2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94775 - 20/11/01 01:17 PM Trails in Northern Virginia?
BuckeyeX Offline

Loc: Dublin, OH
Does anyone know of any trials within an hour or so of DC? I could be heading out that way for an extended business trip and want something to do!

#94776 - 20/11/01 01:33 PM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Peter's Mill and Taskers Gap in the George Washington National Forest is about an hour or so away. Easist way is I-66 west out of DC to I-81 South. Take I-81 south about 15 miles or so to the Edinburgh exit. See the link below.
http://www.nvtr.org/taskers.html

#94777 - 20/11/01 03:10 PM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Nothing within an hour, more like 2 hours or more to real trails. If you do go to Peters Mill, definitely take the scenic route described at the bottom of the page link above. Nice drive, and might actually be quicker.

However, there is an area between DC and Baltimore that I think you would enjoy.
Pictures of the area

Shoot me an email and we'll see if we can't give you a tour.

Brent

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: OffroadX ]

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#94778 - 21/11/01 07:43 AM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
BuckeyeX Offline

Loc: Dublin, OH
Looks like I better pull the rails off before going out to play with you guys! I'll get in touch if I'm heading out that way. Thanks.

#94779 - 22/11/01 05:35 AM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
psu89 Offline

Loc: Hagerstown, MD, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BuckeyeX:
Does anyone know of any trials within an hour or so of DC? I could be heading out that way for an extended business trip and want something to do!

Check out: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/orv.html

#94780 - 26/11/01 05:45 AM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Nothing within an hour, more like 2 hours or more to real trails. Pictures of the area

Nah. Was there again this past Friday, defintely a tad over an hour from Northern VA. Following I-66 to I-81 is defintely the easiest way to get there for someone who is not familiar with the area. The other way is "scenic" but also very easy for someone to get lost.

The trail was in great shape Saturday. A guy in a Subaru Outback wagon tried to get through and beat the crap out of his vehicle. Left parts all over the trial. He had just called the ranger station when we passed him. Said he was ok, so we pressed on. Lots more rocks than I remember last time out. Definitely a perfect day to be out wheeling, and huntin g too. There a ton of hunters out that day.

#94781 - 05/12/01 09:20 AM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
SalamanderX Offline

Loc: NYC
West Virginia - I'll be there during Xmas - anything in Pendleton or Pocahontas Counties? - I'll be in Franklin and Snowshoe area.

Thanks,
Scott

Afraid of the dark? Don't call us.
-- www.metgrotto.com --

#94782 - 05/12/01 09:42 AM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

If we're talking about the same Franklin (Rt 33) then you can take it east towards VA. Lots of trails on the WV/VA line back in there. Take a look at a Delorme atlas for specifics.

#94783 - 08/12/01 04:57 PM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
Strider Offline

Loc: Huntington, WV, USA
One word of caution if you go offroad in the Snowshoe area. Make sure you are NOT in the Monongahela National Forest. OHV's are not allowed except on designated fire roads during hunting season and in my experience this is strictly enforced. There are forest service roads that are open to public access,
but they are not what I would consider 4x4 trails. If you are looking for a nice drive near Snowshoe, drive up Strip Mine road. It's about a mile south of the Elk River Touring Center on Rt 219 (its on the right as you head toward Marlinton, look for a concrete bridge) in Slatyfork. It's a fair gravel road that takes you to the top of Gauley Mountain for a great view. smile

#94784 - 18/12/01 10:06 PM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
SalamanderX Offline

Loc: NYC
Thanks for the info - that's what I like about this board.

I'll be in Green Bank for a few days, so I'll try to hit that Strip Mine Rd.

Then I head to Hillsboro or Blacksburg VA. All caving mostly, but I'd like to diversify if you know what I mean.

Scott

Afraid of the dark? Don't call us.
-- www.metgrotto.com --

#94785 - 19/12/01 06:16 AM Re: Trails in Northern Virginia?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

If you hit Strip Mine Rd, just keep in mind where you are and remember where you're going. I haven't been there in a while, but you can drive forever out there and get lost if you have no sense of direction. Chances are though that you'll see a few others on the trail in case you get turned around. Have fun!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal