shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98953 - 06/12/06 10:46 AM 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the speed limits for 4H and 4L on a 2nd gen are 62.5mph, and 12mph, respectively. What would be the consequences of driving above those limits, and why?

#98954 - 06/12/06 10:50 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Congratulations, you've just hit on one of the "surefire ways to get flamed on XOC" topics (how fast can I go in 4hi... queue "slow down a-hole" comments) wink

The only real limiting factor in 4 low is keeping the RPMs in check... 12mph seems awfully low, though - in the gen 1 it is more like 25 or 30mph (with stock tcase gears).

In 4 high.... I dunno. All the front end stuff is spinning - and it may not be able to handle spinning that fast.... or maybe it isn't balanced that well and may start vibrating at higher speeds.

#98955 - 06/12/06 04:19 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

you your able to do 45mph+... there is no need to be in 4WD....

#98956 - 06/12/06 04:23 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by smthrde:
I'd agree with that, sure.

Yet, there are other scenarios when that may not apply. For example fast sand driving. This may not be the case...

#98957 - 06/12/06 05:09 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I just realized that I misspelled 'cue'.... I've been programming too much lately [Laughing]

#98958 - 06/12/06 05:24 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy that one. I drive in 4wd @ 65-70 on my way to work when there's enough snow on the highway...why? Because I can safely drive that fast and occasionally you need to have all four wheels powered...like changing lanes.

#98959 - 06/12/06 05:41 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b]you your able to do 45mph+... there is no need to be in 4WD....
Sorry, I don't buy that one. I drive in 4wd @ 65-70 on my way to work when there's enough snow on the highway...why? Because I can safely drive that fast and occasionally you need to have all four wheels powered...like changing lanes.[/b]
Me either. When I was driving back from SEMA, Vegas to Barstow offroad, I was in the 60-70mph range for long periods of time. Then there were the dry lakebeds. laugh

#98960 - 06/12/06 05:42 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy that one. I drive in 4wd @ 65-70 on my way to work when there's enough snow on the highway...why? Because I can safely drive that fast and occasionally you need to have all four wheels powered...like changing lanes.[/b]
You can drive safely around 65 on snow? Remind me to stay off the highway's in CO when you're on the way to work....

eek

#98961 - 06/12/06 05:45 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
You can drive safely around 65 on snow? Remind me to stay off the highway's in CO when you're on the way to work....

eek [/b]
He won't stop safely that's for damn sure. See you in the DITCH!

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#98962 - 06/12/06 07:27 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

eek [/b]
He won't stop safely that's for damn sure. See you in the DITCH!
Wow...you two are special. If it's really slick, I drive slow...the 4wd at 65-70 is for the days when I could need it and not have time to shift...I forgot...this is XOC mental levels I have to spell everything out in detail [Freak]

#98963 - 06/12/06 07:44 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
how do you drive 65 - 70 on the highway SAFELY on the snow???? the X is like a brick as is, handling wise.. but put it on snow and its even worse at high speeds... i dont want to start a pissing contest but that isnt very safe at all....

#98964 - 06/12/06 08:16 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[Wow...you two are special. If it's really slick, I drive slow...the 4wd at 65-70 is for the days when I could need it and not have time to shift...I forgot...this is XOC mental levels I have to spell everything out in detail [Freak]
What would you consider slick? IMHO, it's snow and its slick. Do you have a snow slickness scale in the back?

might want to look into your own mental level.... [Finger]

#98965 - 06/12/06 08:31 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the 2ndGen 4HI is 100KmPH and 4LO is 50KmPH.

#98966 - 06/12/06 08:34 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use 4wd all the time on snowy / slick highways and I regularly use it for passing at 130-140km/h with no issues. Seems like there are a ton of guys on here that follow the manual like it's the bible or something. If you haven't lived in a snowy area then you won't get it people don't drive 30mph just because it's slick out.

#98967 - 06/12/06 08:42 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey I'm right there with Ty. I'm that guy in the fast lane you swear at as I fly by you! I bet you lean foward over the wheel on those days, right? With your flashers on? I rest my case!

#98968 - 06/12/06 09:09 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love knowing how to drive in inclement conditions...lived in Canada for 8+ years, learned to drive there...I can drive on snow laugh

No pissing contest here, but ya'll need to chill out. I don't drive like a maniac...I do, however, drive like Dave so stay the HELL out of my fast lane with your flashers on! laugh

#98969 - 06/12/06 09:28 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I love knowing how to drive in inclement conditions...lived in Canada for 8+ years, learned to drive there...I can drive on snow laugh

No pissing contest here, but ya'll need to chill out. I don't drive like a maniac...I do, however, drive like Dave so stay the HELL out of my fast lane with your flashers on! laugh
I'm chilled but answer this honestly....

How many times have you ditched? Spun? crapped your pants?

I'm sure the roads are different where you are.
In the city, theres usually salt/ice/water/slush under the snow making it worse. Just got our first snow for the year here a week ago. Drove to work in the middle of it and 4wd was a must and braking was shite. No more than 30 the whole way to work.

#98970 - 06/12/06 09:36 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to agree there is a huge difference between snow and ice. And especially the patchy stuff we get here. Even I have taken mine up to about 65 mph if conditions are not that bad.

#98971 - 06/12/06 09:50 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I love knowing how to drive in inclement conditions...lived in Canada for 8+ years, learned to drive there...I can drive on snow laugh

I'm chilled but answer this honestly....

How many times have you ditched? Spun? crapped your pants?

I'm sure the roads are different where you are.
In the city, theres usually salt/ice/water/slush under the snow making it worse. Just got our first snow for the year here a week ago. Drove to work in the middle of it and 4wd was a must and braking was shite. No more than 30 the whole way to work.[/b]
Honestly? Not once have I crapped my pants, ditched my truck, or spun it. Unless I was messing around in a parking lot and trying to go past the limits. I drive carefully on ice, but the vast majority of the snow we get here, trust me when I say I'm fine driving the way I do.

The only time I've ditched a vehicle was I had my VW GTI 1.8T and I was young and dumb, trying to power slide around a gravel circle and I misjudged how quickly I could do it.

ETA: Denver is a city...the only time it gets bad is when the days are just above freezing and sunny and then it drops to almost zero that night, then it's fun.

#98972 - 06/12/06 11:04 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I drive about 65 or so when there is snow on the ground. I have the same conditions you do BPC. I am not far from you just a little south. The snow we had last week had me slow to 55 only because of the white out conditions. The only time I ditched or spun a truck was my Taco with the first icey day we had and I was not used to the rear wheel drive at the time.

#98973 - 07/12/06 05:41 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guess I'm just overly causious. Stems from an accident I had in the rain when I was about 18.

I'll be the one in the right or middle lane taking it easy [Wave]

#98974 - 07/12/06 07:10 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Guess I'm just overly causious. Stems from an accident I had in the rain when I was about 18.

See, I didn't have all the information! That'll do it! Bummer bout an accident that young, but the effect is understandable [Wave]

#98975 - 07/12/06 07:46 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was messin around on the ice/snow 2 winters ago and was fish tailin and lost it in a snow covered rocky bank(on the side of the road) thats how i lost my brush guard, turn signal, bug shield, etc. i have driven as fast as 50 on the interstate with snow and slush down. 4hi of course. gota keep up with the tractor trailers so you dont get splashed. i have slid through intersections, and spun around on snow, but that was when i had stock tires. just air down some and take it easy.

#98976 - 07/12/06 08:57 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Other than the fact that in 2WD the back end can get squirrelly easy, and 4WD improves the handling. A couple of years ago I had to drive home from the Adirondaks in the middle of a blizzard, and when I got to NJ I learned they had declared a state of emergency and private vehicles were not supposed to be on the road. 40 to 45 mph on the NY thruway was safe and manageable in 4WD, but with the light back end I would never have gone that fast in 2WD. Your mileage may vary.

k_enn

#98977 - 07/12/06 09:14 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's the thing, guys: you are all getting pissy about this shit.

1. Snow covered roads in CO may be different than roads here. If it's straight medium-packed snow then you can safely drive faster. Here, however, you don't see much of that.

This is what people do here: Dump shitloads of snow piles from the driveway onto the road, creating a snow pile that can spin you outa control if you hit it with one side only (as it usually happens). The pile slows down one side of the vehicle but the other keeps going - you spin.

We don't get much hardpack here. It's either fresh powder or plain slush. You can't safely drive in either at even 50 mph. You get pulled into someone's tracks in half powder - half slush and it can easily spin you out.

The last snow storm we had here it was safe enough to drive around 40 on open roads. Slushy highway was not more than 50.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal