shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93431 - 23/05/04 07:30 PM Blower Motor
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
A few observations about my last visit to the dealership on my X at 34.5k miles:

1) My blower motor made this ticking noise on low speed. Dealer agreed it was a problem and ordered a blower motor under warranty. laugh

2) Told me my front pads were down to 15% and needed replacement (Funny, I just replaced the pads, turned rotors, repacked bearings, and new grease seals at 34k - they looked surprised when I told them this [Finger] )

3) Told me engine coolant was scheduled at 30k for flush and refill (funny, manual says 60k - 30k for Qwest only).

4) Said my power steering fluid was dark and should be changed - though 6 months ago I put synthetic in - now, giving them the benefit of the doubt, it did look dark but no darker than when new.

#93432 - 23/05/04 08:12 PM Re: Blower Motor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did they pull the blower motor out and see if there were any leaves, scorpions ( laugh ) or other debris stuck in the cage? Hmm...

Funny about the brakes. Sounds like your tech has a checklist that he usually reccomends, or had two vehicles in (turned in the wrong estimater?).

I have been guilty of the synthetic fluid before, but for the brakes, not the power steering fluid. Valvoline synthetic brake fluid looked black when looking through the brake fluid res. Felt like a schmuck!

We drain and refill the coolant on our 30K service. But, just the radiator, not the block and heater core. It's a dealership thing, you know? But, typically, with putting 15K miles (average) on a vehicle, changing your coolant every two years seems like a long time, especially when you consider your climate (Tucson?).

I change my coolant (block drain, the works) every year. Cheap insurance.

Not necessarily defending them. Don't get me wrong. But everything (excepting the brake FUBAR) seems fairly normal. The blower motor thing will be taken care of under warranty anyway.

#93433 - 23/05/04 10:45 PM Re: Blower Motor
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
On the coolant issue, I used to change it every year in previous vehicles I have owned using the Prestone stuff. I thought this new anti-freeze was longer life though. I used to do the coolant myself but I prefer to have it done now 'cause I have no good way to get rid of it. Autozone said they wouldn't take it. I think it's a good idea to go once a year though. I just felt like he shouldn't make a blanket statement about 30k.

I kind of went on the defensive because the brakes were the first thing they brought up. Everybody can make mistakes so maybe they really did make a mistake. I would hope that was the case!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal