2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95348 - 18/12/03 04:11 PM Outdated Drivetrain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A buddy of mine says that the 4 wheel drive system on my Xterra is outdated by 20 yrs because I have to backup to unlock my hubs. Any come back explanations?

#95349 - 18/12/03 04:27 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Dated, but not outdated. This is the same tried and true simple setup that has been used for many years on all kinds of 4x4's.
You can switch to manual hubs, but this means getting out to lock and unkock them.
There are other systems out there but most are more complicated, and thus far more things to go wrong.
If you want a auto or push button 4x4, Xterra is not it.

4X4 101

#95350 - 18/12/03 04:51 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Have him show you one vehicle where you don't have to backup, or manually unlock the hubs.

He will point to various full time 4WD systems, or vaccuum actuated systems that still keep the front drive axles turning, decreasing mileage and increasing wear.

#95351 - 18/12/03 06:41 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Have him show you one vehicle where you don't have to backup, or manually unlock the hubs.

He will point to various full time 4WD systems, or vaccuum actuated systems that still keep the front drive axles turning, decreasing mileage and increasing wear.
Plus, a lot of those full time systems are actually all wheel drive and not 4wd. The front drive is only actuated when there is a loss of traction (much like a limited slip differential).

#95352 - 18/12/03 08:28 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
Originally posted by lincolnnellie:
Quote:
[b]Have him show you one vehicle where you don't have to backup, or manually unlock the hubs.

Plus, a lot of those full time systems are actually all wheel drive and not 4wd. The front drive is only actuated when there is a loss of traction (much like a limited slip differential).[/b]
or in the honda crv's case, the rear drive is actuated when there's a loss of traction in the front. alot of suvs are coming out as front-wheel-drives today. guess it's the result of building them on cars.

#95353 - 18/12/03 09:22 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is time to stop calling the X a SUV

Sport Utility Van.

It is a Sport Utility Truck.

#95354 - 18/12/03 09:24 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
You call it a van? [Huh?]

#95355 - 19/12/03 12:34 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MHC:

Sport Utility Van.

Repeat after me. Vee-hu-kul. Very good. laugh

#95356 - 19/12/03 07:59 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Only vehicle that I would rather wheel in other than my X is a Jeep Wrangler....which is based on technology equally as archaic. Spend any time following the art of extreme terrain transportation and you will see that the simple things are usually the strongest. The complex, slick compromises will be on the wrong end of a recovery strap.

#95357 - 19/12/03 08:45 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
Quote:
Originally posted by lincolnnellie:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Have him show you one vehicle where you don't have to backup, or manually unlock the hubs.

Plus, a lot of those full time systems are actually all wheel drive and not 4wd. The front drive is only actuated when there is a loss of traction (much like a limited slip differential).[/b]
or in the honda crv's case, the rear drive is actuated when there's a loss of traction in the front. alot of suvs are coming out as front-wheel-drives today. guess it's the result of building them on cars.[/b]
The old Nissan Stanza 4 wheel drive wagon is like that also. I thought that was kinda interesting.

#95358 - 21/12/03 11:26 AM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
A 20 year old design accounted for alot of our decision to buy one. Tried and true... through and through. Engine is technicly behind the times, but reliable and really does have enough power( I still want more). Drum brakes? I can't remember the last time I saw those, but they work. 4wd, I don't know of a better system out there than the standard hub type, I do know that some manufacturers/dealers stopped telling people you had to back up to dis-engage, it really doesn't hurt anything under normal circumstances and they know you'll back up soon enough... Alot of personal choice, but for me (a professional automotive technician, who specializes in working on the diagnoses and repair of the technical systems in cars known for excessive technical "acheivments") the rugged reliability of the X was something to be admired. Just my two cents...
MV

#95359 - 21/12/03 10:53 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
So called "outdated" = reliable.

So called "cutting edge" = breakdown.

Sure, the new Range Rover has a whole pile of fancy crap (solid axle like articulation from full independents, 4L to 4H on-the-fly), but it won't last.

Ten years later you'll be looking like an idiot driving down the freeway with both axles stuck at max articulation because of a burned out sensor.

#95360 - 16/01/04 07:50 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I agree with your friend that it is outdated. Selectable lockers and lower crawl rates in the TC have been out for ages... [Laughing]

#95361 - 17/01/04 12:36 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Ten years later you'll be looking like an idiot driving down the freeway with both axles stuck at max articulation because of a burned out sensor.
I bet it will be more like those older Lincoln Towncars with the airbag suspension with their noses pointed towards the pavement and riding on the bumpstops because the systems are too expensive for the people to fix.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#95362 - 17/01/04 05:29 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Deer hunter Offline

Loc: Chicagoland
Quote:

Sport Utility Van.

SUV stands for
Sport Utility Vehicle
Come on Brent help me here !
just joking
Chris

#95363 - 17/01/04 06:20 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Editor X:
Quote:
[b]It is time to stop calling the X a SUV

Sport Utility Van.

Repeat after me. Vee-hu-kul. Very good. laugh [/b]
You're a little late there Deer Hunter.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#95364 - 18/01/04 06:36 AM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtracurricular:
I agree with your friend that it is outdated. Selectable lockers and lower crawl rates in the TC have been out for ages... [Laughing]
But the basic design is completely identical!...Install air lockers front and rear and swap in a lower gear set....Still tons less expensive than a Disco, even if you pay the pros and never turn a wrench yourself! The layout and mechanicals are what is being questioned...not the gear ratios and type of differential.

#95365 - 18/01/04 07:40 AM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
I don't think anyone has made the point that the X has a transfer case for low speed 4x4 driving. Many of these new systems do not have this "basic" bit of off road gear.

dave and xtoy - how do new-tech sensors work caked in mud?

#95366 - 18/01/04 09:29 AM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Deer hunter:
Come on Brent help me here !
I'd rather chide Xtracurricular for reviving a month-dead thread with nothing useful to add...

laugh

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#95367 - 18/01/04 12:50 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
i'd much rather have an "old-school" part-time 4wd system then the "new" AWD some suvs are getting nowadays. or worse yet, the chassis of a civic or some other coupe.
and who cares about a comeback against your friend. it didn't even sound like he meant anything personally, just pointing out something that actually is true.

#95368 - 19/01/04 06:15 PM Re: Outdated Drivetrain?
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Quote:
But the basic design is completely identical!...Install air lockers front and rear and swap in a lower gear set....Still tons less expensive than a Disco, even if you pay the pros and never turn a wrench yourself! The layout and mechanicals are what is being questioned...not the gear ratios and type of differential.
Say it with me...sarcasm. laugh

Quote:
I'd rather chide Xtracurricular for reviving a month-dead thread with nothing useful to add...
I guess I had a lot of time on my hands Sunday cause I think I posted on anything that moved. Bottom line is this, the system is great for what it is intended for. (discounting the IFS) There are only two more sophisticated systems worth a shit for actual off roading in my book.

#1 is from the Mercedes G wagon. Lockers front, rear, and center. Yes center, so you can go 4wd on mixed ice, snow and clear pavement without worrying about binding up your drive terrain. Who can afford $95k to $100k?

#2 is out of the Rubicon. Lockers front and rear with a 4 to 1 low range. Good luck trying to fit anything in the damn thing. Notice the plethora of aftermarket exterior racks?

I think you can see where I am going with this...

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal