shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92116 - 05/04/06 12:54 PM am I getting screwed?
babyX Offline

Dealer's charge for a new battery: $121.50

Is this out of line? I've never bought a new battery before, so I'm not sure (though they seem nice so far -- refused to sell me new tires because they mark them up so high. told me to go to a tire shop instead (duh).) The other work they're doing (alignment, oil change) seems priced about the same as anywhere else, so I don't think they'd jack up the battery price. Opinions?

If I bought a battery myself, how easy is it to install? Compare it to replacing headlights (which I still can't do myself).

#92117 - 05/04/06 12:59 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The hardest part of changing a battery is lifting the damn things.
2 nuts to loosen, pull the clamps off, 2 more nuts to loosen the hold-down bar. Old battery out, new one in, reconnect the clamps and tighten, and tighten down the hold-down bar.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#92118 - 05/04/06 05:05 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
As Brent said, very easy to change yourself.

And that price DOES seem rather high unless they're selling you an Optima (which is unlikely). Last time I was at Sears, I think a decent battery was around $75-80.

#92119 - 05/04/06 11:51 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds a bit on the high side. Under $100 would be more reasonable ($80 more like it). Did they tell you that you've got a weak battery? I also have faith in you to DIY... if you're that worried about screwing something up, have a friend come over to help read OffroadX's instructions out loud while you do the work. You can do it...

CAUTION: This is a little lame, but somehow seems warranted... when loosening/tightening the battery terminal clamps, be careful not to allow the metal tool you'll be using (e.g., wrench) to touch the (2) battery posts at the same time... unless you want to see sparks.

#92120 - 06/04/06 03:02 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it isn't too late, you may want to get the alignment done after you get the new tires.

Here a link on how to change a battery . Scroll down to step 2.

#92121 - 13/04/06 09:09 AM Re: am I getting screwed?
babyX Offline

I do believe I just got hosed. Opinions, anyone?

Here's my invoice:

Battery: 135.12 (quoted 121.50)
Replace brake light: 29.00
Oil change: 29.04 (quoted 31.00)
"Customer pay epa disp/shop ch for repair order": 19.32 (what the hell is that?? he said fluid disposal, but shouldn't that be included?)

I called the service advisor and he told me the additional charge for the battery is either tax, or a stocking fee as they were probably out of stock.

My next plan is to call the Service Manager and ask him what's going on, but I'm in a meeting for the next hour or so.

I hate that this is the only Nissan dealership in a 120-mile radius, and I don't know any other good shops in the area. Grrrrr....! mad

#92122 - 13/04/06 11:41 AM Re: am I getting screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW! Brake light $29! ! ! confused It's 2 small screws and a minutes worth of time. The dealer even gave me the light for free.......

#92123 - 13/04/06 04:57 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's an idea, pick up and screw driver and a crescent wrench at the local hardware store and learn how to do minor maintenance. With the amount of money you spent on that crap you could have modded something!

#92124 - 13/04/06 06:02 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

advanced auto will change the thing for you in the parking lot for free, at least the one closest to me does.

#92125 - 13/04/06 06:18 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Even if you aren't handy with a wrench, at least take the truck to an Advance Auto or Auto Zone for stuff like batteries and bulbs.

Example, when I bought my Optima battery at Advance Auto, they offered to come out and install it for me for free (I declined and took it home and did it myself). They also would have given me (not charged me) $5.00 if I gave them my old battery (I decided to keep it since it wasn't dead).

Had I bought a pair of brake light bulbs there (about $4.00), they would've offered to come out and replace the bulb free, too. Extra bonus, if you watch how they do it - you'll know how to do it yourself the next time (now that you have an extra bulb on hand).

The disposal fee you were charged essentially means that your $29 oil change effectively cost about $48.

#92126 - 14/04/06 01:21 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

YEAH Baby you are screwed

#92127 - 14/04/06 02:37 PM Re: am I getting screwed?
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
I just bought a new 6 year battery at Wally World, $43 including installation (I installed it myself in the lot due to wait for installation). Yep you got screwed.

#92128 - 15/04/06 02:19 AM Re: am I getting screwed?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I think you definitely got ripped off. If they can't explain each and every charge in detail, i'd dispute the charge. Furthermore, you probably only authorized them to charge you what you were quoted, if they charge you more, well...they can't as far as I know. Find your local community college and take a beginning shop class. Lasts several weeks but will be cheap and knowledgable.

Good luck!

B.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal