2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88766 - 18/01/03 04:30 AM ** Calmini Rack Owners **
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
OK Calmini back bumper is on , LSD still on back order, sliders are on , lift kit coming, AAL's at the house ....so next is the rack. I like the quality of the products so far w/ Calmini - so does anyone have anything to say about the roof rack ? I'd like to hear from those that actually own one if possible please......any pro's con's or dislikes about it?

thanks

#88767 - 18/01/03 06:37 AM Re: ** Calmini Rack Owners **
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
I have had the Calmini rack on my Xterra for a while and here are my thoughts...

Pros:

Stronger than factory rack
Lower profile than having to put a rack onto your factory rack (Yakima, Kargomaster, Con-Ferr)
Yakima stuff will work on it
Has light tabs
Matches lines of the vehicle
It is not blue smile

Cons:

At the time I got mine it did not have a replacement basket (I believe that Calmini is getting that taken care of)
Lights on roof can cause some light flooding into the windshield (due to them being so far forward)
Does not have spiffy wind dam like OE rack (when they release the basket then you will get that)
It is not blue smile

Overall I have been pleased with the rack. I had to replace my factory rack due to it falling apart. There are three cross bars that support whatever type of floor you want to use and the space that is created is larger than any of the most popular baskets.

#88768 - 18/01/03 07:52 AM Re: ** Calmini Rack Owners **
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
Carlton - I what type of floor did you put in yours? Also how many pieces does it arrive in and how sturdy is the assembly after it is bolted together?

I have a Surco now that was a bolt together unit and I'm not really impressed w/ the build qlty.

thanks again....I'd like to have the rack, LSD and Lift by the time Moab comes around....next is going to be designing a way to carry spare fuel safely.

#88769 - 18/01/03 08:12 AM Re: ** Calmini Rack Owners **
SWXterraClub Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas USA
Quote:
Originally posted by emt_diver:
Carlton - I what type of floor did you put in yours? Also how many pieces does it arrive in and how sturdy is the assembly after it is bolted together?
I used some rolled steel for the floor (with the pattern you might see on a BBQ grill)

It came in 7 pieces and you really need two people to put it on top of the vehicle (due to weight)Once assembled it is very rigid. I have not had to tighten any of the bolts since the original installation.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal