2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98946 - 10/11/04 08:55 PM "Grip" RUD 4x4 Chains
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to play around in some deeper snow this winter and am considering the Grip 4x4 chains for my X.

The stock BFG long trails do fine for most Colorado road conditions, even with the deeper snow and ice we get at my elevation (8600 feet).

I want to head up higher and play on my favorite dirt roads and jeep trails this winter. I tried it last year and got stuck pretty quick in the deeper drifts and icy bases.

Anyone have experience with RUD Grip 4x4 chains on their X?

The owner’s manual states that chains should only be used on the rear. I have heard that you should run them on all four wheels. Thoughts?

I searched for chain topics and found no good links. Some links were not available.

Thanks

#98947 - 10/11/04 09:32 PM Re: "Grip" RUD 4x4 Chains
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some advice would be, get rid of the Long Trails, if you want to play outside the lines.

If you run chains, then all four corners will need them. No need in going anywhere, if you can't steer.

Also, instead of chains, have you looked at cables? They're easier on the tires, and less impactfull on Nature and the trails. Also, they won't hurt the road as much as a chain does (if you happen to run on the street for any portion of the trip).

Where in CO are you at?

#98948 - 11/11/04 02:19 PM Re: "Grip" RUD 4x4 Chains
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the response. Any recommendations for cables?

As far as tires, I have BFG AT's on my Durango. The AT's are much better than the long trails, but still not good enough on the trails for climbing/descending in the deeper drifts.

I live a bit west of Woodland Park.

#98949 - 11/11/04 03:38 PM Re: "Grip" RUD 4x4 Chains
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RedDog:
Thanks for the response. Any recommendations for cables?

As far as tires, I have BFG AT's on my Durango. The AT's are much better than the long trails, but still not good enough on the trails for climbing/descending in the deeper drifts.

I live a bit west of Woodland Park.
I've heard good things about the grip chains, If you're running 31's or smaller, they shouldn't rub. If you need cables, these are supposedly pretty good:

SCC Traction

Also, mud terrains are far superior for wheeling in the deep snow. I sometimes do some winter wheeling in your neck of the woods. As a matter of fact, we wheeled in Tarryall just last week.

China Wall

Welcome to XOC.

See you on the trails.......

#98950 - 12/11/04 01:36 PM Re: "Grip" RUD 4x4 Chains
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good info, thanks. I went ahead and ordered the chains from tirechain.com.

It sounds like the Muds or AT's aired way down should work well.

I am going to compare the Durango with AT's aired down to ~14 versus the X with the chains. My son and I can switch between the vehicles for comparison when we get into the more difficult sections.

Cool....another excuse for a father-son outing!

#98951 - 12/11/04 02:46 PM Re: "Grip" RUD 4x4 Chains
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome!!

How much $$$ did the chains set ya back?

Where are you planning on testing them out?

There's a cool outing this weekend you may want to check out:

www.rmxc.net

#98952 - 12/11/04 10:16 PM Re: "Grip" RUD 4x4 Chains
Anonymous
Unregistered

The chains were $214 with shipping. I got the class "S" chains for better clearance.

Grip Chains

Now we just have to wait for the snow. A good test run is Mt. Herman road from Monument to Woodland Park. Typically good drifts and ice around Jan./Feb., particularly in the shaded sections. Nothing really extreme, but decent climbs, ice, and off camber sections, it will be a good test when the snow gets deep. I tried it last year “stock” and only made it halfway before an off camber deep section put me off the trail. I lost steering on a climb and drifted off the trail.

I think low pressure AT’s could have made it, but then I would be giving up clearance if I could not “float” on top. The drifts were over a foot deep and not even close to powder. It was more like hard pack, slush, then ice from deeper snow that had melted down. So much depends on the snow conditions.

Thanks for the local club link; I am sure we will be meeting on the trails soon.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal