2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95966 - 25/05/05 10:35 AM New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought a 2000 4x4 SE and i want to start investing and getting into the offroading scene here in TN. I dont know much now so when i go to websites i really dont know where to start. Was thinking some people here could help get me started.

#95967 - 25/05/05 10:39 AM Re: New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

just saw the "newbie" topic below. post if you want but i can probably get info from there.

#95968 - 25/05/05 11:10 AM Re: New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
What kind of off roading interests you?

For example, there's trail riding, mostly dirt/gravel or sand, etc...mudding, mostly, well, mud and water, etc...and rock crawling...mostly, uh, rocks.

laugh

The reason I ask is that you can mod a bit differntly for each scenario, and put your money to best use.

Rockcrawling is a slow technical process where you need to be able to think about several things at once to avoid rolling over, smashing something, breaking parts, etc...but a lot of fun if you ease into it...then its a slow motion roller coaster. You need armor, and clearance, and hard to puncture tires. Lockers and a winch, etc, help.

Mudding requires lots of traction, big tread lugs, and power to churn them....a snorkle to breath when you submerge helps, as do washable upholstery, etc.

Trail riding can require any combination, as its what ever you encounter, a puddle, a river, a fallen log, a broken down jeep, etc....but is typically more tame versions of what a crawler or mudder might attempt.

TN has wooded, muddy areas, so mud or trail would be easy to find...rocks are also around (Mtns).

So - What interests you?

You ready to go hard core and cut sheet metal, or are you looking to keep stock appearance?

laugh

Another considerations - Do you drive to work or school everyday...so you need mods that will work ON road too?

laugh

Do you have an idea as to how much on or off road cabability you would sacrifice to maximize the other?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#95969 - 25/05/05 06:28 PM Re: New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

join a club

#95970 - 25/05/05 06:57 PM Re: New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

dont buy a brushguard!

#95971 - 25/05/05 08:24 PM Re: New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey why not buy a brushguard?? u had one

#95972 - 26/05/05 05:38 AM Re: New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
People who HAD one are the ones who sometimes know best!

laugh

Brush guards do not protect from impacts, despite appearances, they just bend over and whack the rest of the truck, causing more damage than if you dodn't have one...they also kill your approach angle....and you need a real bumper to mount a winch on anyway.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#95973 - 26/05/05 07:33 AM Re: New Owner-wants to get into 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xxcalibur 4x4:
hey why not buy a brushguard?? u had one
cause you'll catch a lot of shit for it! laugh

i bought the brushguard before i knew anything about offroad modification. i thought it was a good buy, it definately looked good.

i never had a problem with the guard coming back on my hood or any of the front end to cause damage like you read about on here ( i even hit a rock climb pretty hard ) the problem i did have was the aproach angle, once i got the shrock bumper, its like driving a totally different vehicle. you really cant tell how important an aproach angle is until you have experienced it with and without.

as soon as i realized the guard was more of a hindurance than than it doing any good, i started saving up the cash to change it.

i now others that have em, and i dont beat on them for it, i still like them,i just dont want one.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal