shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8729 - 02/03/08 05:00 AM My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

So after having bad luck with finding an underground parkade that my truck will fit in i decide to park in one in downtown vancouver. The clearance is 6'6" which is just perfect for me. Upon finding an available spot, i back into it and the idiot i am, failed to notice that it was low clearance spot....arghhhh there goes my beautiful rack, ripped from it's roots mad

i must have stared at it for 10 mins in disbelief. Anyways im home now and im looking for a rack. I found a few but where can i get the all the necessary hardware to attach it? A lot of the racks dont come with them. Man this sucks. And to think i was just about to get some bilsteins. Unfortunately i DO use the rack quite often. So again mounting hardware, can this be purchased easily?

#8730 - 02/03/08 08:33 AM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
frown

Can you find an X in a junk yard with a good rack and just steal all the stuff from it?

#8731 - 02/03/08 01:38 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Courtesy Nissan: Linky

#8732 - 02/03/08 03:33 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sometimes I wish that would happen to me so I would have an excuse to buy one of these .

#8733 - 02/03/08 06:10 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, so i checked out the damage today. Here's my new problem.. The rack totally ripped out the nuts that you screw the hardware into. So the holes in the roof are stretched and bent out.

How do I remedy this situation to be able to rebolt a new rack? Do I have to open up the interior ceiling to get to it now? man this really sucks.

#8734 - 02/03/08 07:38 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Art...Did you park at that parkade on Seymour st. right near Pacific Centre? It's def. a risk backing in to a spot there if you're not careful. Good luck gettin' the X patched up.

#8735 - 02/03/08 07:50 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was the Pacific Centre parkade. I was stressing trying to find a spot. when i finally found one, I got excited and i backed into it not realizing it was a low clearance spot...Pretty ridiculous considering the height clearance is 6'6" on entrance.

#8736 - 02/03/08 09:06 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess i'll take my x to a body shop and just have them reconstruct the mounting holes, so i can just bolt on a new rack.

Can you access those holes by removing the headliner?

#8737 - 11/03/08 08:36 AM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

THIS was the forum i meant to post on. Arterra, there is an x being parted out on ebay check it out. In the picture, it still had the rack and air dam.

#8738 - 13/03/08 12:03 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I may be too late but...

Here is a rack. Xterra rack on craigslist

And

I once ripped the factory holes out of my GMC Jimmy by pulling into my garage with my bike still mounted to my yakima rack (long story as to why). To fix it I bought these expanding nuts at a hardware store. Basically you stick them through the now large holes in the sheet metal and when you tighten the bolt it spreads out the bottom portion of the nut on the underside of the sheet metal. No need to remove headliner. Then I just loaded it with silicone and reatached my rack. I think they were actually stronger than the factory nuts.

#8739 - 13/03/08 12:32 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply Shad. I do have one on order though. My uncle has an autobody place so I'm going to get them to repair the sheet metal from the roof because it ended up with dents in the rear most attachment points and the holes have already started to rust a bit. I don't want it to further rust especially where the dents are.

#8740 - 13/03/08 02:00 PM Re: My x is bald!! Need a new rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds good.

When I ripped mine, the bike was undamaged, the yakima rack was undamaged, but the roof was a mess. It pulled in dents above the passenger door and a dent on the pillar between the front windshield and the passenger door. I just lived with those. This was in 94.

Not to make myself look even dumber, BUT about 3 years ago I did the same thing again. The second time was with my wifes van (different garage, rack and bike too) and the rack was attached to rain gutters. So all it did was scratch up the paint on the roof and bend my forks on my bike. Both times the rack and bike were laying on the ground. And I was cussing.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal