:36 AM "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
slamson00 Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I tried a search for this but my search function wont cooperate.

Real quick question, is it safe to assume that the K&N drop in replacement filter for the Xterra is in deed a "better" filter than the stock? I have read about its ability to pull air through with more efficiency, but what about fine particles? Sand? Is it any worse in this department then stock?

Also, for those of you that have this filter, does it have an increase in noise at idle and or acceleration. I am hoping it doesn't, but would like to hear your opinions.

I pre apologize for my ignorance. I am just trying to decide if it is worth the money or not.

Thanks

CJ

#87316 - 17/05/02 11:50 AM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
The K&N is by far the best filter out there, arguably. Some prefer the Amsoil, but to each their own.

The K&N will not only outflow a stock air filter, but do so when it's filthy as well! The dirtier the filter gets (to a point) the better it filters, as the claim goes.

You probably won't notice a real gain in power or noise, but a slight touch - yes! I think the K&N might give you 1-2hp IF that.

What is nice about it is that it will last the life of your truck, if properly cared for.

#87317 - 17/05/02 12:00 PM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
I would definitely go with the filter. I noticed that the truck runs at a lower RPM (just a little) and my mileage improved (just a little). BUT, all of this was within the first 6 months of owning it, so it might be part of the "break in" period.
The never have to replace just clean, makes up for the cost.

Try the search again; it's working for me.
There are tons of discussions on it. Scroll back to this one.
K&N- is it worth it? Form 2/26/2002

#87318 - 17/05/02 12:04 PM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
I'll have a year old K&N filter to sell on Tuesday when I get my K&N Aircharger installed!!!!

-Rick

#87319 - 17/05/02 12:33 PM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
Frostie Offline

Loc: Bakersfield,CA
I noticed the same things that Xterra 2K noticed. There is no increase in noise as far as I can tell. There is a little more power, albeit not very much. The biggest difference I noticed was the fuel efficiency. I gained on average about almost a full MPG. Even if you don't experience the same benefits, get the K&N just so you don't have to change the filter as much. It pays for itself.

#87320 - 17/05/02 01:14 PM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
slamson00 Offline

Thanks for all your opinions it sounds like from your experiences it is worth the money just by the very fact you dont have to replace it as much as stock. being able to recharge it yourself and go is a plus as well. Any horsepower gain is a bonus, but I would rather have it improve mileage. Not to mention it should work nice with a Calmini high flow exhaust down the line when the funds become available. :p

#87321 - 17/05/02 03:32 PM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
slamson00 Offline

Oh yeah....one last side note....after talking with the Nissan Parts rep at my local dealer today, he siad he has heard that the Air flow meter has malfunctioned on some Xterras from these filters? True...or is he just blowing smoke? Any coments?

#87322 - 17/05/02 03:35 PM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
Frostie Offline

Loc: Bakersfield,CA
Probably blowing smoke so you can continue to buy filters from them. Ive never heard of anybody having a problem from a K&N. That's part of the reason that they cannot void your warranty for using one. Of course the other part is that it is illegal for them to require you to use a particuar brand of filter too.

#87323 - 17/05/02 08:16 PM Re: "Filter" ability of the K&N Drop in Filter
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by slamson00:
Oh yeah....one last side note....after talking with the Nissan Parts rep at my local dealer today, he siad he has heard that the Air flow meter has malfunctioned on some Xterras from these filters? True...or is he just blowing smoke? Any coments?
Pure bunk. :rolleyes:

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal