2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94587 - 13/02/01 11:40 PM Steamboat CO.
Kafka213 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Are there any good trails near Steamboat CO? I am going there in a few weeks and was wondering. Of course, I am sure that the snow hinders quite a lot of the trail's operations, but I was only wondering.

Thanks.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#94588 - 14/02/01 06:38 AM Re: Steamboat CO.
Mike Holmes Offline

Loc: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
There has to be, the placed seemed to be snowmobiler heaven when I went snowboarding there for New Year's Eve. I know that doesn't help much. Try 4x4trails.net.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mike H (edited 02-14-2001).]

#94589 - 14/02/01 03:27 PM Re: Steamboat CO.
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Kafka,

Check Xterra Journal for some fun trails near Steamboat. Look at the Hahns Peak and Farwell Mtn pictures.

The only downside is that they are closed until May or June, since they should have a good 15 feet of snow on them.
http://www.xterrain.com

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#94590 - 14/02/01 04:11 PM Re: Steamboat CO.
Kafka213 Offline

Fifteen feet shouldn't be a problem for the X, right??

Thanks for the tips. BTW I have one of your Crested Butte pics for my wallpaper. I am jealous of you for living in CO and getting to Xperience all of those places.

One question: was the Taylor Lake you mentioned also called Taylor Resevoir. I went to a camp in Taylor Park and fell in love with the region. The collegiate peaks and all. Stopped by Buena Vista and had a great time. I even got a K's Ice Cream t-shirt.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#94591 - 14/02/01 10:22 PM Re: Steamboat CO.
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Kafka213:
One question: was the Taylor Lake you mentioned also called Taylor Resevoir.

Taylor Res is down in the valley, the lake is up top at the summit of Taylor Pass.

I highly recommend coming to GOX early, as we'll be driving through there on the way to Ouray.

Did you ever meet a Trey Lokey (he's driving the white CJ7)? His folks sent him to camp there every year for about a decade.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#94592 - 14/02/01 10:29 PM Re: Steamboat CO.
Kafka213 Offline

No I didn't. I don't think. But I may have. Granted that I am only nineteen years old and went to that camp like three years and two years ago. Beautiful place. when you say get to the GOX early, how early. I have all the time in the world in the summers so it doesn't really matter, but how early. Hell, I could camp out for three or four days waiting if need be. Plus I am trying to coordinate a cross country trip (Maine to FL to MO to WA and then to CO for the GOX) I am looking forward to this summer.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#94593 - 15/02/01 10:26 AM Re: Steamboat CO.
XOC Offline
Admin

Only 2 days early.
Information about the pre-GOX thing is on the GOX page.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#94594 - 15/02/01 11:24 AM Re: Steamboat CO.
Kafka213 Offline

I see, thanks.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#94595 - 09/03/01 07:57 PM Re: Steamboat CO.
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Kafka, When are you getting your X? A trip of that distance will definatly take you some time especially if you are planning to stop and smell the pine along the way.

My son and I are planning the trek to GOX again. No pine in KS or western CO but the speed slows once we hit Denver. We would like to White water raft again on the way home but the water will probably be a bit to low for much fun. If you want to caravan out with us you are more than welcome.

------------------
Fletch
"We Know Who You Are... Bronze"

#94596 - 09/03/01 09:33 PM Re: Steamboat CO.
Kafka213 Offline

It is about sixteen hours from MO. And I got my X yesterday. I am actually going to CO twice this year, once two weeks from now to Steamboat, a straight trip there and back for skiing, and two I am going to GOX. That trip will either be made in an Xvoy with the HXOC or I will go it alone and head north to Washington State first then loop around and come up under CO to Ouray. Either way, I love driving and couldn't think of a better way to kill two weeks in the summer. I haven't actually seen my Xterra yet. It is in Springfield, MO and I am in Chicago. My dad and I split the cost and he bought down there. I haven't even ridden in an X yet, but I am sure that I will love it. I can't wait to see it, drive it, everything.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago and MO.
2001 Silver Ice SE

#94597 - 17/03/01 06:37 AM Re: Steamboat CO.
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
If you're still looking for trails in Steamboat, try going to Strawberry Park hot springs. Its abut 6 miles out of Steamboat up a steep windy dirt road, which will be snowpacked. We went in November and the road was open, but it may be closed with more snow, Im not sure. The springs is worth the visit even if you have to get the 'bus'.

Also there is a road which is a right turn off the strawberry park road, its got a name *** pass - I've forgotten what name. It turns into a dirt road and after a few miles it ceases to be plowed. You get lots of snowmobiles at the top.

Neither are 4wheel trails, but both are fun in the snow, just watch out for people in cars stopping and getting stuck on the steep section.

------------------

#94598 - 17/03/01 08:27 AM Re: Steamboat CO.
CMorHiker Offline

Loc: Lake Zurich, Illinois
XOC: Thanks for the info on Taylor Reservoir/ Taylor Lake. I'll be doing the 4WD trails around there in July prior to a volunteer trail building project I'm doing for the Colorado Trail Foundation. Love your photos!

------------------
2001 SE 4X4
Alpine Green

Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal