2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94537 - 01/07/02 02:18 AM Wyoming Trails...
MaloCS Offline

Does anyone know of some 4wd trails in Wyoming? Around Medicine Bow, the Tetons or Yellowstone?

Thanks!

#94538 - 02/07/02 01:18 PM Re: Wyoming Trails...
WyoDuner Offline

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Malo, I think that if you are near Colorado you will find more there than Wyoming. Colorado seems quite a bit more organized when it comes to OHV activities.

#94539 - 18/07/02 09:16 AM Re: Wyoming Trails...
nimbus 2001 Offline

Loc: Lee's Summit, MO 64086
There are quite a few trails near the town of Moose and Jenny Lake at the base of the Tetons. I picked up a trail book at a gas station in Jackson Hole a few years ago that was fairly detailed and gave great trail descriptions.

#94540 - 18/07/02 11:48 AM Re: Wyoming Trails...
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
When are you going to be out there? I'll be in WY & MT Aug 9-14, and am looking to do some mild trails. I no longer have an Xterra (traded it for a Cummins Diesel Ram), but still want to do some offroading. The only trails I had found thus far in the area were some forest roads along the Beartooth Highway which follows along the border between WY & MT.

#94541 - 21/08/02 07:19 AM Re: Wyoming Trails...
Chris Mc Offline

Back from Wyoming. I found more offroading than I ever wanted. I turned off the Beartooth Highway onto FR 120. It quickly turned not so friendly. The Ram crawled over the rocks with no hesitation whatsoever (low gears, 505 lb-ft of torque at about 1800 rpm). After about 5 hours, I got to the descent into the Clark's Fork-Yellowstone River canyon (FR 119 aka Morrison Jeep Road). This thing made Black Bear Pass look like child's play. 2 miles of switchbacks, over 1500 feet elevation drop. It might have more switchbacks than Black Bear, and they are WAY tighter, and steeper, and narrower. It didn't matter how many points I made on a turn, it was not possible to turn around the switchbacks after I had made it down two of them. Unfortunately, I did not see the rest until after I was down two of them (and could not make it back up). The only way was down. I had to go straight down one, then back down the next, then straight down, etc... all the way down. A few hours later, I made it to the bottom. It was so steep that I dumped 3 quarts (out of 10) of oil from the crankcase breather. Other damage included bent driveshaft (not fatally, still driveable under 70), smashed exhaust system, and body damage (not minor, but not destroyed). It sucks, but my only other options were have a transport heli lift me out, or drive the truck off a cliff and have insurance pick it up. There was one truck in the canyon that had slipped off the cliff doing that road about 5 years ago. It was destroyed, and he did't live to tell about it (or so the locals tell me). The locals say that they hadn't seen a 4x4 do that road in several years, only ATV's and mountain bikes, and most were scared to do that. I wish I had that knowledge to start with smile I arrived at the bottom of the canyon just at sunset. It was an AWESOME campsite, right on the banks of the Clark's Fork, in this amazing canyon with insanely tall walls. You could hear the trout jumping out of the water. The next day, it was still a 2 hour drive up the canyon to the paved road, but very scenic along the river and class IV whitewater the whole time, but very bone-rattling, as it was over 5-10 inch rocks the whole way. Here's the best image I could find (you can also see the topo from here): TerraServer

#94542 - 22/08/02 06:26 AM Re: Wyoming Trails...
Chris Mc Offline

Oh yeah, there were tons of roads up there still open. Pulled them out of my Delorme Wyoming Atlas & Gazeteer book. Many of them spent most of their miles above 10,000 feet. Spectacular views, and tons of wildlife. I'll post pics in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, I didn't get many of the Morrison Jeep Road, as I was a bit distracted.

#94543 - 22/08/02 12:33 PM Re: Wyoming Trails...
Philosopher Offline

Any more info. you guys could pass on to me would be great as I am going out to Yellowstone/Tetons in October and I'd love to hit some scenic trails where I could see some wildlife.

Thanks!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal