2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97103 - 11/11/04 11:35 AM Skid Plates
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was looking under the X the other day and noticed carnage-o-plenty. The oil pan is dented, so its the front skid plate and there are scratches and gouges everywhere (LCA's, especially, have taken a beating).

Since I'm not looking to pay the ridiculous prices I've seen for skid plates, I was kinda thinking that I should fab them myself. I need to ask a few questions before taking this on:

Which ones are most important?

Is there anywhere I can get the schematics?

*If not, is there anybody willing to measure theirs?

What gauge metal should I use (HRS/CRS)?

Anybody mind posting pics?

Thanks!

#97104 - 11/11/04 11:43 AM Re: Skid Plates
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most people that have had them fabbed have been real close to the cost of premade skids.. If you do the work yourself, you can save a few dollars.
The way I was looking (until I priced doing them myself) was to make a cardboard cutout (get a u-haul wardrobe box to sacrifice) cut + bend (with ductape) poke holes & bolt on way way you want it.
Measure and mark everything when it is attacked, then remove and measure the total plate size, and locations of the holes. The on truck measurements are so you can do the bends correctly.

#97105 - 11/11/04 12:18 PM Re: Skid Plates
Anonymous
Unregistered

Basically, you want to cover the t-case, cover the transmission, cover the oil pan, and cover the gas tank. Those are the areas to focus on.

You could fab them up yourself, but steel plate is VERY expensive.

Fortunately, I can help 'ya out...

Click here:

http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/forsale/TrannySkid.htm

This is coolerman, who's sold his Xterra. He's got custom plates that were made, which are as strong, if not stronger, than the aftermarket ones. And they're dirt cheap, compared to the other prices on the net.

If you don't get them, though, you can at least look at them and get a good idea of what all you need to do, as well as how to mount 'em, etc.

#97106 - 11/11/04 04:30 PM Re: Skid Plates
IggyB Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Send me an E-mail at IggyB@shaw.ca and I'll send you pics of my custom skids. They are for a Frontier. Same as X.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal