shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98603 - 28/10/02 03:51 PM What I Use my X For...
ColinT Offline

Loc: Dover, NH
I've just been reading the posts about the X v. Jeep and seeing as I have had my X for a little over a week and traded in a Cherokee for it, I just wanted to put in my two cents. I loved my Jeep. Chances are, if Jeep hadn't gone against tradition and came out with the abortion known as the Liberty, I'd be driving another Cherokee. However, since owning the X, there are quite a few things I like better. Seeing as I mainly use it for carting gear to a put-in or trailhead, carting my wife and dogs with me, needing four wheel drive in sticky situations, and for the occasional jaunt off road to reach our destination, the X is the better purchase as it is more comfortable, quieter, and better amenities. If I were a hard core go off road all the time kind of person, then the Jeep I would probably get a Wrangler and be done with it. But the Wrangler doesn't have room for any kind of gear outside of a daypack, or for my dogs.
Besides, I'd rather explore trails by foot or bike or boat.

I'll cherish the time I had with my Jeep, but...
The X is my new baby. Perfect for everything I do.
-ct

#98604 - 28/10/02 04:42 PM Re: What I Use my X For...
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by ColinT:
I've just been reading the posts about the X v. Jeep and seeing as I have had my X for a little over a week and traded in a Cherokee for it, I just wanted to put in my two cents. I loved my Jeep. Chances are, if Jeep hadn't gone against tradition and came out with the abortion known as the Liberty, I'd be driving another Cherokee. However, since owning the X, there are quite a few things I like better. Seeing as I mainly use it for carting gear to a put-in or trailhead, carting my wife and dogs with me, needing four wheel drive in sticky situations, and for the occasional jaunt off road to reach our destination, the X is the better purchase as it is more comfortable, quieter, and better amenities. If I were a hard core go off road all the time kind of person, then the Jeep I would probably get a Wrangler and be done with it. But the Wrangler doesn't have room for any kind of gear outside of a daypack, or for my dogs.
Besides, I'd rather explore trails by foot or bike or boat.
Could not agree more, we have 2 big dogs and I don't think there would even be room for a daypack with them in a Wrangler! laugh

-Chris

#98605 - 29/10/02 09:44 AM Re: What I Use my X For...
MHSlash Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
You have hit the nail on the head!! I sold my Wrangler for ALL of the reasons you mentioned (and also driving it on the freeway with two small children started to scare the stool outta me). The major mods I am considering after some research on this board are rear lockers and perhaps a front LSD, to help out my piece of mind off road, but overall, I love this thing!

laugh

#98606 - 12/11/02 09:17 PM Re: What I Use my X For...
copeland Offline

Loc: B.C., Canada
Awww, I can't let the Wrangler go down in flames.
It's a matter of compromise...True it's got limited room, but look at the add ons...roof racks/cargo baskets, trailer hitch baskets, baskets for swing out carriers...The room is available, you just got to look. This summer I went for a four day backpakcing trip...52k...took nine hours to get there, it sucked for comfort but we did it...I made a platform out of plywood with eyeholes for my roof rack and threw two full 60 liter bags on it and one 45 liter bag inside with three guys, two 6ft tall. Would I have liked more room...sure, but would that one time make we want to ditch the TJ??? No way.--
"...And remember, keep a parts catalog handy, if something wont come off or out, check the price, and then wack it with a hammer, the relpacement price will let you know how hard to hit it." -- t_oad01

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal