2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98978 - 07/12/06 12:34 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow thanks for totally hijacking my thread. Can't a guy just be curious about something?

I meant, 62.5 in High, and 12 in Low w/the locker on. Forgot to add that part. I think it's 35 in 4Low without the locker on.

So, tell me again, why can't the X go faster than that? What damage could be done?

And for the record, I would never drive 75mph in the snow - that's a death wish. But I'd easily drive 80 in the rain.

#98979 - 07/12/06 01:16 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would even do 70 in a foot of snow back and forth from the bridge to Syracuse, regularly, in my old Saab. Why? Becuase I know how to drive in snow. Lake effect is also different than "slick" snow. It's crunchy!

#98980 - 07/12/06 01:23 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

It does not matter if you can drive in snow or not, a lot of that is some comfort level.. My question is can you safely stop from 65 MPH in the snow when the ass-munch in front of you hits the breaks or get swirly and spins out? 4wd or AWD is great but it dont help you stop any better. I have seen that a bunch coming off of Mt Hood here in Oregon.

#98981 - 07/12/06 01:26 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by X_Ego Jr.:
Wow thanks for totally hijacking my thread. Can't a guy just be curious about something?
Told ya wink

Seriously, though - unless you start to get a bad vibration or something I don't see any reason that it would hurt to use 4WD all the way up to the maximum speed of the truck (preferably while running over small children - they smooth out the ride wink )

#98982 - 07/12/06 02:28 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm gunna have to agree with Alpine on this one. I've done about 55 - 60 in the snow out here; driving and turning are two different things. Knowing where Alpine drives, there ain't a lot of turns to be made, there are huge sections of 285 that are dead on straight. Even that speed doesn't pose too much risk when there is nothing but open fields on each side - no trees, no other cars, nothing to wrech yourself on. Sliding off a road isn't what kills you, it is the tree you run into.

Snow is very different in different temps, and different packs. Unpacked cold snow has a lot of traction, packed warm snow is slick, cold snow on warm roads = bad. Nothing is good on ice, except maybe those big trucks up in the Yukon hauling over rivers and lakes cause it is the only time of year they can (going about normal highway speeds btw).

Tires and wheelbase play a big factor. My daily driver is a Wrangler Unlimited. The other day coming to work I was putting along at 30ish on a cold snow packed road, when a short wheelbase Wrangler spun out in front of me. Nearly the same rig (different wheelbase), same tires, same speed, different results.

Sorry to continue the hijack, but Alpine's right, imo.

#98983 - 07/12/06 08:40 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=003197

nuf said...

#98984 - 08/12/06 05:07 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can mod your locker to run @ higher than 12 MPG and use it in 2wd/4wd hi too...Xterraracer, if I remember correctly, runs his @ 60-70 mph over some very rough terrain laugh

#98985 - 08/12/06 05:09 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=003197

nuf said...
There's a lot to be said for keeping a good distance between you and the person in front of you, so you don't have to hit the brakes every time the idiot in front of you barely touches the brake petal...the way I slow down on snow/ice is I run with the OD off shift into 2nd and 1st if necessary, with the breaks thrown in for good measure. So I don't break my shit.

Edited to fix the spelling of brakes for Kaiser spelling nazi [Finger]

#98986 - 08/12/06 07:41 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b] http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=003197

nuf said...
There's a lot to be said for keeping a good distance between you and the person in front of you, so you don't have to hit the breaks every time the idiot in front of you barely touches the break petal...the way I slow down on snow/ice is I run with the OD off shift into 2nd and 1st if necessary, with the breaks thrown in for good measure.[/b]
I don't know what these 'breaks' are that you're talking about - but they should design them better so that they aren't always breaking.

Hmmm... maybe you were talking about the BRAKES... but nah... How could anyone make that kind of obvious mistake several times in one post? wink :p

#98987 - 08/12/06 12:08 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
[b]
Quote:
[b] http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=003197

nuf said...
There's a lot to be said for keeping a good distance between you and the person in front of you, so you don't have to hit the breaks every time the idiot in front of you barely touches the break petal...the way I slow down on snow/ice is I run with the OD off shift into 2nd and 1st if necessary, with the breaks thrown in for good measure.[/b]
I don't know what these 'breaks' are that you're talking about - but they should design them better so that they aren't always breaking.

Hmmm... maybe you were talking about the BRAKES... but nah... How could anyone make that kind of obvious mistake several times in one post? wink :p [/b]
[Finger] I was thinking about my TJM front bumper a lot after my frozen fun yesterday wink

#98988 - 08/12/06 12:33 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Colorado snow is usually dry and grippy. Driving in a straight line is easy. Its changing speed or direction that makes it tricky. If the road is open and the snow is nicely packed you can easily do 60.

If there's traffic, slush, ice or the need to change direction quickly, then you drive slower.

#98989 - 08/12/06 04:34 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I lived in the Springs for 8 long years and does anyone here wonder why the first vehicles upside down in the ditch are 4x4's??? Because you idiots think you can drive the posted limit (or close to it) in bad weather. Just because the stretch of road you might be on at one moment isnt bad doesnt mean black ice or slick spot wont happen. Plus im not sure its changed much since i lived there but CDOT does a pretty shitty job of clearing the roads....granted the idiots of CO wont vote to raise their taxes to hire more drivers and buy more trucks but we have a 4x4 so fuck it huh!!!!! Driving 60 plus on snowy roads.....write me into your insurance policies...i need the $$$$

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#98990 - 09/12/06 02:27 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most times the first vehicles in the ditch ARE 4X4's because people buy them, but don't know how to DRIVE them. They "Ease up on the gas and turn into the skid..pump the brakes..and so on" INSTEAD of hitting the gas to give the wheels power. They don't keep their hubs locked in the winter and so can't use their 4 WD system in an emergency situation. It can't help you unless you use it. Just my $0.02

#98991 - 09/12/06 07:38 AM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Actually the proper method for skid recovery is very very simple. Look where you want to go and steer in that direction using a hand to hand feed method using NO BRAKES and steady on the gas.

Let me explain......

Traction can not be measured like Bhp or Torque. Traction is a relationship between the road surface and your tires. Lets say perfect dry roads and good tires are a fictional 100 units of "traction." Adeversely affect the road and that number will drop.

There are only three dynamic commands a car can perform. Acceleration, deceleration, and steering. All three of those functions will use the cars suspension to shift the weight dynamically, front, rear, left and right. If you exceed your "traction" then you will lose control of the vehicle. Stay within your limits and you will be fine. This is something that comes from training and experience and not sensor in a car will help with that. TCS, ESP, etc are all nice to have but if you dont understand basic car dynamics and how to use them you will still find yourself in a ditch.

Now back to the driving part. While in a skid the driver must maintain focus on the solution to the problem. The driver will naturally steer the care into that direction. You are using maximum "traction" for steering the car. Add throttle or decrease it and the risk of losing control increases. Granted there are situations where recovery is not possible and it is not because the roads were slick or bad weather but because someone thought they could go fast in bad weather. 4x4 does not help you at all once you start to lose the vehicle, it is actually a liability as most people who buy them dont know how to use them. A 4x4 only allows you to accelerate from a stop without losing grip on the road in a faster manner and does nothing for deceleration. A car with a new set of Arctic Alpines will stop much faster than my lifted X with BFG's.

So in summary just please slow down when the weather is bad. There is no meeting, event, or latte that is worth my familes life so you can save a few minutes.

If you want to know where I got the information above just PM me and I would be happy to refer you to a great driving school where you can learn the techniques described above that may just change your attitude and save your life.

Thanks.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#98992 - 16/12/06 02:58 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I easily go 75mph to pass 18 wheelers with no problem on snow. The only time I would recommend to drive slower would be when the roads are snow covered and the ground is not frozen underneath. Beside that snow pack won't stop you from go the speed you want to go unless traffic is too heavy.

#98993 - 13/01/07 06:18 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm originally from Chicago, a yankee. Of course winter there is different than in the Atlanta metro area where I now live (35 years). When we have snows here, yes sometimes big snows with ice, the yankees drive 50+ MPH as they would up North. The Yankees proudly boast "I know how to drive in the snow you don't, ha!".

Well, that just doesn't fly here. We sadly shake our heads, here they end up in the ditch, flip, rear ending others, crash into dividers and the like. Their ego got the best of them causing them to loose their butts. Why? We have hills also some of the snow melts during the day then at night it will refreeze. What you now have is super slick areas, black ice. On hills it doesn't matter if your driving a tank you're going to slide. Again the ego induced yankee gets on the road driving as they did up North. Oh-well it's all over but the shouting.

Yep you may be able to drive fast but you won't be able to slow down faster than any other vehicle. This is because our Xterra are over 4,000 pounds and we have inertia on our side. So brag if you will about the high speed you drive in the snow. Just remember the story about the guy that jumped off the building: as he was falling people called to him asking "are you okay", "yes" he replied "but I haven't hit the ground yet". Driving fast on snow your crash is coming, I pray you don't take anyone with you.

#98994 - 13/01/07 07:25 PM Re: 4WD Speed Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, first, I learned to drive in Toronto, so I am VERY...did you get that? VERY...familiar with black ice. I understand that driving on ice regardless of 4 wheel drive, AWD, or 2 wheel drive, you can't stop...I get that, I really do (I also ice race on weekends here in CO). I was talking about driving on snow, snow (here anyway, can't speak for Atlanta...my condolences by the way) actually gives me traction on the roads. If I'm driving in snow in another area of the country (don't usually have occasion to do that but it happens) then I drive much more cautiously, as conditions dictate.
We've had almost a month of snow, here, and even the people that have moved here from warmer climates have figured out that you can drive somewhat normally on snow and not have your vehicle spontaneously combust.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal