shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90858 - 21/07/02 09:57 PM New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Raingler has finished the design for the external soft roof rack for the Xterra, and is finishing up the internal rack.

Here is the redesigned roof rack. It has been changed to 1" webbing, and uses much stronger steel tie-downs. The old design slipped too easily with the plastic buckles. The rings at every intersection of the webbing were also removed, and only run around the outside rows.
The final product will have 5 rows of webbing running front to back as opposed to 6 in this picture (the outside rows ran into the plastic crossbar mounts).

Here is the rack supporting my 80 lb. toolbox. There is some sagging due to the small footprint of the toolbox, but it still has 2 inches of clearance to the roof. Putting odd shaped objects like this on the roof is not recommended, but the rack will easily support a spare tire.

The rack was designed with stuff like camping gear in mind. Here's a bunch of stuff bungeed to the rack. Bungee cords can be attached to any ring on the rack or to the webbing itself.

============================================

Moving inside we finally see the new internal rack. This rack will undergo a change next week, since it was a bit too long front to back (notice it is attached to the grab handle). It will be shortened by one row so it attaches to the ceiling tie-down correctly.
This rack is designed for lightweight items, and items you always want to keep in the Xterra (blankets, tow strap, books, etc.).

Without overloading it, the rack does not hinder rearward vision in any way, and makes good use of the 4-6 inches of unused space.

Raingler will begin production of these products this week.
Orders will be made through their web site.

Final pricing will be posted here shortly.

#90859 - 21/07/02 10:25 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
I would get the exterior rack, but I still want to wait and see if I can get my own design built. The interior rack looks great as well. I think some hooks on the ends of the straps so I can take it out and install it quicker would be the only thing I would change besides the length.

#90860 - 22/07/02 12:07 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
OMG, the inside one kicks ass! I already did a roof rack in a similar fashion, but would be VERY interested in that interior rack.

laugh

#90861 - 22/07/02 12:32 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
Looks great. One question on the interior though. I've got the basket net up there right now, which probally sags considerably more than this new one, even with out much weight on it and being pulled tight. With that in mind, my rear passangers always complain about it, as it rests on their heads, and they're not all that tall [all 5'10 and under]. So will this new rack have the same effect?

#90862 - 22/07/02 12:35 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper X:
One question on the interior though. I've got the basket net up there right now, which probally sags considerably more than this new one, even with out much weight on it and being pulled tight. So will this new rack have the same effect?
The basket net was never designed to carry weight, only to contain items in the basket. This looks like a much better load carrying net.

#90863 - 22/07/02 02:10 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper X:
With that in mind, my rear passangers always complain about it, as it rests on their heads, and they're not all that tall [all 5'10 and under]. So will this new rack have the same effect?
That is one minor problem. Eddie will be removing the front row, which should help a bit.

I can't image needing to store stuff up there and having 4 adults in the Xterra, so to me the only issue is how quickly our dog will chew through it.

If you have people in the back, take it out.

#90864 - 22/07/02 02:16 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrian:
I would get the exterior rack, but I still want to wait and see if I can get my own design built. The interior rack looks great as well. I think some hooks on the ends of the straps so I can take it out and install it quicker would be the only thing I would change besides the length.
It installs and removes in a few minutes.
Using hooks would not really allow it to be tightened enough to avoid sagging.

#90865 - 22/07/02 04:32 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Love the look of the interior rack. Will be buying one when it comes out.

#90866 - 22/07/02 05:04 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
i definately would want the interior one. i've got no more room in the back for anything right now.

#90867 - 22/07/02 10:55 AM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
wongdog Offline

Loc: Pasadena, CA
The interior rack looks great...perfect for carrying around a blanket, extra sweatshirts/fleece...note that you probably could not put anything heavy up there for safety reasons (i.e., a quick stop resulting in the contents rocketing out to the front seats). But for my purposes, looks great.

Keep us updated Ian, and thanks...

ChrisW

#90868 - 22/07/02 12:04 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
What does that interior rack do to rear headroom?
Already answered.

It decreases it where the rack is, since the rack sits lower than the headliner. One row is being removed, so the front edge will sit back a bit further.

#90869 - 22/07/02 01:19 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
beanik Offline

Loc: omaha,NE,US
hate to ask this, but suppose you have to make a quick stop, is there anything to keep say a book or whatever from flying forward?

#90870 - 22/07/02 01:36 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
I didn't see the Xterra product isn't on their site yet.
Have you been drinking again? I don't understand the words coming out of your mouth. laugh

ALAN

#90871 - 22/07/02 01:41 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
wongdog Offline

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Beanik,
From the looks of it, and considering that it will be pushed back due to one less row, the only way stuff might not fly out is through the webbing being flush with the roof height of the front half of the cabin. This is by no means a reliable way of keeping stuff in, but as long as there is not too much sag and the webbing lines up well enough with the front roof, it would help a little. Myself...I wouldn't put anything too heavy in there, unless you want it stuck in the the back of your head.

Ian, you've seen this up close and personal...any details on this?

ChrisW

#90872 - 22/07/02 08:36 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
snip

Moving inside we finally see the new internal rack. This rack will undergo a change next week, since it was a bit too long front to back (notice it is attached to the grab handle).

snip
Hey that looks familiar!

Hey Ian did you paint your rack or buy an 02 rack?

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#90873 - 22/07/02 09:53 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by beanik:
hate to ask this, but suppose you have to make a quick stop, is there anything to keep say a book or whatever from flying forward?
Nope.
Only soft items should be stored up there (that's a softback Atlas in the picture, and the shovel is for demonstration purposes only.

I have a bunch of stuff I always keep in the Xterra, gloves, hats, rain jackets, blankets, swimsuits, and now they have a nice, out of the way place to stay.

#90874 - 22/07/02 09:54 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:
Hey Ian did you paint your rack or buy an 02 rack?
I painted it the day I ended my lease and purchased my Xterra. I've been waiting to paint it for 3 years.

#90875 - 22/07/02 10:31 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
GoldRush02 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I like it smile

Will the straps wear against the roof rack tube paint if they are tight enough? and what size tire would the webbing hold? will the webbing bottom out on the roof with the spare? and will the spare tire shift around even if properly secured?

Sorry for so many questions, but that looks to be something I'd invest in so I wouldn't have to get another 'rack.. if it could hold a 31" tire (when I finally buy a set) I'd buy it in a heartbeat, dependant on price..

The interior one is cool, but I doubt I'll put anything in that space anytime soon.

Thanks for the pics Ian! definantly cool.

Later wink

#90876 - 24/07/02 06:37 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
Raingler Offline

Loc: 8k vertical feet from the beac...
Finalized pricing is as follows: 64.95 for the interior rack and 74.95 for the exterior unit. Each unit will add 8.50 S+H and if you buy the set of both interior and exterior it will be 129.95$ plus S+H. Thanks for all the emails, I will let the reviewer (Ian) answer all the ins and outs once he is done. Kudos for all the suggestions and input, we expect to start shipping these Monday July 29th for pre order customers first.

#90877 - 24/07/02 07:17 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
BuckeyeX Offline

Loc: Dublin, OH
I don't know If I'd sell the interior piece. It only tales one moron who buys this thing and later has a wrench go through the windshield or someones skull to bring on a nasty legal battle. As a damn happy Sgt Lobo shelf/dog gate mod user I'm playing devils advocate here.

#90878 - 24/07/02 08:04 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldRush02:
Will the straps wear against the roof rack tube paint if they are tight enough? and what size tire would the webbing hold? will the webbing bottom out on the roof with the spare? and will the spare tire shift around even if properly secured?
It should not wear the paint on the roof rack any more than a Mighty Mount would.

It will hold a tire up to the width of the rack, which is about 34 inches.

The webbing did not bottom out with my 80 lb. toolbox up there, and a tire has a much bigger footprint to spread the weight around.

Shifting of the tire will depend on how well you secure it.

#90879 - 29/07/02 03:29 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
Raingler Offline

Loc: 8k vertical feet from the beac...
This is just FYI to those interested; the interior unit is available for immediate shipment! http://raingler.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Raingler+Nets (scroll down, it's the newest one) We'll be needing some nice product pics asap, and the exterior unit will start to ship by week's end. Thanks again for all the feedback, and again, this is for soft items only, please don't try to put your toolbox up there! wink
Note until end of August 02' if you get the exterior along with the interior unit at the SAME time, you will get 10$ off the total. This is for XOC members only, enter "RHR10" as the coupon code at checkout.

#90880 - 29/07/02 08:18 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Order placed!! It is great to add another vendor and aftermarket option to the mix.

#90881 - 31/07/02 03:36 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
[Freak] $64.95

#90882 - 31/07/02 03:58 PM Re: New Product Update: Roof Rack and Internal Rack
JBONE Offline

Loc: Elk River, MN
I like the interior rack the best. Would I be able to pick this up rather than paying the S&H?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal