2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99484 - 07/07/03 08:10 AM clicking??
X2K Offline

Loc: 41.556895 N, 72.665225 W
I must start with, I have no idea if this is acutally a problem. I have been offroading numerous times. I was out yesterday and comming up a fairly large rock when i was losing traction in the front, now i know that when you lose traction in the front it catches and sometimes causes you to bounce(which isnt good) so i apply the brake and try again, sometimes tapping the brake lightly to fool the differential to think that one side is getting traction, but the problem that i heard a few times was a loud clicking from the front which sounded like the front diff, just wondering what it may be. Sorry if i rambled here a bit much.
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=186476

#99485 - 08/07/03 04:47 AM Re: clicking??
conker69 Offline

The only clicking sound I have heard from the front end were the hubs trying to lock (I shifted into 4H on a steep hill). If you bounced maybe your hubs unlocked and when moving forward again with pressure/tension on the front drive components, they tried to lock (clicking sound). More details would help.

#99486 - 08/07/03 11:48 AM Re: clicking??
X2K Offline

Loc: 41.556895 N, 72.665225 W
well i was in 4Lo, going up somthing about 3 feet high. Couldnt really get a running start at it because every time i backed up I was going over a large rock. I think that possible the noise was my U-Joints because i had the wheel turned a bit, and thats when they are the weakest. oh yeah, IFS sucks
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=186476

#99487 - 08/07/03 04:39 PM Re: clicking??
TrialsX Offline

Loc: Florida
If it was a "clicking" sound, it's probably your hubs. I've had mine make noise in situations like that. Just keep an eye on them as lots of wheelers have been known to blow the stock hubs, especially with larger tires.

However, if was a very loud "clanking" sound, that's your front diff slipping and eating itself. The two sounds are orders of magnitude different in noise level. So if it's a clicking, I wouldn't worry too much, but if its a really loud clanking, and the hairs on your neck stand up, then you might have some major probs on the way.

#99488 - 09/07/03 08:38 AM Re: clicking??
MichaelShaw Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
if its a click that corresponds more or less with the wheel rotation on one side its possible you cracked a hub...I did the same thing a few years ago. The hub would still put power to the wheel, but wouldnt lock in all the way and clicked every time the front left wheel went around. it was replaced under warranty and no problems since.

the stock hubs are fairly sturdy (enough for most peoples uses) and i was really pushing it (front end hopped while attempting a hill climb, and came down with the wheel spinning a bit too fast) when mine went. I heard a really loud POP and thought, shit, ive blown a hub and I am never going to get out of here....but it kept on putting power down so I drove on it the rest of the day. When I blew an auto hub in my fullsize bronco I was stuck a good distance from any traction at all (texas mud) and had to keep the one rear wheel spinning at about 40 to keep my momentum up enough to get back to the "road." the point of all of this is that I was very impressed by the Nissan hub's ability to get me home, even though it was apparently hurting.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal