2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98638 - 05/01/06 07:27 AM 2" or 3" Body Lift for 35" (or 36") Tires?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Hey guys.
I have the rest of my truck setup finally;
3" SLR suspension Lift, SLR steering system, Lockers, Calmini T-case gears, Full armour, sliders, ARB, KMA, etc...

I'll be ordering a Body lift soon and I was wondering which one I should get.

I know that the 2" lift is much easier of an install. But more trimming is involved to get the 35" (or 36") tires to fit "properly". But a lower Center of Gravity with the 2" BL as a result.
The 3" is more money, takes longer to install, but will clear larger tires easier with less trimming.
I dont mind getting the sawzall or angle grinder out to get the tires to fit without rubbing.
If I go with the 35's, they will be on my 16"x8" rims with a 5" Backspacing..
If I go with the 36's they will be on my Pathy 6 spoke rims, 15"x7".

A cradle or something will be built to relocate my ARB. And larger brackets will be used for the rear tire carrier relocation.
Sliders will probably stay where they are, I might actually use them as a step. Or I'll switch sides and install them upside down to compensate a bit.
EOE sliders are capable of doing that as I read on this board. wink

I will also (hopefully) be getting a partial exo installed when the front bumper gets relocated. I'm just getting the bars that will connect ARB to the sliders, and the rear bumper to the sliders for now..

All of those with Body Lifts please share your opinion, Tire size and 2" or 3" BL?

Do I have to do anything with my Skid row skidplates to get them to fit properly?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all!

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#98639 - 05/01/06 08:11 AM Re: 2" or 3" Body Lift for 35" (or 36") Tires?
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
Ken,

I have the 2" lift and I run 34" tires. To me that is all I need. My X to doesn't seem like it would have enough power to push around anything bigger. I've also chewed up my front diff. I'm sure the bigger, heavier tires were partially to blame.

Yeah the EOE sliders are great. All I did was switch sides and they tuck up nice and snug.

It didn't effect my Skid Row plates at all. If I had to do it again, I would still go with the 2" lift.

#98640 - 05/01/06 08:22 AM Re: 2" or 3" Body Lift for 35" (or 36") Tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do believe that if you go to 35" tires you will need the 3" BL. You might be able to get by with a 2" but I wouldn't do it, simply because I'd have to cut off more than I would like to cut off. Why butcher the truck if you can spend a little more time and get it done nicely?

Yes, you point is valid about the center of gravity, however I don't belive that it's too significat. First, it's only a BL (meaning the engine, tranny, everything else stays in place...well, I'm sure you know), second, it's only an inch difference -- not so drasic.

I'd definitely do 3" for 35's.

#98641 - 05/01/06 08:23 AM Re: 2" or 3" Body Lift for 35" (or 36") Tires?
01SalsaXterra Offline

Thanks for the response Dana.
If I remember correctly, you are running the 34"x10.5" LTB's right? How have they been?
If I trim a bit more I could probably fit them without a body lift altogether. Thats an interesting idea.

Power offroad hasnt really been a problem. I've been running 33's for a decent amount of time now (285-75r16 on 16"x8" rim) and have had no lack of power issues.

I have the Calmini t-case gear set installed and a Centerforce DF clutch.
And when my motor dies, it will be swapped out for a S/C 3.3 Xterra engine.
I figured if I was going to go through the headache of a body lift, then I was going to at least put on a set of 35's, maybe Q78's like Pika.

Also.. Check your PM's when you get a chance.

Thanks!

I got "IT" from ebay.

#98642 - 05/01/06 10:07 AM Re: 2" or 3" Body Lift for 35" (or 36") Tires?
Anonymous
Unregistered

NorthBayRP was running BFG MT 35's with a 3"SL+3"BL and did alot of trimming. He endeded up SASing it.

See: Combining a BL & Susp lift

#98643 - 05/01/06 10:28 AM Re: 2" or 3" Body Lift for 35" (or 36") Tires?
01SalsaXterra Offline

thanks for the link. I know it'll be a lot of trimming and that's what I'm expecting. I already trimmed a bit to get 33's (on 5"BS rims) on my truck with just a 3" suspension lift.
I'm looking for more now.

I got "IT" from ebay.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal