shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94625 - 23/08/01 07:06 AM Labrador bound....
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
3 Xterras will be making a monster trek in the next 2 weeks. Whiel a bunch of you will be driving the interstates to get to Colorado, in true "field of dreams" style, 6 brave souls will be heading for the barren remote reaches of the East coast.

One Solar Yellow, one Cloud White, and one Silver Ice will be be travelling up into Canada, through Quebec City, on North along the St Lawrence River to Baie Comeau, then North again to Labrador City.

This is the beginning of the Trans Labrador Highway.
This is where we need the Gerry cans. 288 miles of gravel road. Top speed, probably 50. We think we'll take a couple days to do this stretch as there is a massive power plant half way there, and it's supposed to be an amazing tour. Our destination is Happy Valley, Green Bay. a former WWII refueling station for trans atlantic flights, now still ruled by it's airport. Various countries use Labrador as training grounds for their fighter pilots, so it's not rare to see dogfights in the skies over the area. Nor is it rare to see the Aurora Borealis, better know as the Northern Lights. We hope they will be viewable, as this is one of our reasons for the trip (mine at least), and it's prime viewing season.

From Happy Valley we will continue north to the Town of NorthWest, currently, the farthest one can go by land vehicle to the North and East.

At this point we get on a car ferry that will take us to Lewisporte, Newfoundland. It's a short ferry ride, about 36 hours. It's the equivalent of driving from NY to South Carolina. We hope to spot some icebergs and whales among other sea life while on our trip through the North Atlantic (actually the Labrador Sea).

Upon arriving in Newfoundland we will be exploring the Northwest coast, which has some of the most interesting geological formations on the East coast. Western Brook Pond is a fjord lake that is simply breathtaking. There's even a place that looks like Mars.

We will leave Newfoundland and head to Nova Scotia, where we will meet up with some Land Rover folks a day after their Labour Day Rally, and do some wheeling. There's good trails up that way, muddy doesn't begin to describe them. We will drive the Cabot trail, Nova Scotia's answer to the Pacific Coast Highway, and then drive back through Maine, hitting Acadia National Park. Finally we will drive down route 1 all the way home.

Total trip time: 13 days.
Total trip miles: 2500-3500 miles, plus 700 in nautical miles

Photo documenting it? You Betcha!

#94626 - 23/08/01 09:17 AM Re: Labrador bound....
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
The ferry ride is 36 hours???? Wow. How much you figure all this is going to cost you guys?? And are you mostly camping or do you have lodging arranged? Sounds like an awesome trip. Also, maybe it's just me, but I can't see your pics.

#94627 - 23/08/01 09:36 AM Re: Labrador bound....
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
...Also, maybe it's just me, but I can't see your pics.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Olegkha ]

#94628 - 23/08/01 11:27 AM Re: Labrador bound....
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
My inlaws live in a small town called St Paul's near the border of Quebec and Labrador. Say HI for me!

Good luck and have a great trip, I wish I was with you!

Jens

#94629 - 23/08/01 11:54 AM Re: Labrador bound....
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by matt peckham:
288 miles of gravel road.

You don't need Jerry cans, it's 288 km, not miles.

Have fun !

#94630 - 23/08/01 11:58 AM Re: Labrador bound....
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Matt.. you forgot you are heading for Canuckland.. metric.. 288k ( 180 miles ) well within the range of a full tank, but worth bringing the jerry cans, its all about cruising speed.
Have a good one, just remember to say eh after every second word so we can understand you.

#94631 - 23/08/01 12:02 PM Re: Labrador bound....
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I realized that after I posted. yes, it's KMs, but if we go off the beaten path, we may want them.

there's a trail north of Churchill Falls, but we don't know what's up there. might be worth a detour of say 100 miles...

The Mokami trail north of Northwset (not the movie) was attempted in the summer by some Rover guys, but they didn't get very far. Endless bogs. We'll do some hiking and exploring in Cartwright, where they are putting a road in, which will connect HV GB to Red Bay in eastern Quebec. that'll cut the ferry ride down to about 15 hours...

I can handle 15 hrs. Oh, and during that 36 hours, you can't visit your Xterra, as they are tied down in the cargo bay... so we'll be roughing it out on the observation deck.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal