2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94684 - 10/06/02 04:38 PM calgary / banff - what to do? where to go?
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
i'll be in calgary/banff in a couple of wks - 3 day work, 3 days play. so aside the days i've got to work, i'm looking for things to do, such as: sites to see, good places to eat/drink, indoors & out - in both - calgary & banff as i've got lodging in both locations.

i've never been before, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! plus - how's the weather up there?
thanks a bunch!

#94685 - 13/06/02 10:40 PM Re: calgary / banff - what to do? where to go?
hayley Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
One possibility is 'True North Tours' ( http://www.truenorthtours.com/ ) -- 3 day Explorer tour. The van picks you up in either Calgary or Banff and they take you to Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, the icefields (where you can walk on a glacier) up to Jasper, then back. You stay two nights in hostels & meet all kinds of interesting people. Not sure if you're into that type of thing, but I went last year & it was awesome (super-cheap too!) With such a short period of time on your hands, I think that's the best way to see the most beautiful places. If you want more details, you can msg me.

Another possibility, if you're not so outdoorsy is a trip out to the Royal Tyrell Museum - I know a couple of companies do day trips out that way too... pretty amazing geology in that region!

Enjoy your trip!

#94686 - 14/06/02 09:24 AM Re: calgary / banff - what to do? where to go?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Nice! I took a trip to Banff/Lake Louise for a snowboarding trip one Thanksgiving. It is SO beautiful up there, wow!

Check out Lake Louise, certainly - and the very large, very glamorous hotel there. A dinner there will set you back some, but it's pretty good.

There's also a tucked away little restaurant, forgot the name - but it used to be a railroad station or some such thing. Great place, great food.

As for sites, check out the park - that's what most of that area is... Driving around and gawking isn't a bad thing!

Of course, I don't think the mountain will be open, but it's seriously nice when covered in snow. They hold the world cup there every year, coincidentally right over Thanksgiving... smile

#94687 - 14/06/02 09:59 AM Re: calgary / banff - what to do? where to go?
gx_ca Offline

thanks for the suggestions! smile

i'm actually meeting up w/ a few co-workers (varying in age) which is why i'm looking for as much variety as possible. i love the outdoors, but i don't think a couple of 'em are into that (one wants to go to the mall!! -don't get me wrong, i love shopping as much as the next girl, but geez... it's not what i had in mind). another lady suggested hot springs (?) -not too sure 'bout that one. if i want a hot bath, i'll hang out in my own tub w/ bubbles & bath salts.
but i do love to eat good food. so, bp - this little restaurant is in lake louise area???

#94688 - 14/06/02 10:15 AM Re: calgary / banff - what to do? where to go?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by gx_ca:
so, bp - this little restaurant is in lake louise area???
Yep, both are... The large, fancy place is the "Fairmont Chateau" and looks like this...

Try the Lake Louise Website for some addtl. info.

The food at the Chateau is pricey, and generally pretty good, though I felt it could be a little better. The location and scenery there though, is un-freakin-believable! I think the picture above says it all... smile

EDIT: While I was there, most of the skiiers were staying in the Chateau, and the lobby was all decked out for them, etc. On the last day of the Cup, and conincidentally the night we went to the Chateau for eats... I casually snagged one of the mounted pictures of a local skiier chick - just your basic, Sports Illustrated type action shot, carving a turn. Mounted on foamcore, it's pretty sweet. smile

I loved it there - you'll have a GREAT time.

One word: "Beavertails!"

Here's a shot of me at the lodge on the mountain, overlooking the lift area. You can see some of the prepwork for the Cup down to the left. The "Beavertail Lodge" was a quaint little trailside bar where we had MANY pitchers... Heheh.

#94689 - 21/06/02 01:03 PM Re: calgary / banff - what to do? where to go?
JayAce Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB. Canada
I am up in Edmonton and go down to Banff several times a year. Great skiing, great camping, great hiking, great fishing, you name it. Here are some suggestions.
When you go to Lake Louise, make sure you take your time and go along the Bow Valley Parkway. It is the old 1A highway. You can only drive 40km/h but you are guarenteed to see lots of animals. Elk mostly, but I have seen bear, moose and lots of different birds, including a huge bald eagle. Once you are in Lake Louise, make sure to look around the Chateau, they have a great pub in there if you just want some "cheaper" food and a drink. Now, if you have the time, take a drive up the Highway 93 through the Ice Fields Parkway. The Glaciers are beautiful this time of year, and when the sun is shining, they have edges that sparkle like blue diamonds, The lakes along that road are so clear and beautiful.
So, your friend wants to shop, well, lots of choices there. In Banff itself, it is very much a tourist town. Be prepared to pay for the atmoshphere. They have a lot of great "junk - sorry souvenier shops" on Banff ave. They also have some great outdoor supply shops and some really nice art gallaries and cool clothing stores. Spend some time walking up and down the street. Won't take long, easily done in an afternoon. Be sure to check out the classic toy shop (one of my favorite places, I bought the curious George in a Radio Flyer, just for nostalgia.) From Banff itself, there are so many great places to go. When you are travelling along the Bow Valley Parkway, stop at Johnson Canyon and go for a walk (really easy hike, as you mentioned some of your group might not really be in to extreme sight seeing)
In Banff itself there are many bars. It really depends on what type of night life you are looking for. A pint at the Rose and Crown is required, but after that, just go. You will find most of the locals at the restaurants and pubs will point you to the type of night life you are looking for, from relaxed, coutry, dance and "what the hell was that..."
Once again, some other places to check out if you want the pub atmosphere and a good meal is "St.James Gate" half a block off Banff ave. If you want to spend a lot of money on a great "and I mean great" meal, go up the hill and have dinner at either the Rim Rock or the Banff Springs. Also, they have trail rides from just outside the Banff Springs Hotel, and usually, the field beside the hotel has Elk walking all over it. If you golf, well, I won't even start on that.
One last think (as if I was not long winded enough) would be to go to the falls down besides the Banff Springs Hotel (lower road) From there, you can check out the falls. Also, there is an old "gasthaus" type restaurant behind the Banff Springs Hotel. They have a nice big balconey to sit on and watch the golfers try to miss the elk crossing the fairway.

Sorry for the long post....can you tell I am going camping down there in a few weeks...I can't wait.
J

#94690 - 21/06/02 03:32 PM Re: calgary / banff - what to do? where to go?
gx_ca Offline

you guys are the best!!

thanks again for all the suggestions. my flight leave early tomorrow a.m.! i'm so looking forward to going. (although i just overheard my boss - i'm on the same flight as he! ~he likes to make me work - anyone think i can fit in an overhead bin to hide?!)

yeah -the banff springs hotel ... i'm staying there (for free!) well, that's where the conference is - so, it's no doubt i'll be quite aquainted w/ the entire place.

my co-worker scored us a couple of other free nights (in calgary & banff) -so i can spend freely on food & 'soveneirs.' smile yippee!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal