2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96105 - 08/11/04 06:05 PM Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering what the advantage is in the 4x4 system used in my 2000 Xterra over the system used in my 2002 Pathfinder?

As I look at my Xterra is really reminds me of my 92 Pathfinder 4x4 system, with its extremely low first gear and having to slow to less that 25 mph to shift into 4 wheel drive.

My 2002 Pathfinder (my 96 Path also) seemes to have a more reasonable first gear and can be shifted into 4 wheel drive at any speed, which is extremely convenient driving on snow and ice in winter.

Is there some practical reason that the old style 4x4 system is used in the Xterra instead of what seems to be a far more user friendly system in the Pathfinder?

Tom

#96106 - 08/11/04 06:43 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The Xterra has the same system as your old 92.

The 02 offers a part-time (like the 92 and Xterra) or full-time 4WD system. The part-time is the same except it does not have locking 4WD hubs, the front CV shafts, diff, and driveshaft are always turning with the tires, so you can shift into 4H at higher speeds with no problem.
The full-time (all-mode) system on the 02 LE is the same as the part-time system as far as the hubs, but the transfer case has a differential in it that allows the front and rear driveshafts to rotate at different speeds in 4WD so it can be used on high-traction surfaces without damage.
I wouldn't call the "new" system more practical, unless you're someone that just can't fathom the intricacies of a part-time system and when and when not to use it.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#96107 - 08/11/04 08:24 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just find the new system more practical for my use for winter driving in WI, where the roads go from completely dry to ice or snow in a second. It is a pain to have to slow to a crawl to shift into 4 wheel drive, especially if you are in traffic with the old system. I obviously have to slow down anyway with the new system, but I am slowing down in 4 wheel drive instead of 2 wheel drive, which gives me more stability.

Tom

#96108 - 08/11/04 08:56 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

before you get on the road, shift into 4hi.. drive a few feet, and shift back into 2hi.. the hubs are now locked.. as long as you don't back up, they will stay that way.. you can shift at any speed..

#96109 - 10/11/04 10:23 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brent,
as far as this comment is concerned..."I wouldn't call the "new" system more practical, unless you're someone that just can't fathom the intricacies of a part-time system and when and when not to use it."

thats just ridiculous. Full time 4wd does have distinct advantages over a part time system, but yes it is less fuel efficient...you might say it increases wear on drivetrain components blah blah blah, but average owners do not keep their vehicles past the warranty period or that much past it. you really need to stop trying to sound sophisticated with phrases "fathom the intricacies" because a 4wd system is not that intricate at all, and very easy to understand.

#96110 - 11/11/04 12:08 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Name one advantage of full time 4x4 over part time then, other than the - "dumbass soccer mom that doesn't know better than drive 80 on a winter day and always happens to hit that "unexpected" patch of black ice".

#96111 - 11/11/04 12:14 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Name one advantage of full time 4x4 over part time then
Having all 4 wheels driving the vehicle all the time is always superior to 2.

#96112 - 11/11/04 06:41 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Name one advantage of full time 4x4 over part time then, other than the - "dumbass soccer mom that doesn't know better than drive 80 on a winter day and always happens to hit that "unexpected" patch of black ice".
dumbass soccer mom that doesn't know better than drive 80 on a winter day and always happens to hit that "unexpected" patch of black ice

oh wait, you already said that..

The transfer case we find on the Xterra is better for those of us that want to go offroad, and its cheaper. That's the only reason its there. Its old technology.

Other systems are better for road driving, like, what cars and truck are for, you know, driving to work, get the grocery, visit friends. Full-time is then better. Or all those new systems that reacts for the conditions. Not everyone is a good driver that has mystic knowledge about 4x4, and one would be foolish to believe it.

#96113 - 11/11/04 06:46 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find it hard to believe that you can't tell the difference between driving on slick surfaces with all four wheels connected and with only the two rear wheels driving your X. You don't have to be driving 80 to get jammed up when you hit black ice and many times I have gained stability at far slower speeds by shifting into 4 wheel drive.

I realize you are suppose to be able to shift at higher speeds if your hubs area already locked, but my 92 Pathfinder never really worked that way at speed above 35 without making a lot of noise.

Tom

#96114 - 11/11/04 08:30 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Even if you're driving at 40 mph, and hit black ice, if you're in 2 wheel drive, shifting into 4wd isn't gonna' help you any. You've got to be in 4wd BEFORE you slide, or else it's not doing you any good.

Besides, the new pathfinder isn't all-time 4WD, anyways. It's still part-time 4WD, it just doesn't have front wheel disconnects (hubs) like the older Pathy, Xterras, etc. It's only full-time 4WD, if you're dumb enough to drive around everywhere with the damn switch turned to 4WD...

And yeah, it's more convenient to shift into 4WD on the fly at higher speeds, when the road all the sudden turns to shit. BUT, if the road is turning to shit, then you should SLOW DOWN anyways, and preferably do so BEFORE it turns bad, 'cause 4WD will help you get moving, and help you turn (slightly), but it doesn't do anything to help you stop/slow down.

#96115 - 11/11/04 10:23 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

4WD won't help you turn, at least not if you are ging more then 10 or 15 mph.. at slow speeds tire slipping isn't a big deal. with the xfer case locked the front & rear turn at the same speed. in a turn the front end goes farther and the rear end travels less, due to off tracking. the result is somthing has to give, a CV (not likely) or a tire slipping (thats the one).. the result is you have at least 1 tire slipping, grabbing, and slipping again going around a corner. a slight corner you don't notice much. a sharp show covered corner, and you skid around the place. I leave mine in 2WD until i stop, then shift to 4HI to get moving again, then back to 2WD.. I want 4 tires with traction for turns, not 3..

#96116 - 11/11/04 11:14 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
[b]Name one advantage of full time 4x4 over part time then
Having all 4 wheels driving the vehicle all the time is always superior to 2.[/b]
........unless you care about gas mileage.

Full time 4wd/Awd has become so popular because Americans hate to think. With Awd, that's one less thing to think about.

I must admit, though. I love the Awd on the WRX STi. It has so much power, it would smoke the tires all the time without Awd.

If Tom is driving over 25 on road surfaces that require 4wd he deserves to end up in that ditch. Colorado is full of SUV's driving around, way too fast, in 4wd/Awd. Every snowstorm I see SUV's crashed, flipped and stuck. These people use their 4wd all winter, regardless of conditions. Driving too fast with their "invincible" (because of 4wd) attitude is what gets them stuck and crashed. I, personally learned how to drive in the Northeast's deep and frequent snow. I had a '78 Impala with rear wheel drive and always had a healthy respect for the snow. I spend almost all winter in 2wd, because anybody who is driving safely can manage most of our conditions in 2wd.

4wd is not, and never will be, a substitute for learning/knowing how to drive.

Be safe this winter!! [Wave]

#96117 - 11/11/04 01:29 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
RJ Offline

If you're on a surface that you'll be always slipping with 2wd, then that means it'll be safe to use a part time 4wd.

If the ground is not slick enough that you'll easily spin the rear tires, then driving all 4 wheels is a waste of energy.

But if you're sliding all over the place with 3 toddlers in the back and talking on the cell phone and doing makeup, then you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Factor in the real life advantages of part time 4wd (lower production and design cost, maintence cost, fuel savings and durability), I'd still take a part time 4wd any day.

Even if I have an STi, I'd adjust the torque bias to all the way back. On dry surfaces RWD is always one of the best in terms of handling, as throttle steer is always possible.

#96118 - 11/11/04 08:47 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

In WI the roads will be dry for miles and then there will be an occasional slick spot, be it snow blowing across the road or ice. I regularly travel the length of the state and road conditions change dramatically from one end to the other.

Contrary to the statement that "Even if you're driving at 40 mph, and hit black ice, if you're in 2 wheel drive, shifting into 4wd isn't gonna' help you any" shifting into 4 wheel drive does help stabilize the vehicle. Being forced to slow down to shift into 4 wheel drive is dangerous in the express way especially in traffic, which is why I started this thread about the Pathfinder system vs the Xterra system.

I don't care what you call the system, full time or part time 4 wheel drive, I prefer the system that allows me to shift at any speed, instead of having to slow down to 25 to activate the 4x4 system.

#96119 - 11/11/04 08:48 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Besides, the new pathfinder isn't all-time 4WD, anyways. It's still part-time 4WD
Actually, it's like the 01-04 Pathfinder, available with a part-time or full-time (all-mode) transfer case. The LE trim got/gets the all-mode one, the others got/get the part-time one.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#96120 - 12/11/04 01:32 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
RJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
I don't care what you call the system, full time or part time 4 wheel drive, I prefer the system that allows me to shift at any speed, instead of having to slow down to 25 to activate the 4x4 system.
Like many people have said, just leave your hubs locked on a bad weather day. This way, you'll have shift on the fly all the way to the X's 95 mph limiter. You'll get something like 1 - 2% worse fuel economy, but it's the same in a permanently locked hub like a Pathfinder.

If you say that somehow you need to shift to 4wd on a hot summer day at 60 mph, then I guess you should get a full time 4wd. But I really don't see the point in that.

#96121 - 12/11/04 06:11 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a newbie...and I am a bit confused.

So..in the X, you have to shift into 4WH below 25 mph...unless you keep the hubs engaged?

Is this what people were saying when instructing people to put it in 4WH, roll forward, then take it out of 4WH, and put it in reverse? Does this keep the hubs engaged?

Also, I have tried to shift into 4WH below 25, and I can't get it to go. Am I doing something wrong, or do you just have to slam it? I usually have to stop with it in drive, and switch it to 4WH...

~~~~
Edit...

Ok...I read the sticky. I think I understand most everything. The only thing still a bit confusing is the hubs. Is there a way to set them so that you can switch to 4WH at any speed...(theoretically, not that I would need to).

Thanks,
Patrick

#96122 - 12/11/04 08:10 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pweizman:
[QBThe only thing still a bit confusing is the hubs. Is there a way to set them so that you can switch to 4WH at any speed...(theoretically, not that I would need to).

Thanks,
Patrick[/QB]
Install manual hubs and you could switch from 2 to 4 and back again at any speed (assuming the hubs are locked in).

#96123 - 12/11/04 08:13 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
If Tom is driving over 25 on road surfaces that require 4wd he deserves to end up in that ditch.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but why do you say this? On snowy winter roads I go into 4wd for extra stability and often travel at speeds well over 25mph.

#96124 - 12/11/04 08:51 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's being said because, if conditions are actually bad enough to NEED 4WD, then you shouldn't be driving that fast.

Problem is, a lot of people "think" they need 4WD, and they don't. That, and they "think" 4WD makes them invincible, so they don't slow down when they actually NEED 4WD.

Either way, if it's actually needed, 25 MPH is just about the fastest you're gonna' be able to go, much less want to go!

#96125 - 12/11/04 08:58 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Quote:
[b]If Tom is driving over 25 on road surfaces that require 4wd he deserves to end up in that ditch.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but why do you say this? On snowy winter roads I go into 4wd for extra stability and often travel at speeds well over 25mph.[/b]
That's why I used the word "require".

As a ski pass holder who has to cross one 10K foot pass and one 11K+ foot pass (both ways) EVERY time I hit the slopes, I have lots of experience in some very severe driving conditions. I rarely use 4wd. The conditions that warrant 4wd are so severe that I'm commonly going 10-15 mph, at the most. That "extra stability" that people think they get in 4wd doesn't exist (for the smart driver). For the bonehead who doesn't know how to use their gas pedal, however, 4wd will help prevent him from spinning his X. Staying in 2wd is actually an advantage in some conditions, because a smart driver can use his rear end as a good traction barometer.

I need to take some pictures next storm.......

It's never the Accords or Maximas in the ditch. It's always the 4runners and Explorers. The illusion that 4wd gives a driver can be a very dangerous thing.........

#96126 - 12/11/04 09:08 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom:

If you don't understand the advantages of the Xterra's real truck 4wd system, then I think you should consider a vehicle better suited to your needs:

It even includes neon license plate frame and brush guard!!

For my needs, I'll keep my X:

#96127 - 12/11/04 09:15 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
That "extra stability" that people think they get in 4wd doesn't exist (for the smart driver). For the bonehead who doesn't know how to use their gas pedal, however, 4wd will help prevent him from spinning his X.
Hmm...I disagree with almost everything you said. Well, I agree that a lot of drivers get overconfident with 4wd and that sometimes it's use isn't warranted. But the rest of it is largely bullshit. wink

I drive on slick roads a lot in the winter, and 4wd makes an enormous difference - and I'm not a "bonehead" or a "dumb driver."

#96128 - 12/11/04 11:02 AM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

I learned to drive in the snow in the Pacific Northwest, driving a Ford Ranger, 4x4.

First lesson: 4WD is only used AFTER you get stuck...

I had to commute over Mt. Hood twice a day, for 4 weeks (including weekends). This is a pass that has signs at both ends that REQUIRE snow chains for semi's, and are recommended for everybody else. They don't even bother trying to scrape all the snow off the road; they just use a snow blower to take off the fresh powder.

From that experience, I learned that 4x4 doesn't do you anygood, on a completely snow-covered road; it's just as likely to slide as in 2WD, at speed. The only time 4x4 is helpful is when the truck was stuck, and/or, starting from a stop on an incline. Other than those instances, I never had to use 4x4.

#96129 - 12/11/04 05:00 PM Re: Xterra 4x4 vs Pathfinder 4x4
Anonymous
Unregistered

This last post is ridiculous at best!

I drive in snow and ice for 4 months out of the year and while hunting in Northern Wi 4 wheel drive will get you through any logging road that will not get you hung up on the frame, while 2 wheel drive will just get you stuck.

I expect that you should have put some weight in the back of your Ranger so you could tell the difference between 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive.

That may be good advice in Kentucky, but it is the worst advice in Wisconsin where we actually have snow more than two days out of the year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal