shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95898 - 23/12/03 12:24 PM Advice please
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am mildly modifying my stock rig...Goodyear MT/Rs 265/75/16 and shrockworks sliders. Looking into front and rear air locker's and aftermarked shocks down the road. I am very wary of any kind of lift because I do not want to alter the structural integrity or suspension dynamics set up by nissan. I figure that stock and with the new tires I should have about 11 inches of ground clearance tops. Is this a sufficient setup for some mild to intermediate offroading...or is a lift absolutely needed? I am not looking to go insane in the mudpits and rock gardens, but I would like to hit some trails and see what my truck can do. Your opinions would be appreciated!!

#95899 - 23/12/03 12:31 PM Re: Advice please
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
You can do quite a lot with a bone stock truck... Just keep it slow and keep the big rocks under your tires/sliders... I am working on getting underbody armor, though... can't hurt.

If you can afford the lockers, that makes it even better because you will generally be able to crawl (idle or very low throttle) over stuff and won't have to use momentum... momentum = damage.

Oh - and removing the sway bars - particularly the front - makes a huge difference in your ability to keep tires on the ground... it's a 0 dollar mod that is very worth it! Just put the front one back ON before driving on the street.

#95900 - 23/12/03 03:00 PM Re: Advice please
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser442:
You can do quite a lot with a bone stock truck... Just keep it slow and keep the big rocks under your tires/sliders... I am working on getting underbody armor, though... can't hurt.

Oh - and removing the sway bars - particularly the front - makes a huge difference in your ability to keep tires on the ground... it's a 0 dollar mod that is very worth it! Just put the front one back ON before driving on the street.
You can do a poor man's 1-1/2" Lift with some Calmini Rear Shackle's and cranking up the Torsion Bars, that's what I did...and then with some 31" Tires (hopefully very soon) it should give me an extra 1" or so of Lift...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#95901 - 23/12/03 03:19 PM Re: Advice please
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rickster,

Noticed the PIAA 510 lights you put into the existing fog light holes....very nice....was that hard?,...How much did it cost you?

#95902 - 23/12/03 04:23 PM Re: Advice please
Anonymous
Unregistered

The stock X is very capable for easy to moderate off-roading. I have done most of the trails near Ouray, CO and parts of Moab with no modifications and with the crappy stock general grabbers. And like Kaisser said take it slow and use smart tire placement.

#95903 - 23/12/03 05:24 PM Re: Advice please
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Abt:
Rickster,

Noticed the PIAA 510 lights you put into the existing fog light holes....very nice....was that hard?,...How much did it cost you?
They are pretty nice, they give out alot of light, for those dark lonely roads...the place where I got them at, actually installed them...total came around $250, but well worth it...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal