2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99564 - 09/04/06 07:00 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
[b]Are you guys......
A stock WJ would easily match a first gen Xterra offroad, and probably a second gen as well. A modded WJ would kill a modded X (unless it was sas'd).

Sorry. wink [/b]
No it won't. Not even close. Th ground clearance on the Xterra isn't great, but on the WJ it could scarcely be worse. It also comes stock with 2" smaller tires than my 2003 X. The WJ is also on a unibody (car) platform and requires about $1K in reinforcement before you can think about making it an offroad rig. The lack of a frame also means it is possible to dent the structural porttion of the unibody, necessitating more skids. I can drag my Xterra frame across the rocks, while the vitals need protection. With the WJ, you need to protect everything; The unibody simply isn't strong enough for offroad duty.

If had had to choose a grocery getter, I'd take the WJ. For an offroad rig, the Xterra is simply a better platform to start with.

#99565 - 09/04/06 07:53 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[/qb][/QUOTE]A stock WJ would easily match a first gen Xterra offroad, and probably a second gen as well. A modded WJ would kill a modded X (unless it was sas'd).

Sorry. wink [/QB][/QUOTE]

That one shocked me as well...Along with what Jeff said, does the WJ have a rear locker and electronic LSD system that functions as well as the Gen II Xterras? WHat about a clocked drivetraine? 10" of clearence and 32" tires? Stock to stock a WJ would not even be able to follow a Gen II XTerra. Yes, I am sure they will be modded, but so far the Xterra has more aftermarket and will last ALOT longer...

Will a stock Rubicon smoke a Montero, despite its tiny ground clearence? Yes. But a WJ confused

#99566 - 09/04/06 08:16 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The unibody does suck, but stock or lightly modded it doesn't present much of a problem. Ground clearance is also a problem. The trade-off for that, however, is better flex via the SFA and the option of QT II, which effectively locks both axles. It may drag around some, but I can't see much argument that a WJ w/ QT II is poorer offroad than a stock first gen X that's open (or nearly so) at both ends. Throw in a $1000 mod budget and it's game over due to the IFS. Throw in a $3,000 mod budget (or whatever a SAS costs) and the X is better (SFA and Frame, the ladder of which the WJ lacks).

I don't think a WJ is the better overall vehicle (or I'd have one), but I do recognize and accept reality.

PS - don't confuse the WJ with the WK. That's a totally different animal.

#99567 - 09/04/06 09:11 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

WJ, XJ, YJ, CJ, confused [Freak] [drink]

#99568 - 09/04/06 12:26 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunzen:
WJ, XJ, YJ, CJ, confused [Freak] [drink]
That's the kind of Crap that I hate about every damn Heap in existance. You're like nice wrangler and the guy's like it's a TJ. I'm like it a Wrangler right he's like no it's a TJ. Then I ask him why every off road manufacture considers it a Wrangler then? I just give up.

#99569 - 09/04/06 05:58 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh wait, it's an Xterra, no it's not, it's a Gen II X. It's funny how "those guys" are different from "us". Read it in this thread!

I call our Jeep an Unlimited Wranger. It is a TJ. The current version is completely different than the pre-98 models. Now has coil springs, and much more articulation, and the ride is a night and day difference. In the past 60 years of Jeeps, they have undergone changes. And like Gen I vs Gen II Xterras, the owners note the differences. This board is no different. Hell, we've got a "Next Generation" section of the forum. Don't get yer knickers in a knot, just pointing out things are the same here too.

[Huh?] :p laugh

#99570 - 09/04/06 08:31 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
.......better flex via the SFA.....
You must be thinking of the ZJ, which comes with a D30/D35 combo. The WJ has IFS.

Regardless, If you buy a ZJ as a grocery getter, be sure not to buy too many groceries. You may snap an axle!!!

The Xterra comes with a ladder frame and at least one good axle. With the ZJ you havta replace both.

Bring dem WJs up to CO. I'd love to see the resale value after the underbelly gets crushed!

#99571 - 10/04/06 06:44 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] .......better flex via the SFA.....
You must be thinking of the ZJ, which comes with a D30/D35 combo. The WJ has IFS.
[/b]
ZJ/WJ = SFA

WK = IFS

Look it up.

#99572 - 10/04/06 09:13 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, thats really annoying about jeeps as a jeep outsider. Of course you can't have a problem with 1st gen and 2nd gen because it's a general term and can be applied to any vehicle. Now if we started calling them the WD22 and the N50, you'd have a case.

But on the other hand the wranglers have gone through so many changes over the years they really can't just call it a wrangler. But that doesn't make it any less annoying smile

#99573 - 10/04/06 09:59 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got a Nissan truck, oh no, it's a hard-body, no it's a Nismo... wink

If someone asked if I had a Jeep, OR a Wrangler, Or a TJ, OR an Unlimited, the answer would simply be yes. Many names, same beast. But not all Wranglers are TJs, nor are all Wranglers Unlimiteds... oh, my head hurts. [Spit]

Nice having both. Went off-roading this weekend, Jeep stayed in the garage, the Xterra got dirty. Hadn't planned on it. Went on a scouting trip for a new fishing area... and found a trail. Looks like I might have found a new place to play. FWIW, the Xterra does just fine off-road.

#99574 - 14/04/06 08:07 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The bottom line is that something with a unibody and Dana 30/35 axles might be fine for the backyard, but is may last choice for the backcountry.

crap.

Like I said, at least the Xterra has one good axle.

#99575 - 14/04/06 09:19 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To the earlier poster comparing the Liberty to the Xterra. If my 1997 Cherokee hadn't been such a complete lemon I would have probably bought a Liberty this year. But considering the fact that in only 90,000 miles I'd gone through 2 fuel pumps, one heater core, one water pump, half the electric windows don't work, almost all of the interior plastic is broken (the center console is no longer screwed down because the mounts broke, all of the mounts for the map lights are broken, they just dangle inside console), the door locks only sporadically work, and the CD has only worked occasionally for the last 4 years, I will never buy another Chrysler for as long as I live. And I never did any real wheeling, mostly just high speeds on dirt roads. None of the Toyotas I've owned have fallen apart like that but I just couldn't see getting a 4Runner and the FJ looks too small. So now I've joined the Xterra club and couldn't be happier.

#99576 - 15/04/06 07:41 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The bottom line is that something with a unibody and Dana 30/35 axles might be fine for the backyard, but is may last choice for the backcountry.
Fair enough, but longevity is a separate issue. In most situations, a stock WJ will beat a stock first gen X offroad. Period.

#99577 - 16/04/06 07:04 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeff has always ignored that Jeep can be purchased with upgraded axles... unlike an Xterra. Our Jeep has a Dana 44: Pic. More chassis pics here. I'm not a brand snob. Each have their pros & cons.

The Jeep came with skid plates, and there's no comparing even a wussy Dana 30 axle housing against a cast aluminum anything! The first "tap" against a rock, the front axle housing on my Xterra is toast.

Nissan needs to learn about the plastic used in Jeeps. It doesn't scratch easily. My less than year old Xterra looks like I hauled barbed wire in the back most of the Winter. [Huh?]

Jeep needs to take a page from Nissan's book too. Figure out how to get a 4.0L to pump out lots more power while getting better gas mileage. The Jeep puts out plenty of power, but the same displacement engine in the new Nissan is a dragster by comparison (stomps Gen 1s too!).

Ain't nothin' perfect. wink

#99578 - 27/04/06 05:49 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2manytoyz:
Jeff has always ignored that Jeep can be purchased with upgraded axles.......
Too funny. The Dana 44's that are optional on your car-unibody Jeep SUVs are WEAKER than the H233B rear axle on the X.

Puty a truck frame and some real axles on those Heeps and you'll have spent more than any Xterra SAS. [ThumbsDown]

pnwbeers:

It's really not a question of longevity. The issue is making one trip, not many. Those axles won't last one day on a tough trail with poor conditions.

I challenge you to find ten broken H233B's out there amongst the tens of thousands of broke Dana 30s and 35s. This is not a grocery store issue but a trail issue.

It amazes me that my Jeeper friends won't even leave the pavement without a decent axle yet some Xterra owners are too busy Jeep-whorin' to realize what's what.

Whatever, guys. Bring that unibody piece of junk to Colorado and lets see what it's made of......

#99579 - 28/04/06 01:13 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Too funny. The Dana 44's that are optional on your car-unibody Jeep SUVs are WEAKER than the H233B rear axle on the X.
Jeff, you missed my signature. No, I don't own a unibody Jeep, and the Dana 44 was standard on mine. wink I wasn't referring to the Liberty, but rather the Wrangler series. But, like the Xterra, if you have the money, you can build most anything: SAS Liberty.

These are our toys:

We have the pleasure of owning both. Once again, I speak from experience, rather just winging it. [Finger]

As I said, cast aluminum housing anything, isn't near as strong as a Dana anything. You buy yourself an 05/06, swing by my house, we'll perform a ball peen test. I'll enlighten you why cast aluminum is a piss poor choice of material on something that's subject to impact. eek

It's nice that with the Jeep I had the option of getting different axles, or lockers front AND rear. Even after the sale, I can swing by the dealer and have them add a lift kit, etc. I wish Nissan offered more options and upgrades.

There's a lot of things I really like about the Xterra (motor, room, comfort, ABLS, etc), but it's got some faults too. The weak front axle housing, wussy plastic interior, lack of real bumpers, very limited aftermarket support, etc. It's a great all around vehicle, but it doesn't excel at everything. eek

#99580 - 28/04/06 05:14 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It's really not a question of longevity. The issue is making one trip, not many. Those axles won't last one day on a tough trail with poor conditions.
On a trail that a stock WJ could handle, I call bullshit - unless you're a really shitty driver.

#99581 - 30/04/06 03:04 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
.......I wasn't referring to the Liberty, but rather the Wrangler series.....
Well then you're in the wrong thread. This a joke thread started by a WJ owner. Obviously, comparing a stock X to the Rubi is a moot point. The Rubicon a good, solid starting point for a trail rig. If you call that a real bumper, you are sadly mistaken. I know very few TJ trail rigs that have opted to keep the stock bumper.

Quote:

....I speak from experience, rather just winging it.....
Grocery store experience doesn't count. Going through a mud puddle or a sandy road isn't wheelin'. [Huh?] [Wave]

You are also misinformed (again?) about the Dana 44 being stronger than the Nissan H233B.

The bottom line is that the Xterra is a better platform to build an offroad rig from than a unibody such as the WJ or the CR-V.

#99582 - 06/05/06 11:49 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:

Same as Zen, I thought the Jeep just didn't feel very well put together... the center console was thin and wobbly - stuff like that. Of course, at the time I didn't know diddly about solid axles, differentials, or offroad capability - so this was more of a 'regular onroad driver' type of evaluation - but the X won the "feel" test hands down.
I have an '00 Xterra, as well--never compared it to anything else at the time, though. I wanted to trade my new Civic for the Xterra as soon as the chance came around.

Anyway, knowing what you know now, would you have made the same choice? Why or why not?

(just curious) smile

Thanks!

#99583 - 07/05/06 09:09 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As mentioned earlier with money. Anything is possible.

I use to have a 1998 1wd stock height V6 S10. I took it more places than many jacked up trucks including jeeps. A lot of offroading knowing how to drive. Sadly I have a natural talent for it. But not the budget.

My friends Jeep We custom built it. It has a chevy 350motor in it.

For offroading. You can't beat a V6 or a V8 old jeep from say the 80s. (I don't know the different models). If you have some good tires. A strong motor with a winch then you can go just about anywhere.

#99584 - 08/05/06 07:49 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now, I know this is an old thread, but why the hell are the Jeep guys arguing about a model that is not even made any more (WJ). Let's compare what is currently available.

There is no doubt that a stock Jeep Rubicon is a more trail ready rig than a stock X. But compare even a base model X to the WK. I am pretty sure the X would win. Jeep is turning their vehicles into mall crawlers while Nissan is trying to at least keep some of their off road worth.

BTW, 2ManyToys, have either of your vehicles (X or Jeep) seen anything but pavement or dirt fire trails? They look way too clean and scratch free. smile

#99585 - 08/05/06 08:31 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The original poster was inquiring as to whether or not his buddy's stock X could hang with his stock Jeep, the answer is yes, end of story...sorta...not really as we tend to do, we jumped all over the original poster laugh

#99586 - 09/05/06 06:36 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b] .......I wasn't referring to the Liberty, but rather the Wrangler series.....
Well then you're in the wrong thread. This a joke thread started by a WJ owner. Obviously, comparing a stock X to the Rubi is a moot point. The Rubicon a good, solid starting point for a trail rig. If you call that a real bumper, you are sadly mistaken. I know very few TJ trail rigs that have opted to keep the stock bumper.

Quote:

....I speak from experience, rather just winging it.....
Grocery store experience doesn't count. Going through a mud puddle or a sandy road isn't wheelin'. [Huh?] [Wave]

You are also misinformed (again?) about the Dana 44 being stronger than the Nissan H233B.

The bottom line is that the Xterra is a better platform to build an offroad rig from than a unibody such as the WJ or the CR-V.[/b]
Uh, the original question was are Xterras good offroad. I compared it directly to what I actually drive, rather than winging it.

I've made the offer before Jeff, and I'll make it again. Come on down to our easy to drive State and I'll hook you up with a couple of buddies of mine. They'll give you an education of what we call swamp.

Oh, and on my planet, the horizon is horizontal, you poser:

Gee, doesn't look as tough now, eh?

And I wasn't comparing an Xterra to a Rubicon, but rather our Unlimited, which ALSO comes with a Dana 44 standard.

Buy yourself a new Xterra, we'll chain my steel bumper against your plastic one, then let the fun begin. FWIW, people tow Jeeps via the front bumper.

I think my Xterra is great, but I don't kid myself either. You can armchair quaterback all you want, you're still a poser. [Finger]

#99587 - 09/05/06 07:05 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Oh, and on my planet, the horizon is horizontal, you poser:

Gee, doesn't look as tough now, eh?
[Spit] [Spit] [Spit]

Now THAT is a burn! Schweet! Jeff, you need to give it up. Not only can you not follow the arguement the whole time, but you just got called out with your pussy looking Xterra posing on a freaking ditch...

Geez. You'd think from the smack you talk that your rig might actually be built or something... What are those, street slicks? You're giving honest offroading Xterra owners/drivers a bad name.

#99588 - 09/05/06 09:46 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Uh, hello? See the trunks of the trees there? Trees grow up. There's not nearly enough sky visible to determine a horizon, but the trees show vertical.

[Finger] [Finger] [Finger]

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal