shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88012 - 25/12/05 09:34 PM NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody know which bumper this is? and perhaps how much it weighs?

http://www.pnwx.net/index.php?id=15

#88013 - 25/12/05 09:42 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

looks like calmini.

#88014 - 26/12/05 01:32 AM Re: NO more brushguards
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Yep. It is a 1st gen. Calmimi bumper. About 100+ lbs.

#88015 - 26/12/05 10:28 AM Re: NO more brushguards
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The best bumper available right now by consensus and from a utility perspective seems to be the Shrockworks. It has about the same total weight, but uses thicker metal plate, and thicker walled tubing.

It has the best approach angle, and doesn't intefere with larger tires, is easy to raise with a BL, and covers only what it needs to, saving weight, etc.

It hides the winch from prying eyes/protects it, and can fit any of the X appropriate winches. A few people want the winch completely exposed though...and the Shrock unit is not for them.

www.shrockworks.com

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#88016 - 27/12/05 01:38 AM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

sweet, if i was looking for one of those............. [ThumbsUp]

#88017 - 30/12/05 12:34 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
The best bumper available right now by consensus and from a utility perspective seems to be the Shrockworks....
Damn, dude. You need to go sell used cars or something.

That is absolutely 100% UNTRUE.

All of the bumpers have different things that are good about them. Everything is going to be some kind of compromise.

Jim doesn't march around here telling people that his product is "the only game in town", so why do you???

I've seen all of these bumpers in person and they each have advantages. I went with the TJM after researching.

I think that a lot of this has to do with preferences. It also has to do with what look a person is going for and what their budget is.

Some pictures:

TJM:

Shrock:

Calmini:

ARB:

Everybody should buy what they like, but mine rules! laugh

#88018 - 30/12/05 12:40 PM Re: NO more brushguards
TJ Offline

Jeff - you are right.

I should add that if you have aesthetic preferences or monetary constraints, there are alternatives.

laugh

I did throw you a bone on the concealed vs exposed winch thing.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#88019 - 30/12/05 01:08 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeff have the wings or the part of bumper that goes on side of car really solid, or move, become loose. Bc i have heard the tjm 17 isn't solid, as in one peice.

#88020 - 30/12/05 01:15 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it me or does Jeff's X look like it is smiling? smile

#88021 - 30/12/05 01:15 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

....I should add that if you have aesthetic preferences or monetary constraints....
The buyer has options for about 100 reasons.

Had I been ready to upgrade my front suspension, I would have bought the Calmini, despite the fact that it was most expensive to my door. I needed a bumper that was lighter until I SAS.

Hiding the winch is not an advantage, TJ. It makes it more of a pain in the a$$ to get in there if you havta check something. An integrated solenoid winch in the Calmini with a winch cover is probably the most convenient setup out there. It is no less secure than the "hidden" setup.

Stop presenting your opinion as fact, man. All of these bumpers have different advantages, whether you choose to believe it or not. People should buy what they like, not what TJ told 'em to.

#88022 - 30/12/05 01:24 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeff, you do realize one thing. TJ is at least giving reasons why he likes the Shrock.

#88023 - 30/12/05 01:55 PM Re: NO more brushguards
TJ Offline

Yes - buy what Jeff says instead.

laugh

Jeff - I said what the advantages were, I didn't just make blanket statements w/o at least some back up....and I mentioned issues that would preclude my favorite from other's preferences as well.

In other related posts, I've repeatedly said everyone loves their own choice.

laugh

Sure, some people buy vanilla, some pistachio and some chocolate...and that's ok.

Some people buy a 2wd SUV....and that's ok, but, I think its a mistake, I mention why, and move on...because what's important to me is not always what's important to them.

Just like your bumper...to me, approach angle and the thickness of the metal, and the concealment of the winch are pluses, for you, not so much, and you chose what is right for you.

You spent a lot of posts expounding the Calmini bumper's advantages, and then bought a TJM instead. Why? Because it made sense for you.

We are all free to choose what is right for us, and, because this is the good 'ol US of A, we can also state why we think one thing is better or worse than another...which you and I do quite a bit of.

laugh

And, we are all free to make up our own minds as to the validity of each product's claims and specs, other's opinions, etc.

If I had a cart here, and I was selling these things, sure, I'd look askance at anything I said too, as it would be likely to be biased.

But I'm just another X'r, and over the years I've had product experiences with Calmini, SLR, Shrock, Skid-Row, ARB, JKS, TJM, etc....and I've formed opinions of them.

I express them.

You do what makes sense for you, and if you think I'm BS-ing you, you filter out what I say, as you would anything you think doesn't jive, and move on.

I'm sure other's don't need me to warn them that you are going to go on and on about the calmini like its gods answer to X's, and then buy a TJM, they can take all of what you said the first time, and filter it as appropriate, based upon what's important to THEM.

I go on about Shrock. I do. I love the stuff.

When people ask for opinions, hey, I have one.

I really like a few other product lines as well, but for X's, there's only so many vendors.

When I start sporting bill board stickers on my truck (I have no ad stickers or decals), and I get sponsored, etc...then you can look funny at me and ask if I only use a particualr part because I get paid to say so.

As it is now, I can just be wrong if you like, but never dishonest.

laugh

So - anyway, I've got this cream puff only driven by Mother Theresa to church on Sundays, she had to let it go, for you, I'll make a special deal....you got cash?

wink

#88024 - 30/12/05 02:02 PM Re: NO more brushguards
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ

Somehow I imagined TJ much better looking and younger!
laugh

#88025 - 30/12/05 02:26 PM Re: NO more brushguards
TJ Offline

Please stop fantasizing about what I look like...its creepy.

laugh

Oh, and fpldm3 - yes, the wings on the TJM are not part of the bumper, and do get knocked off sometimes, etc. (For some people, of course, that's yet another plus, ease of recycling...)

laugh

I think the TJM is the only one where the wings bolt on...I remember Brent's mishap where he hit the wing og his TJM with his tire, and the tire ripped the wing off the bumper, as the tire clearance is a bit tight (32's ripped it off)....people with ARB's have to cut off part of their wings to avoid hitting the tires too, but, the ARB wing metal is only 10 gauge, so it cuts easily.

The Calmini hits tires on the pre-'05's, haven't seen an '05+ with one yet, but they can also be cut off enough to clear, etc....but its 3/16" instead of ARB's 10 gauge.

laugh

#88026 - 30/12/05 02:32 PM Re: NO more brushguards
dezurtrat Offline

ROFLMAO....Oh shit, I walked into that one, didn't I! laugh

#88027 - 30/12/05 03:12 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
....Oh, and fpldm3 - yes, the wings on the TJM are not part of the bumper, and do get knocked off sometimes....
Get your story straight. The wings never came off. Brent's mishap woulda bent any "hoopless" bumper. He was also running wider offset wheels which exacerbated the clearance problems.

Regardless, the TJM's design has changed a little since then. My wings don't go all the way back to my wheelwell. There is plenty of clearance for bigger tires. As a matter of fact, the TJM can clear the BIGGEST tires due to the removeable wings.

The bottom line is that there are advantages to every bumper out there. You're just too close-minded to be able to comprehend that anybody would run a bumper, tire or skid plate other than the ones you have.

How boring would this place be if people only ran the one you say is the best?
[Huh?]

I have looked closely at every brand and they ALL have advantages. It's just too bad that you haven't done enuff homework to know that.

#88028 - 30/12/05 03:55 PM Re: NO more brushguards
TJ Offline

It was Brent's drivers side wing, and it got knocked off, there's pics. The fact that one part was left hanging like a rag doll doesn't change the meaning of what's been said.

The problem for ALL the bumpers, except the Shrock, is the distance between the tire and the bumper...and I have bigger tires than Brent, and mine clear my bumper with room to spare...because the way the wings sweep back on the TJM, ARB and Calmini brings them closer to the tires than the Shrock does.

Yes, the ARB and Calmini have tire clearance issues as well, but the wings don't get knocked off, because the wings are an integral part of the bumper.

So not ANY bumper gets the wing broken off, JUST the TJM...others, except the shrock, might hit, but the wings are a part of the bumper.

And, if I were to mount something like 38's, I'm sure at some point even the Shrock would hit it...but up to 35's seems perfectly fine...the others have trouble with 32's, etc.

In an impact from a front corner, say a lay over or errent traffic, etc...the TJM offers little protection at the wings, they are esssentially cosmetic bolt on's in that circumstance.

The Shrocks, and I imagine the Calmini's, would take the hit, and protect the corner...the ARB has really thin metal, and would probably crumple or bend, but not fall off.

So - you can try to convince me that you made the right choice, or yourself, it doesn't matter, as long as you like it, and accept that it is not perfect, just perfect for you, and accept its short comings gracefully, as a part of accepting it for what is is, the perfect bumper for Jeff.

laugh

The TJM was perfect for you Jeff, we all see that.

laugh

You are a serious wheeler, you do your homework...you make your opinions known...we just don't always agree with you...just like you don't always agree with us.

Thats why there is more than one vendor for each mod, and they are all making a living...nothing works for everyone....and everything works for someone.

laugh

I'm not trying to convince you to sell the TJM and buy a Shrock, I'm explaining why I like the Shrock better, and clarifying the items that had remaining confusion.

Please, keep the faith, don't let me or the result of MY homework sway the result of YOUR homework...let's keep our eyes on our own papers.

laugh

I heard that Woody Allen was caught cheating on a Metaphysics test, he looked into the soul of the boy next to him...

laugh

#88029 - 30/12/05 04:19 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

#88030 - 30/12/05 04:24 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
.....You are a serious wheeler, you do your homework...you make your opinions known...we just don't always agree with you...just like you don't always agree with us.....
Dude.....

Why must you write a book for every post?

Why do you refer to YOUR opinion as the "consensus"?

Why do you tell me I'm disagreeing with "us", as if you are representing the entire community? (or are you hearing voices again? laugh )

Your presentation of your opinion as fact is ludicrous. I can name advantages of EVERY brand of bumper over yours. Likewise, I can name advantages of the Shrock over other brands.

WHO CARES?

Buy what fits your needs:

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:

All of the bumpers have different things that are good about them. Everything is going to be some kind of compromise.

I've seen all of these bumpers in person and they each have advantages. I went with the TJM after researching.

I think that a lot of this has to do with preferences. It also has to do with what look a person is going for and what their budget is.

Some pictures:

TJM:

Shrock:

Calmini:

ARB:

#88031 - 30/12/05 04:48 PM Re: NO more brushguards
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
And?

Shal we not forget the JeffW bumper too.

laugh

#88032 - 30/12/05 04:56 PM Re: NO more brushguards
TJ Offline

You have illustrated your book....lots of pretty X's with bumpers.

laugh

I say "we" when I have a lot of e-mails and PMs, etc....that ask why I bother to banter with you, and I reply its because it presents both sides of the issue, and that you are entitled to your opinion, and the opportunity to present it.

So, yes, in effect, I AM hearing voices....I'm just being nicer than they tell me to be.

laugh

I do try to avoid insulting you, I don't think that would be right, and I don't think you deserve it...and, when you call me names/insult me, in frustration, anger, or why ever you keep doing it, I let it roll off, as you are young and still quite emotional about these things, or maybe its how you interact with people as a pattern at this stage in your life...and in time, I sense that you too will be able to allow conflicting ideas to coexist without stress.

And some day,...a young whipper snapper will pester you to agree with HIS choices, etc....but, this time, it won't bother you, it will be like playing with a kitten, as it very seriously play fights your hand.

I'm OK with you having a dissenting opinion. Keeps things interesting, and provides a forum for these issues otherwise left alone.

laugh

I have some other stuff to attend to, a freind's daughter needs a liver, my youngest is in the middle of applying, at the last second, to graduate school, I'm supposed to go and load up and re-locate a bunch of boxes 25 miles away, etc.

[Freak]

I think we've each made our points, you always like to have the last word, it always makes you post more happily, and that's a nice fuzzy thing to encourage and cultivate.

laugh

So - I'll leave you to continue the book if you think we missed something. I trust you to keep it real, as always.

laugh

[Wave]

#88033 - 30/12/05 05:21 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
....I'll leave you to continue the book if you think we missed something. I trust you to keep it real, as always.

Another book, I see. :applause:

As usual, you've missed plenty. Your oversimplified view on the matter has stated, b@lls out, that the Shrock is the only one worth buying.

I disagree, but won't waste my time trying to add information to this worthless thread full of your opinion. I will always answer questions honestly, presenting my opinion as opinion and facts as facts.

Like I keep repeating (and you have yet to refute), every brand has their good points. It's unfortunate that your not openminded enough to explore the advantages of all brands.

[ThumbsDown]

#88034 - 30/12/05 05:22 PM Re: NO more brushguards
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
OK, I haven't met or wheeled with either one of you but reading this thread invoked an opinion. TJ, you wrote: "The best bumper available right now by consensus and from a utility perspective seems to be the Shrockworks." I read that and thought, "wow, there's a consensus on bumpers, finally? where did he do his research? What does this bumper look like?" I actually went to your website.

Then I read the rest of the thread and discovered you were schlepping your own product, then you hid behind a "I always said people should get what's good for them" post with lots of smiley faces in it.

Bad form.

Sorry, it soured me on Shrockworks "permanently." Maybe everyone in this thread or forum knows you guys and "got the joke" early, but it sure seemed like a sleazy ad and you're lucky it didn't get plucked and shipped off to the admin forum.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#88035 - 30/12/05 08:32 PM Re: NO more brushguards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
......discovered you were schlepping your own product, then you hid behind a "I always said people should get what's good for them" post with lots of smiley faces in it.

Bad form.

Sorry, it soured me on Shrockworks "permanently." Maybe everyone in this thread or forum knows you guys and "got the joke" early, but it sure seemed like a sleazy ad and you're lucky it didn't get plucked and shipped off to the admin forum.
Amen.

My point exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
......I do try to avoid insulting you....
You don't need to hold back with me, so save it. Your condescending posts in conjunction with seemingly innocuous smilies are what's insulting. Not just to me, but to the entire community. wink

#88036 - 30/12/05 10:53 PM Re: NO more brushguards
dezurtrat Offline

TJ, I hope all goes well with your friend's daughter! Sorry to hear the bad news! frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal