2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94711 - 16/03/01 09:05 AM Livingston, KY
shiraz Offline

Loc: Georgetown/Lexington, KY, USA
The Toyota Offroad Club is planning a trip to Livingston, KY on April 14. Has anyone here at the XOC ever been to Livingston? I am planning on attending. I have heard that it can be very rough. Most of the people that I know who go there take trailbikes, quads, or likewise. A great many others do take their Jeeps and FJ40s, I'm told. But I have been given warnings: 'Don't take your XTerra there!'. Any info will be appreciated. Cheers, Noel

------------------

#94712 - 16/03/01 10:48 AM Re: Livingston, KY
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
I've got no info about the place, but I have been told numerous times not to take my Xterra to a certain place. Most non Xterra owners have no idea that people 4wheel with Xterras.

Don't listen to them, go and show them up!

------------------
Michael Girardo
Member - MAXC | Moderator - XOC
www.avaloninternet.net/users/bythebay/xterra <---Redesigned

#94713 - 16/03/01 11:03 AM Re: Livingston, KY
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Geez, I don't even know where Livingston is... I'll check around with a couple of my friends and see if they've heard anything about it. Keep us posted about the trip - I might also be interested if I'm not up in Chicago that weekend. (I don't mean to just invite myself along - let me know if that might be a problem.)

------------------
Mindie
2001 Silver Ice
4x4 Automatic SE

#94714 - 16/03/01 11:14 AM Re: Livingston, KY
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Because I was so curious, here are a couple of links that I found with pictures from Livingston:
http://www.chad-adams.com/livingston.htm
http://www.izook.com/trails/liv99/livingston99.htm

Looks pretty interesting!

------------------
Mindie
2001 Silver Ice
4x4 Automatic SE

#94715 - 16/03/01 01:02 PM Re: Livingston, KY
wilburburns Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky
Although I have never been there, I have been told by many of my ATV owning friends that most of the main trails are passable by stock vehicles. However, some side trails are very difficult. Go and try it, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Remember to TREAD Lightly though. A friend told me that on his last trip (last weekend) signs were posted about the trails possibly closing due to trash and just total disrespect for the land. Just be sure to pack out more trash than you bring in.

Wilburburns

------------------
wilburburns
NOR Admin

#94716 - 16/03/01 10:36 PM Re: Livingston, KY
shiraz Offline

Loc: Georgetown/Lexington, KY, USA
I learned a bit more about the place this afternoon. It seems there are thousands of acres of trails! It is a place that you can make as difficult or as low-impact as you want. One of my co-workers is driving his (sweet) FJ-40 with the ARB lockers and winch (and GPS) while yet another is coming in a nearly stock Wrangler. I should be okay, though I will remove the steprails, just in case. Hey Mindie, feel free to come along. I'll have times, meeting place(s) and directions soon. Take care. Cheers, Noel

------------------

#94717 - 18/03/01 06:07 PM Re: Livingston, KY
wilburburns Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky
That is the same thing I have heard. It can be as difficult as you want it to be. Also, I have been told to not go there alone. It is very easy to get lost.

Myself and another stock Xterra were searching for some trails the other day and ask a local where some trails were. One friendly guy promptly told me where to go, but then mentioned many highly modified jeeps, etc that use the trail. After the comment about the jeeps, he looked at my Frontier and the Xterra behind me and said I wouldn't take a nice truck out there, but if you do, you may have to be pulled out. Of course, I said well that's half the funand thanked him for his time. We then headed for the trail. We didn't get to go very far, because it was getting dark, and it was quite challenging at times, but neither one of had to be pulled out. I guess what I am saying is that often times people think that because you don't have a jeep, then you can't wheel. This is not true. Yes there are trails that we cannot make it through, but there are just as many or more that we can travel.

Pick your lines carefully, and follow other trucks, not jeeps. Nissans are limited mostly be wheel travel and articulation. :-(

Most importantly, have fun :-)

------------------
wilburburns
NOR Admin

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal