shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99377 - 23/11/03 09:23 PM Gages
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, maybe this is more a "gee wiz" type gage question but years ago I remember going to an Auto show and sitting in a Mitsubishi 4x4 (not sure what model... I was young) and it had an optional factory gage pack on top of the center dash. It included an Altitude gage, an Incline/Decline Tilt Gage, and a Side/Side Tilt gage. The way it was intigrated into the dash was great. The buble tilt gages were large and easily readable at a glance. I don't remember much about the Altitude gage. I've never seen anything like it sense then on a factory setup. I'm just getting into the 4x4 world so I'm still exploring this great hobby... is there anything like this out there after market? Does anyone know what I'm talking about (if so, do you know which Mitsu. it was on?). If it were accurate, do you think it would be useful or just a "gee wiz" gage?

#99378 - 23/11/03 09:25 PM Re: Gages
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yeah, when I say years ago... this was back in the mid 80's (I think). I don't really remember how old I was at the time (I'm 27 now) so I'm just guessing it was in the 80s.

#99379 - 23/11/03 09:26 PM Re: Gages
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Yosho:
Ok, maybe this is more a "gee wiz" type gage question but years ago I remember going to an Auto show and sitting in a Mitsubishi 4x4 (not sure what model... I was young) and it had an optional factory gage pack on top of the center dash. It included an Altitude gage, an Incline/Decline Tilt Gage, and a Side/Side Tilt gage. The way it was intigrated into the dash was great. The buble tilt gages were large and easily readable at a glance. I don't remember much about the Altitude gage. I've never seen anything like it sense then on a factory setup. I'm just getting into the 4x4 world so I'm still exploring this great hobby... is there anything like this out there after market? Does anyone know what I'm talking about (if so, do you know which Mitsu. it was on?). If it were accurate, do you think it would be useful or just a "gee wiz" gage?
I have seen this as well, but only on a Mitsu

#99380 - 23/11/03 09:32 PM Re: Gages
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I've seen one on a Pajero when I was in Asia.

#99381 - 23/11/03 09:56 PM Re: Gages
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, Mitsubishi Monteros had it. Try for like '86 thru '92 or soemthing and you should be able to find one.

#99382 - 23/11/03 10:23 PM Re: Gages
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I only learned some Mitsus had them a few months ago when I found one in a junkyard. I've known for a few years now that many Toyotas in the 80's had them. Trucks, early 4Runners, and even some Tercel 4WD Wagons had them.
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Clinometer.shtml

There is a "similar" unit, without the questionable altimeter, available:
http://www.dvdonlineshopping.com/Truckparts/Clinometer.html
It is kinda cheesy, not particularly accurate, and is kinda clunky to install.

I prefer the Lev-o-gage myself. Much more accurate and useful, low-profile, simple to mount, just stick it on the dash someplace. Cheap too, under $10.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99383 - 23/11/03 10:46 PM Re: Gages
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
1984-88 4Runners had them as an option. A friend of mine compared the altimeter to the one he used in his hot air ballon, and it was very accurate.

If you can find one in a junk yard, pick it up.

#99384 - 23/11/03 11:18 PM Re: Gages
n2fireresq Offline

Loc: Missouri
i cant recall where i saw it but someone had some gauges on the A piller, drivers side. i have seen several on cars and asked what you could put in as the gauges. the guy told me anything that will fit. could be a little ricey but also could be helpful for the right things imo

#99385 - 24/11/03 04:51 AM Re: Gages
ATFrontier Offline

Loc: Loganville,Georgia

#99386 - 24/11/03 06:34 AM Re: Gages
OffroadX Offline

Ian has/had one of the Lev-o-gages stuck at the top of his B-pillar. Seems like a bit better place than where I mounted my pitch-indicating one, but mine does alright.

I pulled one of those Toyota units out of a 4Runner about 3 years ago for $20 with plans of mounting it in my X, but decided not to, there just wasn't a suitable place to mount it. The dash just isn't contoured properly to mount it in the center, and the passenger airbag makes the only obvious place a no-go.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99387 - 24/11/03 09:37 AM Re: Gages
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
The side/side Lev-o-gage fits nicely at the bottom of the tachometer. And the pitch one on the passenger side B pillar (at the top).

#99388 - 24/11/03 01:25 PM Re: Gages
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brent, where did you get you lev-o-guage? Local or internet?

#99389 - 25/11/03 08:54 AM Re: Gages
OffroadX Offline

Got mine at 4x4connection.com back when their shop was in Dulles and I worked in the area. They've since moved out to Winchester. You can order them from their site for $10:
http://store.yahoo.com/cruiserconnection/levogage.html
Shipping is $7.61 though frown

Brent

#99390 - 25/11/03 11:39 AM Re: Gages
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Has anyone found any that go out to 60 degrees or higher?

#99391 - 25/11/03 12:28 PM Re: Gages
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
Has anyone found any that go out to 60 degrees or higher?
Say What? Do you have "Earth" magnets on your tires to stay put at those angles smile

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#99392 - 25/11/03 01:52 PM Re: Gages
OffroadX Offline

You could get 60 degree pitch, but not roll.
The jumbo Lev-o-gage goes to 50 degrees, that's as far as I've seen.

Brent

#99393 - 26/11/03 08:11 PM Re: Gages
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I never thought I'd get such great replies. Thank you for all the links guys. I was thinking about trying to adapt something like the Mitsu/Toyo gage pack but after seeing how easy it would be to add the Lev-O-Gage (thanks OffroadX)I think I'll just go with that once I get my X.

#99394 - 26/11/03 10:21 PM Re: Gages
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
here is a pic of my inclinometer also...too bad it has a jeep on it though.
http://www.msnusers.com/southernxterra/mods.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=171

#99395 - 27/11/03 01:08 AM Re: Gages
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, too bad about the Jeep... but it looks like it would be easily visible. Especially when lit like that at night. Nice pic. Any day time pics?

#99396 - 27/11/03 05:31 AM Re: Gages
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
yeah here is a daytime pic. it is pretty cool and highly visible mounted with glue tabs and put it behind the airbag on pass. side so the worst that could happen is it would go through the windshield in an accident. laugh
http://www.msnusers.com/southernxterra/mods.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=170

#99397 - 01/12/03 12:52 PM Re: Gages
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
Just put some "steel horse" gauges in this weekend, so far I'm thinking they're more "gee-Whiz" than useful. I'm having trouble calibrating them to work with the unit angled down slightly( its mounted to the maplight console overhead). The instructions were next to useless, but they're in now and slightly entertaining.
MV

#99398 - 01/12/03 01:10 PM Re: Gages
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
[b]Has anyone found any that go out to 60 degrees or higher?
Say What? Do you have "Earth" magnets on your tires to stay put at those angles smile [/b]
I have an offroad park near me that has a few hills that max out my pitch gage, +/-45. I'd like to see how steep they really are, and when I flip my truck I'd like to know where the limit of my Xterra really was.

I have a pitch Lev-o-gage on the passenger A-piller just above the dash. It's easier to check than looking over my shoulder or down under the dash.

#99399 - 01/12/03 07:42 PM Re: Gages
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can they be screwed in? Over the years, I've found NO adhesive is safe from an Arizona summer or two.. Everything starts sliding around eventually and your left with a sticky spot something used to be.. :rolleyes:

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal