Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96010 - 11/02/04 03:41 PM Re: Xterra vs. other 4x4 suv's?
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
older cherokees could be lifted higher before needing a slip yoke kit. My 2000 was starting to show some issue at 3" with the proper shims installed. Just like their quality, they varied a lot in this area too.

As far as the newer 4 runners, I must admit that I haven't done enough background on them to see if they lost anything, as I bought the X and wasn't looking after that. Having said that, the Toyotas have one thing I really do miss with the X, more aftermarket availability. Not as much as for a Jeep, butter easily twice what we have available. The X market is comming along though.

#96011 - 11/02/04 04:01 PM Re: Xterra vs. other 4x4 suv's?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtracurricular:
older cherokees could be lifted higher before needing a slip yoke kit. My 2000 was starting to show some issue at 3" with the proper shims installed. Just like their quality, they varied a lot in this area too.
3" is about the limit for an Xterra without putting a solid axle under the front. I bought my girlfriend a 3.5" lift that came out to be 4.5" in front and 5" in back. With a SYE and new drive shaft it was still about $500 less than the 3" lift I put on mine.

#96012 - 11/02/04 06:08 PM Re: Xterra vs. other 4x4 suv's?
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Most early 90s 4 Runners rear bumpers are not real bumpers like on the X. They more or less attached to the body. Get rear-ended major damage!

Dan

#96013 - 11/02/04 06:15 PM Re: Xterra vs. other 4x4 suv's?
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
Quote:
Originally posted by Excelagator:
Most early 90s 4 Runners rear bumpers are not real bumpers like on the X. They more or less attached to the body. Get rear-ended major damage!

Dan
Yes, the bumpers on the 2nd gen (and I think the 3rd gen) 4runners are attached to the body. However, I saw one on a trail and he came down pretty hard on it. Surprisingly, it held up pretty well, it was a little tweaked but much better than I expected. Never seen one in an accident, though.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal