shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97283 - 10/09/03 09:38 PM a couple of questions...
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
Not trying to be a jackass or anything, but I am curious, Why is the Forerunners coil spring set up better than leaf? We want to disconnect our swaybars for more articulation, but don't like IFS? Do solid axles "articulate" better? Why do we like to mount spare tires to the roof? It would seem that the weight and it's effects on center of gravity would be bad. Besides, with the hitch, my spare isn't really the limiting factor for my departure angle. Any info would be appreciated.
MV

#97284 - 10/09/03 10:12 PM Re: a couple of questions...
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Why is the Forerunners coil spring set up better than leaf?
I prefer coil to leaf because it's ease to lift but alot of people debate the bennefits of the two.

We want to disconnect our swaybars for more articulation, but don't like IFS? Do solid axles "articulate" better?
Yes and Yes. IFS doesn't articulate as well as solid, one wheel moves up the other does nothing. Solid you push up one the other moves down (a little), plus soild has more travel.

Why do we like to mount spare tires to the roof?It would seem that the weight and it's effects on center of gravity would be bad.
I don't, keep all weight as low as possible.

Besides, with the hitch, my spare isn't really the limiting factor for my departure angle. Any info would be appreciated.

Even without the hitch the spare isn't much of a problem, the rubber is the only part that touches anything. I've only seen the spare ripped off once and it was Ivan that did it which explains it. wink :p

Xterra101.com

#97285 - 10/09/03 11:39 PM Re: a couple of questions...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Coil springs are better because they offer a better ride, don't squeak, don't hang out where they can be damaged by rocks, and are generally more reliable. Also a lot easier to lift with them. I don't mind the leaf springs (except for the noises they make), but torsion bars (front) are the devil's work.

Pretend your hand is attached directly to your shoulder and imagine how much travel it has. Then notice how much travel your whole arm has when extended. That's the difference between IFS and solid axle. The IFS works on short arms that just can't move that much. The swaybar ties the two sides together so if you push up on one side the swaybar pushes the other side up with it. Removing it allows each side to move independently.

People put their tires on their roof because they think it's cool. There is almost no real good reason to do it unless you have oversized tires and no rear tire carrier...it's inconvenient, unecessary, and makes changing a tire a real chore.

BTW, it's 4Runner, not "Forerunner." [Wave]

#97286 - 11/09/03 07:52 AM Re: a couple of questions...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I've seen 2 spares knocked from below an Xterra actually.
The reason I put mine on top is because it is potentially at risk of being cut or having the bead popped by a rock or the like while under there. Yeah, it's a slim chance, but it's still a chance. Also, those with 33s or larger and no rear carrier have no choice but to put it up there or in the cargo area.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#97287 - 13/09/03 02:57 AM Re: a couple of questions...
Strider Offline

Loc: Huntington, WV, USA
Just a comment on the "where to put the spare issue". At the place I used to work, we did A LOT of off-roading in very remote areas, utilizing Jeep Cherokee's, Toyota Pick-ups, a big Dodge diesel pick-up, an Isuszu Trooper and an Isuzu Rodeo. The Rodeo, while having plenty of power and pretty good gearing had a spare tire that, due to the way it was mounted under the vehicle, actually was lower than the rear pumpkin. Well, myself and a couple of the other guys had disagreed with the idea of purchasing this vehicle, due to this spare-tire issue. However, in 2-plus years of heavy use, and multiple hard hits, the spare was still there when I left. Sure, the rim is beat up and the tire has some scuff marks, but it stayed put. I can recall numerous times, after having rock-crawled my way up a mountain or washed-out pipeline, dragging the rear-end all the way convinced that I had destroyed the spare, getting out at my destination and finding it still there. The spare on the Xterra is much higher than that on a Rodeo, so I wouldn't worry about moving it. The only vehicles that, in my opinion, have any right to carry a spare on the roof is a Jeep Cherokee or some other similar vehicle that locates the spare inside the rear cargo area. Then, if you carry a lot of stuff, the roof may be the only option (save a new bumper/tire carrier, which is just something that is in the way)

Just my $0.02 worth

#97288 - 13/09/03 11:05 AM Re: a couple of questions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got a little different take on that. My biggest worry is not being able to get the spare out when needed. Like this year at Gone on Golden Spike, when I debeaded mine. My ass end was slammed against the ground and my front was up on a ledge. It was to dangerous to move without more carnage. I don't think I could have gotten it out.

#97289 - 13/09/03 01:53 PM Re: a couple of questions...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Good point, that slipped my mind.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#97290 - 15/09/03 05:40 PM Re: a couple of questions...
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by marty2:
I've got a little different take on that. My biggest worry is not being able to get the spare out when needed. Like this year at Gone on Golden Spike, when I debeaded mine. My ass end was slammed against the ground and my front was up on a ledge. It was to dangerous to move without more carnage. I don't think I could have gotten it out.
if it's that dangerous, drive aways. if ya can't drive aways as with your incident, use someone elses spare. in extreme situations being off an inch or two on tire diameter is better than dropping a truck.

on top/underneath, no matter what you'll find an argument for one over the other. for us, my wife would have a very difficulkt time getting a spare off the top and the flat placed back on top.

#97291 - 16/09/03 10:03 AM Re: a couple of questions...
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
People put their tires on their roof because they think it's cool. There is almost no real good reason to do it unless you have oversized tires and no rear tire carrier...it's inconvenient, unecessary, and makes changing a tire a real chore.
It is cool, really. My cool factor went up by 10% when I put the tire on the roof.

Actually, I put my 33" spare on the roof because it takes up too much room in the cargo area. There's no chance my wife could get the 55lb spare out of the cargo area, off the roof, off a tire carrie or from under the X, so where it is doesn't really matter. I have no problem removing it from the roof and/or putting it back up there.

I personally think it looks super hillbilly having the tire on the roof, but until a rear tire carrier is the top item on my list (it's about number 7 or so on the list), it stays on the roof.

-Michael

#97292 - 17/09/03 08:19 AM Re: a couple of questions...
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
so the ideal situation is to put it in the cargo area or on a swing away tire carrier?
too bad the tire bumpers are so expensive. i'll end up spending more on one bumper than i did on a set of tires, or what i spent on my suspension.

#97293 - 17/09/03 09:57 AM Re: a couple of questions...
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
The last couple trips I have been putting the tire in the cargo area. I usually stand it up and secure it to the inside of the driver's side of the cargo area using 1 ceiling tie down and 1 floor tie down. When secured with a ratchet strap it stays very secure. Unfortuantely the tire is too big to fit back there without folding down the driver's side bench seat so it doesn't stay there all the time (I need to fit 2 car seats in the back).

-Michael

#97294 - 17/09/03 01:17 PM Re: a couple of questions...
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the two occasions that I put my spare inside the truck my wife raised hell over the smell it creates.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal