2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95717 - 17/07/01 02:48 PM honest 4x4 evaluation
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
this is a bit similar to 'beginner 4x4' and 'wtf! (mod'd explorer thread in alr)' but thought it appropriate for 4x4 guys:

history:

i do not go 'off-roading' per se. i don't go to off-roading parks or 4-wheeling with clubs,etc. i think its cool, i tried it, but just not interested in it. most of my off-road experience is to get thru to destinations for various other activities (which, i know you guys do too).
the xterra is my first truck, so i've been learning about things i had no idea about; like flotation, articulation, low gear, etc.
i am NOT looking for a 4x4,lifted,arb'd (although that arb bumper looks cool) rig.
i do consider the off-road driving to be more severe and more frequent than the avg. suv owner- obviously, not as severe as many here. i've been thru deep mud, stuff i had to walk, water crossings- but mostly fireroad/singletrack/beaches. i've only scraped bottom once in the 4 yrs i've owned my x.
keep in mind the only changes i would make are relatively minor- tires, shocks, off-road lights,etc- because i dont want my road trip performance spoiled.

my question:
i've noticed alot of talk of the superior capability of the jeep gc. i got to ride a tacoma 4door 4x4 and was mightily impressed. it also has bfg lt's so i felt like i could compare.
i don't mind the xterra's on-road ride because its so great off. honestly, from you experienced guys, how does the xterra 4x4 compare to the toyota (4runner,tacoma), mitsu and jeep or any others you consider worthy for my situation?

i really am considering the 02 xterra- the engine choices are disappointing; tacoma 4 door- fugly grille; jgc- i have a strong feeling it would spend alot of time in a repair shop....

thanks in advance guys

------------------

#95718 - 17/07/01 05:57 PM Re: honest 4x4 evaluation
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
Quote:
Originally posted by neil:
i've only scraped bottom once in the 4 yrs i've owned my x.

1) What year is your Xterra? 4 years?

2) Remember, there is a huge difference in price between the Xterra and 4 runner. So to me it makes it apples and oranges. Don't really know the price of a Tacoma, but for what you mentioned there's no reason why a stock 02 wouldn't handle those things beautifully.

------------------
Official DJ for Arkansas Ozarks hillbilly weddings.

#95719 - 18/07/01 08:37 AM Re: honest 4x4 evaluation
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
The advantage of a Taco is a little more ground clearance, a locker, bilstien shocks, and fancy TRD stickers if you buy the TRD option package. Taco's do great on the trail, but not so great as a daily commuter (rough ride), and they have a small bed, and are many have reported head gasket problems.

4Runner - way too expensive to actually take out on a trail.

Mitsubishi - Station wagon with 4 wheel drive. They make televisons too.

Jeep - Rough on the road, great on the trail. You'll spend a lot of Saturdays in the repair shop waiting room.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#95720 - 18/07/01 10:32 PM Re: honest 4x4 evaluation
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I almost got a Cherokee before I decided on the X. It's good for a new ofroader because as you get more experience you can keep upgrading it untill it can go places the Xterra can only dream about.
The drawback is that onroad its a bit rough, it has a tendancy to rattle into pieces, and the more offroad worhty it is the more the onroad performance suffers.

Don't know about the others, I like the 4Runner but its expensive.

------------------
Relax, have fun
-Dustin
"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you."

Xterra101.com

#95721 - 25/07/01 03:10 PM Re: honest 4x4 evaluation
SnoDog Offline

Loc: Bay Area, Ca
Rented a Mitubishi in Colorado - got the upgrade to V6 for power over the passes. It was the biggest POS I've ever driven. I'd take an Exploder over the Mitubishi. Had an overwhelming feeling of tipping because of the narrow track...funny how consumer reports found this to be true in their tests. Not that I trust them either, but it validates what I know about the Mitubishi. The V6 *power* was pretty much a joke also...

Drove several rental exploders in 4x4 trim. My former comapny used to use them in the auto pool also. If you didn't pay for it, could get rid of it before 60,000 miles or it killed you, then they were great vehicles. Pricey to drive and fix. Didn't hold up well in the beater force. My 200,000 mile Nissan 4x4 rode better onroad and off than the Explorer/Ranger vehicles in the pool.

I've been in several types of Jeep vehicles and I agree with the phrase, the more offroad worthy there get, there worse they are onroad. But you can get accessories for them everywhere. If you can wrench yourself and stay away from the cherokee line, you won't do to bad.

I know several people with forerunners. They all live in snow country and oddly enough, every one of them dislikes their vehicle. All want to trade for soemthing else. My friend has driven Toyota her whole life. I left her take the Frontier to the store and now she wants one. I told to go drive the X then make a choice. Can't wait until summer to see what she buys. Common complaint I've heard about 4skinner's - They do not turn too sharp. Like turning a barge.

I've driven many Toyota trucks. They have all ridden harsher than my Nissans. It's a trivial point, but I'll write it anyway, Nissan's hood slopes more than the Toy. The Toy has a large * nose * poking out in front of the winshield which has been quite an annoyance while navigating trail. JMHO.

So far I've been very happy with all the Nissan 4x4's I've owned.

------------------
SNG
2k CC XE 4x4 Auto 3 packages

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal