shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92176 - 27/01/04 09:04 AM What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took my X in for the 96000 km maintenance last week. When I dropped it off everything was fine and when I picked it up it was making a quick whooshing noise from somewhere in the engine compartment. The mechanic that gave me my keys said he thought it was probably a manifold leak and I should book a follow up appointment to have it checked. Well this dealership refuses to provide loaner vehicles so I went to a dealer near where I work. It took him about a minute to find the problem, the noise was coming from around one of the spark plugs that the first place had not tightened down!!! In fact they had damaged the threads! It took them an hour and a half to fix it enough to get another spark plug install but say that the work can't be warranted.
I went back to the original dealership and spoke to the service manager. He offered me a free oil change!!! Should I just go straight to Nissan Canada? BTW the 96k maintenance cost me $725.00

#92177 - 27/01/04 06:13 PM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hell Yes!!
If the dealer screwed it up, then they are responsible for it.. save all your paperwork. If the first dealer didn't make any note on your paperwork that there was a problem when you brought it in, and the second dealer spotted it, especially if it is somthing the first one worked on, then it is the first one's fault..

#92178 - 28/01/04 02:00 PM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm ... free oil change, in exchange for f*cking up your threads??? No freakin' way. I think they're playing chicken hoping you'll flinch first and just go away. This isn't a little inexpensive mistake... I'd definitely let Nissan HQ know about this and make sure someone takes responsibility for it. Take pictures if you can, and get all your service records together to help support your case. It's guys like this that give decent mechanics a bad name...

#92179 - 10/02/04 09:09 AM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, really getting upset now. Still no money and my X is still not running right (idles rough and mis-fires) I've called and sent a letter to Nissan Canada because the dealership won't return my calls! Nice huh? Stay away from Oakville Nissan!!!

#92180 - 10/02/04 06:39 PM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Make sure to keep all your records and if nissan canada or the dealer that did the damage doesnt fix the problem they caused take them to small claims court for the amount it will take to get the damage repaired proper.

#92181 - 13/02/04 03:03 PM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I just got a letter back from Nissan Canada. Talk about a waste of time!!! They start off saying how they "continuously strive for excellence in customer service", and then wash their hands of the whole thing and tell me I'm on my own!!
Great customer service! I'll be sure to tell all my friends to buy a Nissan!!
I'm out close to a grand and my X is still running like crap! All I want is my X back the way it was.

#92182 - 13/02/04 04:08 PM Re: What would you do?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
How did the second dealer fix it? Did they just try to re-tap the threads or did they install a sleeve? I would venture a guess that that spark plug (if not some of the others too) is still not installed correctly and/or isn't gapped properly. Of course, now you're caught in the middle between the first dealer who fucked it up and the second who tried and apparently failed to fix it. I would keep whining at both of them until you get some satisfaction.

#92183 - 13/02/04 05:02 PM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, they re-tapped the threads (or at least that's what the invoice says). The second place is trying to tell me that it's the wires and cap (funny how they were fine until I had the service, huh?). My faith in dealer service is pretty much gone at this point. I think I'll have to take a day off work and camp out at the first dealer until they fix it!

#92184 - 18/02/04 11:57 AM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, the original dealer is going to take a look at it this weekend. What should I look for as far as repairs? The second dealer only did a 'band aid' repair, what should I have them do to fix it so it's as good as new (or at least as good as it was before they screwed it up)?

#92185 - 21/02/04 11:55 AM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OMG!! The horror continues! I took the X in this morning at 8 am as per the arrangement I made with the service manager on Monday.
Well, when I showed up, not only was the service manager not there, but I wasn't booked in and no one was expecting me or knew what was going on. They finally agreed to look at it, but I don't think they actually did since they called me four hours later and said they could find nothing wrong!
I mean this isn't something subtle, you just need to turn the car on and listen to it mis-fire for craps sake!!
I guess I'll need to go to another mechanic and have it repaired properly and sue them for the costs. What a huge pain in the a$$!!!

#92186 - 26/02/04 08:33 AM Re: What would you do?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Maybe it's time for you to take it to your local tv station...? [Uh Oh !]

#92187 - 26/02/04 08:39 AM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I guess I'm just dumb enough to have believed they would have wanted to make this right without having to get the media involved. The Toronto paper has a column for just this sort of thing and the local tv station has a consumer watch dog guy as well.

#92188 - 26/02/04 08:53 AM Re: What would you do?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I would also tell them about the board and how you will be sure to document your problems for all Nissan owners that would use that dealership.

#92189 - 27/02/04 04:21 PM Re: What would you do?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I feel your pain. Keep us posted. I'm very curious to hear what the problem finally turns out to be.

#92190 - 29/02/04 12:00 AM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I kind of had the same thing happen to me except it wasn’t a Nissan dealer. I took my X into HiFi buys to have them install some better speakers. When the installer cam and said my vehicle was ready and brought me back to the install bay. He said that there is a little problem. I said “what little problem?”

He took me around to the passenger door and what I observed was that the installer had taken the hinge bolt out of the door. When he attempted to put it back in he broke it off. I spoke with his manager he told me to come back the following Saturday and he would get the screw out. I said fine even though I was highly pissed off. I then went to GPN (Gwinnett Place Nissan.) the next day. The service advisor was very surprised. He asked me how that happened I told him and I asked him for an estimate, the estimate he gave me was $125.00 I thought to my self that wasn’t bad for a big f--- up.

I went back to HiFi buys on Saturday. The installer manager explained to me what he was going to do. I told him I don’t care what you do as long as that screw comes out the threads aren’t stripped and you don’t scratch the paint. After about an hour I went back to the install bay. What I saw is that he had made a bad situation worse. The manager had broken the drill bit off in the door. Now I had a screw and a drill bit broken off in my 2 month 3 week old Xterra. I was just a little pissed off. The manager said well may be you should take it to Nissan and have them do it. He told me that all I will have to do is bring them a bill to get reimbursed. I told him that I don’t have an extra $5-6 hundred dollars lying around because that is probably what it was going to cost now that he made the situation worse. I ended up leaving with out a resolution because I wanted to go back to Nissan and find out what the new cost to fix the door would be.

GPN told me that it would be about $350-400; they gave me an estimate invoice for $425.00. I went back to HiFi buys and asked for the store manager. I explained the entire situation to the manager and told me that he was sorry for the damage to my vehicle. I showed him what had happened. We went back into the store and I showed him the invoice from Nissan he said that is a lot of money. I stated yes, it is I am glad that you see it that way. He asked me why so much. I told him that if the install bay manager would have just let Nissan fix it in the first place it would have only been $125.00 he said you have got to be kidding he looked very annoyed at the other manager. He said alright I can get you the $425 I said what about some type of compensation for my time and gas. He said unfortunately I can’t compensate you for that. I said fine all I want is for my vehicle to be repaired. He stated that our insurance company will mail you a check for $425 in about seven days.

Well it has been about three weeks now and no check. I am going to give them till Friday then I am going to call and find out what’s going on because I would like to go and get my truck fixed because some one is going to open my door and it is going to fly back and bend a finder or something so I feel your Paine man. I wish you luck.

#92191 - 29/02/04 07:51 AM Re: What would you do?
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia
Chris
Take the HiFi Buy folks to court. Sue for damages,time, lost wages etc....

#92192 - 01/03/04 07:15 PM Re: What would you do?
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by need-a-hammer:
snip all that stuff about that bolt
Yeah they really messed that thing up! I saw it when they first broke off before they tried to drill it out.

The part they actually unbolted from the body is called the “check strap back” they didn’t actually remove any of the hinges.

#23 in this picture

Only reason I can see they removed it was to get to where the wires go from the dash to the door. They told Chris he needed new speaker wires fro his new speakers, which may have been BS I don’t know. I do know that it is quite a bit more damage now! They actually bent the plate behind the body that the bolt is in.

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#92193 - 03/03/04 12:28 PM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm, looks like my thread has been hijacked smile
Anyway, I finally got the 150.00 from Oakville. Now there's just the problem of getting it fixed properly and of course getting that money out of them......
Not sure if it's worth the ulcer!

#92194 - 18/03/04 01:12 PM Re: What would you do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So besides breaking your door, did they install the stereo properly?

#92195 - 18/03/04 01:25 PM Re: What would you do?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
You just keep going up the chain of command until you either get the satisfacton you are looking for or find that once there is no one else to discuss the issuse with you are either SOL or going to court.

I had a similar although quite bizarre experience with a stereo install on the X a few years ago.

Not all disasters turn out badly!

#92196 - 22/03/04 05:15 PM Re: What would you do?
altima Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've learned that if it looks and runs great don't fuck with it. Even with 96,000 miles on it.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal