shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98001 - 30/07/03 05:11 PM Re: 4 LOW ?? HOW CAN I TELL??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks xoc. I thought about what you said about not going into N on transfer, and realized you meant no pause in N. I saw your video and see what you mean, I'll do it that way next time. See, I thought I had it figured out, oh well, time to go home, I learned something for today.

#98002 - 31/07/03 03:29 PM Re: 4 LOW ?? HOW CAN I TELL??
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
I'm just wondering though, why is it that you can't put the transmission lever into park when the transfer case is in neutral ?
I did it by mistake when I first got my X, the transmission, not the transfer case, started to grind like crazy. It's the same grinding as if you put the transmission into park while the vehicle is moving. I didn't even know what to do back then, so I quickly switched off the engine.

#98003 - 31/07/03 04:35 PM Re: 4 LOW ?? HOW CAN I TELL??
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It's because the transmission is sending power out the back to the transfer case. The transfer case is in neutral, so there is nothing stopping the output shaft of the transmission from turning.

Basically it's like you're driving slowly, and you shifted into Park.

#98004 - 03/08/03 09:45 PM Re: 4 LOW ?? HOW CAN I TELL??
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the 03 if you flip the drivers side viser down it tells you how to shift to 4lo

#98005 - 04/08/03 09:59 AM Re: 4 LOW ?? HOW CAN I TELL??
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by YoungOne:
On the 03 if you flip the drivers side viser down it tells you how to shift to 4lo
Its there on all models actually, but its not very well written - hence all that confusion about not pushing head of transfer case. If it wont be for this board - i probably would be asking same question now cool

#98006 - 09/08/03 12:33 PM Re: 4 LOW ?? HOW CAN I TELL??
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
Quote:
Originally posted by X2theZ:
Quote:
it will grind like hell if you do it smoothly. You have to go for it very quickly, throw it in there (even then it might grind, but it's ok). The first time I did it I was really wondering if it was normal, but now I know it is.
UM actually it shouldnt grind at all.... I have put mine into 4lo many times and never grind maybe you should read the manual again?? [Wave]
Neither do I, I have only used 4LO once and i didnt really NEED it but i thought i would put it in 4LO just to see if i could, no grinding i threw the lever really fast and cranked my hand on the cupholder because i threw it so hard. [Wave]

#98007 - 09/08/03 12:47 PM Re: 4 LOW ?? HOW CAN I TELL??
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Just go into 4lo when you first hit the trails. Then you don't have to worry about it when you are on an incline and need it. Less trail damage is a good thing.

4hi is only good for snow or slippery roads not trails.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal