shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93228 - 17/09/03 02:35 PM New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm trying to figure out whats a good price to pay for the following:
Xterra XE-V6 4x4
Sport Package, Power Package, and Dyanamic Control

I've hit Edmunds.com and have emailed a couple of dealers but noone wants to budge off of this Invoice crap. Is everyone in the world so gullible to pay what they "think" the dealer spent on a vehicle? Has anyone had a good experience in the Orlando area? Anyone recieved a great price over the internet?

Thanks for any input.
Sincerely,
a-frustrated-4x2-owner-wanting-a-4x4

#93229 - 17/09/03 06:10 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

The internet may be nice for shopping but I don't think any dealer will really put a good price out on the web. If they did you could sit there and play one dealer against another without leaving home.

If Wall Street is the last bastion of free enterprise, then car dealers are the last bastion of bargaining.

#93230 - 17/09/03 07:01 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
http://www.carbuyingtips.com

Read it. Learn it. Save with it...

Want to find out exactly what you should be paying? Take out the guesswork, fill out the spreadsheet in chapter 4 here:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm

Don't have Microsoft office and therefore don't have Microsoft Excell at home? Download OpenOffice (it's free) and compatable with Excell from:

http://www.openoffice.org

Good luck - with a little planning an research (and shop via fax to as many dealers as you can - I faxed over 30!) you too can pay below invoice...

#93231 - 17/09/03 07:04 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DelrayBill:
The internet may be nice for shopping but I don't think any dealer will really put a good price out on the web. If they did you could sit there and play one dealer against another without leaving home.
If you sample a large number of dealers, you WILL hit one that is willing to make a quick, low fuss sale to meet a sales quota. Works best at the end of the month (I first faxed for my Xterra three days before the end of the month).

I shoped by fax, locked in my deal via email, and only talked with the salesman via phone to confirm all the options on the truck and put down a deposit via credit card. Went in the next day, took delivery and was out the door in less than two hours (loan processing and all). A good hour of that was me going over the truck and taking it for a good test drive (with a friend!)

So, you absoultely can get a good deal via fax or email (Fax is usually better). Middle of the week is better than weekends... etc... read http://www.carbuyingtips.com - it's well worth it!

#93232 - 18/09/03 03:39 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
DocNo Offline

Here's the fax I used. I compiled it from a variety of sources (including offroadx). Notice, no price is mentioned - the goal is to get them to come up with the best deal. The secret is to let them know you are shopping, and then follow through! You can find all the Nissan dealers near you at Nissan's web site. Don't be afraid to go a ways from you - I used a dealer 35 miles away in a different state eventually - was well worth it!

Quote:
Attention Nissan Sales Department:

I am ready to purchase a 2002 Xterra. Please skip the sales pitch, I have already decided to purchase an Xterra! Please only respond with a quote, as requested in this fax. I'm ready to buy the vehicle NOW, if the price is right. If you are interested in my business, please provide me a quote with your best out the door price. Please seperate out the base cost of the vehicle from any taxes, fees, etc. I am going to want to see a line item accounting for any and all charges before before I agree to anything, so lets save each other time and just provide it up front. I know that Nissan is offering a $750 Factory to dealer incintive - please account for it in your quote.

I am soliciting quotes from most every Nissan dealer in the Washington DC and surrounding area and a few online buying services beginning this week. I am looking for an SE 4x4 Supercharged V6 5 speed. I would also like the towing packages and sunroof, if available.

My preferred color is Shock Blue. Solar Yellow or Sedona would be my second color choice. A model without the supercharger would be considerd if the price was right. I don't want anything on the Xterra that it didn't have on it when it came off the transporter. No pinstripes, no rustproofing, no dealer badges, etc. Please inform me up front of any dealer-applied/installed items.

If you have a suitable vehicle in your inventory, in transport, on allocation, or from another dealer, please reply with your quote on an out-the-door price, including freight, tags, title, taxes, and any dealer fees (which may be negotiated). Also provide the VIN number of the vehicle, odometer reading and how soon it will be available for delivery, along with what it will take to lock it in (deposit, etc.)

This quote should be made without consideration of trade-in or financing, those will be discussed once a suitable vehicle has been locked in.

The best way to contact me is via email or fax. My email address is XXXX and my fax is XXXX.

Thanks,

#93233 - 18/09/03 08:20 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sweet. Thanks for all of the follow ups. Its amazing how many times I am having to call a dealer/salesman to tell them "I want to buy a car from you!". They really wanna see you face to face I guess. I'm going to use the fax approach along with help from carbuyingtips.com. I'll let you know how things work out. [Too much XOC]

#93234 - 19/09/03 08:24 AM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I did the same thing when we bought my wife's 99 AE10 Miata. I called dealers in the area and made them work for my business. I ended up getting $6000 off sticker. It helps if it is end of the month or in my case the snow was going to start flying!

I grew up in Orlando, you may want also to try outside of town. Where dealers overhead is lower. Norman Brothers Nissan on (436 just south of HWY 50) was a decent dealer there, but someone bought them out.
Best of luck to you, Dan

#93235 - 19/09/03 01:10 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
DocNo Offline

Just be sure to fax lots of them! I faxed over 30, and was getting ready to think that I would have to wait until next month when the one that responded was one of the last ones I faxed (I started with the dealers closest to me since Nissan's web site provides the list of dealers sorted by distance from your home zip code).

If you don't get quality responses, keep faxing!

Timing is key, you will have way better luck towards the end of the month - it's too early now. Later part of next week would be much better.

And never shop off of MSRP - invoice pricing should be your starting point, followed by the results of how you fill out the spreadsheet from carbuyingtips.com

You'll do fine, all car dealers sales are down and there WILL be at least one hungry dealer out there. Don't step foot in a dealership, or even call them until you have a deal worked out and are going to "lock it in" with a deposit...

#93236 - 19/09/03 01:13 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeschill:
Its amazing how many times I am having to call a dealer/salesman to tell them "I want to buy a car from you!". They really wanna see you face to face I guess.
Yes, because if they can get you in the door they have a much better chance of pressuring you into a deal that is good for them and bad for you. Don't let them do it! Use the fax method, address it to the fleet manager. When they call and pressure you to come in or take a test drive tell them you will only come in to pick up the vehicle after you have negotiated the price.

Your the smart shopper, and they need you more than you need them!

#93237 - 19/09/03 01:56 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

mad Well, there's about 4 dealers and one has missed the boat already. To top it off, I purchased my first X from them in 2001. They said: "We don't do business that way". I said: "Good luck on business and Good bye" [Finger] . The second and third are in the process of responding....we'll see what happens.

#93238 - 19/09/03 01:58 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeschill:
mad Well, there's about 4 dealers and one has missed the boat already.
It's too early in the month...

And you have other cities less than two hours away from you, I have visited Orlando smile Don't be afraid to shop (and I mean shop!) around!

#93239 - 22/09/03 10:25 AM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quick update...after taking your advice and blasting them out to West Palm Beach and Tampa, I have about 4 dealers in the hunt. I am at 850 or so under invoice :p as of right now.
XE-V6, 4x4, Power package, mats, electronic mirror, cabin filter, splash gaurds, side molding.
Comes up to:
24337 on carsdirect.com
24308 is what he offered.
I countered the 485 for factory holdback and he accepted. Out the door we are at 23954 (includes tax, tag, etc.
The other dealers/salesman are not even close. I have to insert what one salesman emailed me back:

I am not sure how you are calculating your numbers , but they certainly don't add up. If you take the INVOICE of $24,186 and add 5% profit to it- you are looking at $25395.00. I am offering to sell you the vehicle for $24,786 which is $609 less than the 5% over invoice! If I sell you the Xterra for $23954.42, I will be at a LOSS of - $231.58. Nothing for nothing, I don't know many businesses that sell to LOSE money, they certainly wouldn't be around long. Just as I am sure if you OWN your business or work for someone, you aren't working for FREE or to LOSE money either. I am sure you understand that. I appreciate the opportunity to earn your business but I don't see based on your numbers how I can.

Needless to say a blasted her on what I learned from Carbuyingtips.com (Thanks DocNo [Wave] )and told her that the other dealer has accepted the 23,900 price already. I can't wait for her reply.It looks like I still have about 300-500 to negotiate....or maybe some free goodies. cool

#93240 - 22/09/03 10:29 AM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgot to add my email back to her:

Thanks for getting back to me. Julie, I do understand profit on dealerships. I also understand what a factory holdback fee is (Many people don't know holdback exists, including many car salesman, as this goes directly to the dealer, and it effectively reduces the dealer's cost of the car.)
Theres also a floorplan fee that I am aware of.
All of these fees are included in the invoice that dealers are quick to show. The invoice what you show is not what your dealer paid for the car. Everyone is quick to say "I'll give you $1 dollar over invoice". Do you really think that a dealer can make a $1 profit and survive? Thats alot of cars to sell!
The 5% profit is calculated in another spreadsheet and is not 5% profit over the invoice, its an estimate over the invoice minus the above fees mentioned..
Lastly, the dealer to factory rebate is not $1,500. This is the dealer to consumer rebate. I am willing to wager the factory to dealer rebate lies in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2000, giving the dealer more profit than mentioned to Bill.

Quote:
If I sell you the Xterra for $23954.42, I will be at a LOSS of - $231.58. Nothing for nothing, I don't know many businesses that sell to LOSE money, they certainly wouldn't be around long. Just as I am sure if you OWN your business or work for someone, you aren't working for FREE or to LOSE money either. I am sure you understand that.

I urge you to send this over to your fleet manager and renogiate. Bill called at 12pm. He said the 23,900 thats on the spreadsheet is good to go. This leads me to believe there is a lot of room left to negotiate.
Thanks for your input and I look forward to hearing from you.

[Laughing]

#93241 - 22/09/03 06:09 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
DocNo Offline

You learned quickly - congratulations smile

Feels good to save money, eh?

And you are darn right there is a lot of room to negotiate, because as you no doubt read on Carbuyingtips.com, dealer invoice is very rarely the dealers true cost for the vehicle.

When it was all said and done, I paid around $23.5 for my X, well under factory invoice - it was a combination of factory rebates and the dealer I faxed with really, really really wanting to make a sale. They confirmed with me three times that I would be in the very next day, the last day of the month smile , to pick up the X. No doubt they were one or two cars away from getting a large plateu sales bonus of some sort. I'm almost positive, because they had to obtain my X from another dealer, and that usually costs them ~$300-500 unless they were owed a vehicle from the other dealer already (all kinds of crazy horse trading goes on behind the scenes - some of the stories I have had friends who work at dealerships tell....)

Good luck, it sounds like you are well in the hunt and if you already confirmed the deal, congratulations! [Wave]

#93242 - 25/09/03 10:35 AM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I paid $27K, but I got the supercharger and leather and a bunch or other options. Sound like you got a great deal.

#93243 - 25/09/03 02:37 PM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes! At least I think I did smile I'm upgrading my 2001 X to a new 2003 4x4. I'm out the door at 23,954. To top it off, I had a dealer yell at me for 5 minutes saying, "Thats not a 4x4, there's no way!" "If you get that I'll change your oil for a year for free!"
So, I said "ok", let me fax you the buyers order. I did, he called back and in not so many words said "Unbelievable". All by following DocNo's info above. I'll never buy a car/truck the old fashioned way again. :p

ps. to that Granite, 2003 4x4 sitting it Tampa, I'm coming for you baby!!!

#93244 - 26/09/03 11:43 AM Re: New Xterra Pricing
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Just copy it and paste it in a word or notepad file!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal