shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99539 - 29/03/06 05:25 PM Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speak the truth even though im expecting a biased answer lol. Any one have some big time lifted xterras?

#99540 - 29/03/06 05:51 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Nope, they suck, a CR-V can stomp an Xterra any day...

Really, read some of the discussions here, the next section (... and Advanced Stuff), the pictures section, and the events section, to see what the Xterra can do.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99541 - 29/03/06 06:00 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 00WJ:
Speak the truth even though im expecting a biased answer lol. Any one have some big time lifted xterras?
Why are you trolling here? :rolleyes:

#99542 - 29/03/06 06:06 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

no troll intended...my friend has an 4x4 xterra and we are planning to do some light wheeling (as we are both stock) and i was just tryin to see if they are...

#99543 - 29/03/06 06:07 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Nope, they suck, a CR-V can stomp an Xterra any day...

Really, read some of the discussions here, the next section (... and Advanced Stuff), the pictures section, and the events section, to see what the Xterra can do.
x2 [ThumbsUp]
Great post Brent!

#99544 - 29/03/06 06:07 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

are they ifs or sfa stuff like that im looking for info on

#99545 - 29/03/06 06:11 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
The stock Xterra is IFS.

People have run everything from the Mall Curbs to Golden Spike to The Rubicon with IFS Xterras. Many are lifted and locked.

However, there are some people with money and or connections that are running SAS setups.

So yes the Xterra can do anything you want it to, if you have the money.

Stock, the Xterra is very capable. Tires are an obvious point for immediate improvement.

Have fun... take appropriate recovery gear and you'll take turns pulling each other out. Just wheel responsibly, please.

-Jeremy

#99546 - 29/03/06 06:20 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah man we have some legal wheeling spots found. Thanks for the info...ill be sure to search first next time.

The rest of yall shouldnt be so quick to judge smile

#99547 - 29/03/06 08:51 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

An Xterra recovering a GC.

A Liberty recovering an Xterra. (sorry, can't see the Liberty)

So, everything gets stick once in awhile.

BTW, these were both the same day.

#99548 - 29/03/06 09:28 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah you can do quite a bit with em. You will be fine taking him along.

#99549 - 29/03/06 09:34 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh here is a great thread to check out.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=002200#000000

[drink]

#99550 - 30/03/06 08:00 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
It's got pretty poor flex - but for a stock 4x4 it's pretty good. Much better ground clearance than a Liberty.

A locker makes a world of difference.

#99551 - 05/04/06 07:38 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking of Liberty...
Before I bought my Xterra, before I drove anything, I was looking for a 4wd small suv that still had decent fuel efficiency. Stats-wise (ground clearence, turning radius, HP, fuel efficiency, etc), the Liberty and the Xterra seemed so close it was rediculous!

But after I drove them both, it was no contest.

The Liberty felt like a cheaper ride. It's hard to explain... it's a visceral thing. Just little things that add up, like letting off the gas and feeling "loseness" in the drivetrain, or the steering feeling too much like compact car's.
On top of that, the Xterra looks muscular (body shape and features) next to the Liberty and has the longer compartment.

I haven't gone offroad with it much though (to get back on topic). I'd really love to mud that baby up.

[edit]BTW, as background, I was test driving '04 Liberties and Xterras when there were still some on the lots after the '05s came out. I say that because, the '05 Xterra's change significantly (though they retained the same general appearence) and got quite a bit more Horsepower. After that, I think most people put the Xterra in more with the Grand Cherokee than they do the Liberty.

#99552 - 05/04/06 11:59 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Kaiser Offline

I don't know what the magazine numbers for ground clearance are - but my GF's liberty scrapes and bumps over everything (things that stock Xterras have NO problem with) when we go to the offroad park - it's got horrendous clearance for real world use.

I'm sure some of that is because it is an '03 - and Jeep suspension-lowered the KJ by an inch starting in '03 to make the crash-test people happy.

When I bought my X in '00 the two main contenders were the Xterra and the normal (i.e. not 'Grand') Cherokee.

Same as Zen, I thought the Jeep just didn't feel very well put together... the center console was thin and wobbly - stuff like that. Of course, at the time I didn't know diddly about solid axles, differentials, or offroad capability - so this was more of a 'regular onroad driver' type of evaluation - but the X won the "feel" test hands down.

#99553 - 05/04/06 04:50 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Not to mention that the Liberty is a pain in the ass to work on, granted my X is pretty stubborn but...

Just getting to stuff in the KJ means ripping out all sorts of crap. If you want to change a starter in a KJ or the spark plugs let me know they both suck!!!

However, i thought this might be cool just to play devils advocate!!!

Id take one!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#99554 - 05/04/06 06:44 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder if it's a fully functional truck and not just a show truck.

#99555 - 06/04/06 06:30 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what's the big deal about lifting a vehicle? Anything can be lifted. If you base that as a vehicle being off-road capable, I guess you'll be buying a Yugo, eh?

The reason I won't lift my Xterra, or my Jeep, is that it makes them top heavy. The key is to go with as large a tire as possible while keeping the lift to a minimum.

I'll have to scan some pictures I took years ago with a film camera. They were taken at a local mud bog event. Monster vehicles got stuck in the mud while a stock looking Wrangler drove the entire length of the pit. The only other vehicles that made it were the highly modified rigs (running nitrous) with paddle tires that could get on top of the mud. Taller isn't always better. wink

So do you have a major lift kit on your Grand Cherokee?

#99556 - 06/04/06 08:17 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2manytoyz:

So do you have a major lift kit on your Grand Cherokee?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeep driver with dumb question:
planning to do some light wheeling (as we are both stock)
laugh

But, as my farce above states...stupid question...

#99557 - 06/04/06 09:29 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Kaiser Offline

There are some good Libby mods out ther.. you can lock 'em, lift 'em... heck - there have even been a couple SAS-es... but stock to stock, the X wins.

#99558 - 06/04/06 11:20 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
xterra3202 Offline

Totally agree. I was actually looking for a picture of a SAS'ed Liberty that was an absolute monster!!!! Off course the money tree in the backyard has not bloomed yet so.....

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#99559 - 06/04/06 01:00 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
Totally agree. I was actually looking for a picture of a SAS'ed Liberty that was an absolute monster!!!! Off course the money tree in the backyard has not bloomed yet so.....

Tim
This one?

#99560 - 06/04/06 01:35 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

dont they have a diesel engine avaiable now for the libby? i thought i saw that in the bathroom here at work on an offroad mag. cover.

#99561 - 07/04/06 09:42 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
xterra3202 Offline

Thats the one!!!!

And..

Yeah they have a CRD now available in the Liberty but with diesel going up????

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#99562 - 07/04/06 10:27 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you guys kidding me? A WJ?

[LOL] [LOL] [Too much XOC]

Please do everybody a favor and don't bother feeding the trolls. ('specially if they dive a unibody)

[Finger]

Whaddya get if you put smaller tires on a CR-V?

A WJ!

[Spit]

#99563 - 08/04/06 12:05 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Are you guys kidding me? A WJ?

[LOL] [LOL] [Too much XOC]

Please do everybody a favor and don't bother feeding the trolls. ('specially if they dive a unibody)

[Finger]

Whaddya get if you put smaller tires on a CR-V?

A WJ!

[Spit]
A stock WJ would easily match a first gen Xterra offroad, and probably a second gen as well. A modded WJ would kill a modded X (unless it was sas'd).

Sorry. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal