2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94678 - 17/03/02 11:47 AM Grabd Canyon - Tanner Trail - any experience ?
yam_turecki Offline

Loc: Newbury Park, CA
Did anyone of You ahve experience with Tanner Trail at Grand Canyon ?

I have some maps which shows the foot trail next to the 4WD trail in that area (Tanner Canyon).
I have an idea of going (4-wheeling) down to river, I found the post with Peach Springs road too.
I want to check if it is possible before I will plan the trip, if any permissions required, type of the road etc.
If the Tanner will not be possible than I will stay on the North Rim and 4-wheel in that area, not drive to South Rim.

#94679 - 17/03/02 12:01 PM Re: Grabd Canyon - Tanner Trail - any experience ?
yam_turecki Offline

I mean Grand Canyon (typo).

#94680 - 22/03/02 11:34 PM Re: Grabd Canyon - Tanner Trail - any experience ?
XID_dup1 Offline

Loc: Phoenix,AZ
I believe the only road that leads to the river is the one at Peach Springs. You can also drive to a parking lot that's close to the river near Lee's Ferry and walk the few hundred feet to the river. I don't think there are any 4WD trails in Grand Canyon NP that lead to the river. There are several that lead to various viewpoints on the rim. The road at Peach Springs I believe is on the Havasupai Indian Reservation and they charge a $5-10 fee to drive the road, which I think is passable by passanger car.

When are you heading out?

Andy

#94681 - 31/03/02 08:30 PM Re: Grabd Canyon - Tanner Trail - any experience ?
yam_turecki Offline

Andy,
I read Your post about Peach Spring.

The 4WD trail to Tanner Canyon I found in 'Delorme Topo USA' ( see this ). If passable I want to try it.

I am building now a plan for the trip - Moab-Canyonlands-Escalante-Grand Canyon, 14-16 days (+time to get there from Maryland smile ).
If the Tanner Trail will not work I will probably stay on the North Rim of Grand Canyon. The time I will be heading there will be arround 2nd and 3rd week of August. Soon, I will probably setup a web page with my plan so anyone interested can join me for any part of this trip.

#94682 - 01/04/02 09:16 AM Re: Grabd Canyon - Tanner Trail - any experience ?
XID_dup1 Offline

Loc: Phoenix,AZ
I think think the program is in error. If there was ever a trail that was accessible to vehicles, it was way back in the days when the trail was used by miners. Perhaps it's a leftover from some old USGS maps. I found a link about the Tanner trail here . It doesn't mention anything about a 4WD trail crossing the hiking trail. From my experience with the Grand Canyon NP, they really don't allow anything except people and mules/horses below the rim(except the occasional helicopter that goes the Phantom Ranch). Your best bet to get a final answer would be to call the Park itself. I would highly recommend taking at least a day hike, if not an overnight hike into the Canyon. It's been one of the best experiences I've had. There are more incredible views from below the rim than you will ever see from the rim. I'm not talking about just taking an hour walk down Bright Angel trail, but a good half to full day hike. Be prepared in August for hot weather below the rim and also whereever you are at in AZ and UT, be prepared for monsoon rains. I'm not sure what you experience with deserts are, but they can really sap your water quickly. Add that to the elevation and you can run into dehydration quickly if you not carefull.

Keep me posted on your progress and plans, I'd love to see what finally decide to do. Perhaps if the timeframe works out, we can meet up.

If you are planning on coming out in mid-August, have you considered bumping your trip to corespond with GOX 3 in Ouray, CO? There is some great 4 wheeling around Ouray.

Andy

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal