shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99246 - 21/03/01 09:18 AM Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
Al_in_NY Offline

Loc: western NY
I've been driving 4x4 trucks for over ten years now, mainly to make my western NY winters worry free. Several times I've had a need to drive over a 4"-6" cement curb. I've done that by driving extremely slowly up to the curb, put it in 4-wheel, then crawl slowly over the curb until all four tires have passed it, then back to 2-wheel. No problems. Lately I've heard that driving over curbs is bad for tires and can damage them. However, I've read many off-road stories about climbing over rocks, which sounds as bad as the curbs. Some questions:

Assuming the stock tires are all season like the General Grabbers, is it a bad idea to drive over 4"-6" cement curbs? If not, is there a "good way" to do it? I assumed that slowly crawling over the curb in 4-wheel was the best way. Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Thanks!

Al

#99247 - 21/03/01 09:27 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I have done this from time to time and I do it like you described. It comes in hand when want to leave a parking lot and not wait in line. I have not noticed any damage to my tires or my X.

------------------
There are only three sports-Mountain climbing, bullfighting, and motor racing-all the others being games. --Ernest "Papa" Hemingway

#99248 - 21/03/01 09:29 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
It would be damaging to drive over the curb at normal driving speed. Like cutting a corner too close.
Hence, now that winter is leaving we are covered up in potholes, which can cause major damage.

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages

#99249 - 21/03/01 10:06 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
No problem, if you crawl over it you'll be fine, just don't smack it at anything over a walking pace.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99250 - 21/03/01 10:22 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
I personally don't have problems with curbs in 2wd.

------------------
:wq!
wqbang@southeastxterraclub.org

#99251 - 21/03/01 05:49 PM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
Bayou Boy Offline

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I don't put mine in 4wd unless it's a really tall curb and the wheels start to spin.

------------------

#99252 - 21/03/01 11:03 PM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Are you guys serious? Is this that urban 4-wheel driving I've heard about?

Hey look honey, it's a median! I better throw it into 4wd-Lo to make it into the turn lane!

You can't do that sh*t in a honda. Whoohoo!

------------------
Join the Xterra Offroad Webring

2000 Aztec Red 4x4 V-6 XE-3Pak
www.xterra4x4.com

#99253 - 22/03/01 06:28 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
YellowXXXterra Offline

Loc: massapequa, NY USA
Not that i ever get lost or anything like that but......I've heard that when OTHER people do, they get frustrated and make a beeline toward their destination at the expense of whatever is in their way. I heard that these people approach curbs on a slight angle so as to make the "climb" less jarring. This can be easily done in 2WD.

------------------
If there were no tomorrow.......how hard would you play today?

#99254 - 22/03/01 08:01 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
"So there I was, doing some off-roading on my neighbors lawn... When this mailbox got stuck under my fender."

Heheh. I've done my share of urban off-roading. Not in the Xterra yet, which is the alarming part. ;>

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#99255 - 22/03/01 09:31 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
Al_in_NY Offline

I don't drive over curbs for fun, only when there is a need. The last time I "needed" to drive over a curb was with my Dakota 4x4. I was on my way to my hockey game and was running a little late. I came to a 4-way intersection with a long curved right hand turn lane. The turn lane was separated from the 4-way by a concrete median. I got into the turn lane behind about 3 other cars, and 4 more cars filled in behind me. Then the lead car put on his flashers and just sat there! No one could get around him due to the median, and the shoulder was a steep drop off. People couldn't back up due to traffic. I had to get to my game in time to suit up! I drove up on top of the median, drove across it, then made a right turn on to the main road. If I didn't have to get somewhere I would have helped get that car out of the way, but I didn't have time.

#99256 - 22/03/01 10:48 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
funny sight one day. was driving down the road, some of the medians are pretty tall, covered w/ cemented down rocks. i guess, this little old lady decided her lincoln continental was a 4x4. her car was stradling the median, all 4 wheels hanging, resting on its engine on the cemented rocks. the tow truck guy didn't know how to get it off the median, he couldn't push it off by himself. so, he was standing there scratching his head.

------------------

#99257 - 22/03/01 05:37 PM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by gx_ca:

funny sight one day. was driving down the road, some of the medians are pretty tall, covered w/ cemented down rocks. i guess, this little old lady decided her lincoln continental was a 4x4. her car was stradling the median, all 4 wheels hanging, resting on its engine on the cemented rocks. the tow truck guy didn't know how to get it off the median, he couldn't push it off by himself. so, he was standing there scratching his head.

winch time baby!!

#99258 - 23/03/01 06:30 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
BlackKnightX Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Why do you need 4 wheel drive for that?

I go up curbs all the time when traffic is thick to get up to a turning lane.

------------------
Super Black
00 XE V-6 4x2

#99259 - 23/03/01 09:24 AM Re: Driving over curbs bad for stock tires?
Al_in_NY Offline

Well maybe I didn't need 4-wheel, but it was dark and all I could tell was that the median was higher than your run of the mill sidewalk curb. I thought 4-wheel would be better to crawl up and over the curb, rather than 2-wheel which would be pushing the front tires over it. It just seemed better for the front tires. From the posts in this thread I gather I could have gotten over the median in 2-wheel too.

------------------
Al

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal