shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99589 - 09/05/06 09:53 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To come to Jeff's defense in the photo. The original orientation was correct. Look at the two pines on each side of the antenna.

Edit: Damn, OffroadX beat me to it.

#99590 - 09/05/06 09:58 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
You guys are funny.

Called out?

Why would he look down to take a picture? In the original photo his head is upright looking at the camera and in the edited incorrect one he's looking down.

#99591 - 09/05/06 11:30 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2manytoyz:
And I wasn't comparing an Xterra to a Rubicon, but rather our Unlimited, which ALSO comes with a Dana 44 standard.

Buy yourself a new Xterra, we'll chain my steel bumper against your plastic one, then let the fun begin. FWIW, people tow Jeeps via the front bumper.
BTW: Even the Rubicon doesn't come with a D44 up front. It's a D44 center with D30 axles and knuckles.

My X has a steel bumper.

#99592 - 09/05/06 12:15 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
You guys are funny.

Called out?

Why would he look down to take a picture? In the original photo his head is upright looking at the camera and in the edited incorrect one he's looking down.
Not to mention the front suspension is clearly less compressed than the rear.

Some of you just like to start shit around here.

#99593 - 09/05/06 04:58 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
BTW: Even the Rubicon doesn't come with a D44 up front. It's a D44 center with D30 axles and knuckles.

My X has a steel bumper.
Either way, even the basic Jeep with a Dana 30 up front is beefier than the front axle in a cast alumiunum housing on my Xterra. One tap on a rock, my housing is done.

I've seen a new Xterra without a front bumper skin. There's a piece of tin up there to hold the plastic skin in place. Certainly wouldn't withstand a jack being placed there.

Don't try this with a stock Xterra:

There are certainly better aftermarket bumpers for Jeep (and Xterras), but the stock ones work fine on a Jeep. No place to use a Hi-Lift jack on my Xterra in stock form. I've since added a hitch and looking at the Calmini bumpers -w- winch. Our Jeep will keep the stock bumpers for now. They're functional, rather than plastic. wink

As for the Jeff picture... [Spit] laugh I don't really care if it was doctored or not, still funny, and he is a poser. Nope, no Jeeps can go where he can with street tires. Pahleeze.

#99594 - 10/05/06 07:55 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:

My X has a steel bumper.
Either way, even the basic Jeep with a Dana 30 up front is beefier than the front axle in a cast alumiunum housing on my Xterra. One tap on a rock, my housing is done.

I've seen a new Xterra without a front bumper skin. There's a piece of tin up there to hold the plastic skin in place. Certainly wouldn't withstand a jack being placed there.

Don't try this with a stock Xterra:

There are certainly better aftermarket bumpers for Jeep (and Xterras), but the stock ones work fine on a Jeep. No place to use a Hi-Lift jack on my Xterra in stock form. I've since added a hitch and looking at the Calmini bumpers -w- winch. Our Jeep will keep the stock bumpers for now. They're functional, rather than plastic. wink

As for the Jeff picture... [Spit] laugh I don't really care if it was doctored or not, still funny, and he is a poser. Nope, no Jeeps can go where he can with street tires. Pahleeze.
I can buy a skid that will protect the cast housing. Now I will not deny that the front diff in the new X's are not beefy, but be relistic here, a stock X can most likely keep up with a stock Jeep (of any model except the Rubicon).

No offense, but do you wheel? The only shots of either of your vehicles I have seen is in the driveway or on some sand.

#99595 - 10/05/06 09:36 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't make any big claims like some. I don't do rock crawling. First and foremost, there aren't any rocks HERE, nor are places like that nearby.

The terrain we have here is either high and dry, like parts of Ocala, where I've posted pictures from before, or swampy, like most of where we go.

In the really swampy areas, the last thing you'd want to do is stop your vehicle and get out. You'll be up to your hips in water, and mud halfway up your shins. Nasty stuff. Because of this, few of us are willing to get out and take pictures. wink

But fret not, I did take a video many moons ago when a friend got his new Pathfinder. This was taken during the dry season. Try to spot any sand here:

A friend owns a chunk of land near Lake Harney, FL. Half the year much of the area is underwater. This video was taken during the "dry season". Video

A few lessons learned:

1. Don't let John drink & drive, even on his own property.
2. Even if you buy the upgraded tires from Nissan, they're still pretty sorry.
3. Automatic locking hubs on some vehicles require rolling several feet before they'll engage. So lock them early!
4. If you're going out playing off-road, take a buddy, or at least a cell phone. Having to walk 4 miles back to the campsite to get help isn't fun.
5. Find the biggest redneck you can after getting stuck. Two of 'em is better.
7. Make sure to video tape the entire event. Your buddy's friends and wife will find this even funnier.

Yes I do wheel. Not in the dry rock crawling sense some of you do. But don't dismiss swamp driving as easy, or you'll end up worse than my buddy. I have 2 4x4s, nothing else. I go out most weekends. Some dry trails, some very nasty. You and anyone else are welcome to join us.

I went Jeepin when I lived in Arizona (3 years), been to Pismo several times when TDY at VAFB:
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5
I've been out to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona on a couple of trips too. I took a 4WD Amigo and an ATV. Went on several out there. Still have more VHS tapes to convert...

In the meantime, you're welcome to take a look at some of the pictures from our club: Linky. Not much sand there either. Oh, this is what Ocala looks like in the wet season (starting next month, hopefully). Gets worse as the season goes on.

We're planning a trip in June, wanna go? No, I'm not going in the really deep stuff, I'll leave that to my buddies spinning 40"+ tires. Might be a nice change from those dry rocks though. cool

#99596 - 10/05/06 10:00 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

3. Automatic lockers on some vehicles require rolling several feet before they'll engage. So lock them early!
You're talking about automatic locking hubs, I assume. Lockers are of different species.

#99597 - 10/05/06 10:10 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Quote:
[b]
3. Automatic lockers on some vehicles require rolling several feet before they'll engage. So lock them early!
You're talking about automatic locking hubs, I assume. Lockers are of different species.[/b]
Yep, sorry, meant auto locking hubs.

#99598 - 10/05/06 10:29 AM Re: Xterras good offroad?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Auto hubs don't require the vehicle to move one inch to engage. It's driveline revolution that engages them. If the rear tires can rotate, the front hubs will engage, period. That means you can either move a few feet, or the rear tires spin a rev or so. Either way, they lock.

Quote:
I don't make any big claims like some.
Uh, except that Jeff's pic was a fake...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99599 - 10/05/06 12:34 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Uh, except that Jeff's pic was a fake...
Nah, I said Jeff was a poser, which he is. Grand Master of offroading if you read his threads. I never claimed to be. Did think putting his picture level with the horizon was funny though...

Oh, this just in... we have thrown out your theory, and added our own...

Apparently he was driving DOWNhill. Note the trees. wink

Lighten up Francis. Jeff is quick to slam every other vehicle, and in his mind, he's always right, despite any facts proving him wrong.

"If you call that a real bumper, you are sadly mistaken". I do, I did, and I showed pics of why. Here's the Nissan version. [Freak]

Hey, I love my Xterra, but it lacks in some areas. When I get enough time and cash, I'll fix those. My Jeep lacks in other areas, and I'll tweak those too in time. As I've said many times before, ain't nothin' perfect, or we'd all be driving one.

#99600 - 10/05/06 03:24 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that's funny. That most certainly is uphill you've just referenced off a horizontal branch instead of the trees that are practically biting you in the nose.

Nice one, Einstein. [LOL]

(hint: Look at the small tree by the front bumper. There's at least two others.)

BTW, that obstacle is much steeper in person than a picture will do justice. Here is a video (taken from downhill) showing the easier left line:
Video

Never said I was a big offroader. Just that my X has been offroad.

Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OffroadX:

..."If you call that a real bumper, you are sadly mistaken". I do, I did, and I showed pics of why....
Don't even open your mouth until you take off your skirt get that Armor-all a little dirty.

You haven't been offroading and don't know a thing about it. Why not try it and come back then? Just pathetic.

I'm done with this ridiculous conversation with the guy with the super-shiny grocery getters.

[ThumbsDown] :rolleyes:

#99601 - 10/05/06 04:04 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:

Uh, hello? See the trunks of the trees there? Trees grow up. There's not nearly enough sky visible to determine a horizon, but the trees show vertical.

[Finger] [Finger] [Finger]
Almost forgot, flatlander.....

#99602 - 10/05/06 05:01 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Wha? Jeff, I was proving the picture was authentic...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99603 - 10/05/06 08:19 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

not sure, as I can't speak for Jeff here, but I do believe he was using your picture as an example of how the original was authentic...and then proceded to blast 2ManyToys

#99604 - 11/05/06 01:55 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:

You haven't been offroading and don't know a thing about it. Why not try it and come back then? Just pathetic.

I'm done with this ridiculous conversation with the guy with the super-shiny grocery getters.
Ah, once again words of wisdom from the off-roading God.

Yea, I noticed how dirty and dented your ride has gotten in the past 3 years.

Here's some unibody owners not affraid to take their rigs off-road:

http://www.lostkjwest.com/calico.htm

http://edge-offroad.com/Member_Rides/glenn.html

http://edge-offroad.com/trails/holycross/2004/holy_cross_04.htm

http://www.sn-fab.com/projects/tractech/page1.html

http://www.oramagazine.com/archive/2004/june2004/FEATURES/FEAT03/JUNE04_FEAT03_01.asp

http://www.rocky-road.com/ourkj.html

http://rubicontrail.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64

It's easy to talk smack about vehicles you've never owned or driven. It's also a shame that some feel the need to slam everything else and everyone else, to make themselves look tougher. Ever noticed you go bonkers anytime someone even hints at the word Jeep? I don't care for unibody vehicles either, but I'm not about to pretend one can't go on trails like the one you were on with a mostly stock IFS Xterra.

I'm no off-roading God and not pretending to be either. But I've been in your neck of the woods more than once, and wheeled in a number of States.

Lighten up dude. You ain't the only one who goes off-road, though you might think you are. Some of us get to play with other toys too: Linky wink Ground clearance will improve when we put the real wheels -n- tires on it... Shall I bore you with pictures of the M-113s I get to play with, or the Bearcat? :p

#99605 - 11/05/06 02:59 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
not sure, as I can't speak for Jeff here, but I do believe he was using your picture as an example of how the original was authentic...and then proceded to blast 2ManyGroceries
Correctamundo.

Thanks for the pic, Brent.

#99606 - 11/05/06 05:52 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, for those interested, HERE'S the original. YOU decide if the one he posted has been tweaked a few degrees or not:

Original

[Huh?]

FWIW, I think the pictures on your website are cool. [ThumbsUp] Looks like you've had fun. Just keep it real, eh?

Edited to point to an original copy since Jeff didn't want anyone else to see it. He replaced it with another doctored copy.

#99607 - 12/05/06 01:10 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I figured he'd erase the image off his website, so the link no longer works.

Jeff, that's really sad bud. You were caught, and rather than admit it, you erased it.

Here's his poser pic: Fake.

Here's the orginal: Real.

I superimposed one on top of the other, using the rear wheel as the reference point: BUSTED!!!

Like I said, you've got some cool pics on your website. Brag about where you've been, don't pretend to be something you're not. Owned my ass, you're busted buddy. [Huh?] wink

#99608 - 12/05/06 01:33 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

all i am going to say about this entire topic: Wow

#99609 - 12/05/06 03:31 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, I figured he'd erase the image off his website, so the link no longer works.....
Not too bright, are we? eek

The one you call "fake" is the one with the bad camera angle. The real one is the one where trees grow vertical. They should have taught you that in the second grade. Apparently you missed most of your education with the infantile crap you're pulling. Who in their right mind is going to try to talk smack about wheeling when they don't wheel? Pathetic.

Next time I hear from you I expect it it be IN PERSON on a trail. Then I can show you that obstacle in person.

Somebody move this fourth grade crap to the ALR already...

Back on topic:

A stock Xterra can keep up with a stock WJ no problem. The Xterra is a better platform to build a trail rig because of its rear axle and truck frame.

#99610 - 12/05/06 05:39 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bad camera angle, hah! You're a funny man. That's why you ERASED THE ORIGINAL TODAY AND REPLACED IT WITH THE DOCTORED PHOTO. I also noticed that vertical tree about where your FM stereo antenna is. Keep digging the hole, you'll find bottom sooner or later.

I called you a poser, and showed you for what you are. [Finger]

I agree with you about the unibody structure vs a truck frame.

Oh, I'll change the link in my previous message to point to the original photo as I figured you'd pull a stunt like this.

#99611 - 12/05/06 07:51 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
A stock Xterra can keep up with a stock WJ no problem.
2nd gen probably, 1st gen no. Deal with it.

Durability is in favor of the X, I like the X better, but I'm being honest.

Quote:
The Xterra is a better platform to build a trail rig because of its rear axle and truck frame.
Yes.

Edit - the photo looks totally legit to me in original form.

#99612 - 18/05/06 05:36 PM Re: Xterras good offroad?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Jeep whorin' bull$hit....

Blah, blah, blah
Like I said, when you're man enough to hit a trail, we'll talk. Til then, go watch TV or somethin'. [Freak]

Back on topic:

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Quote:
[b]A stock Xterra can keep up with a stock WJ no problem.
2nd gen probably, 1st gen no. Deal with it.

Durability is in favor of the X, I like the X better, but I'm being honest.

Quote:
The Xterra is a better platform to build a trail rig because of its rear axle and truck frame.
Yes.

Edit - the photo looks totally legit to me in original form.[/b]
We can just agree to disagree on that one, man.

I've seen the WJs on the trail. Between the inability to fit bigger tires, the lack of ground clearance, the crappy axles and the unibody I'm gonna havta stick to my guns on this one. Quadra-trac (or whatever it's called) doesn't do a bit of good when yer draggin your T-case, oil pan and unbody across the rocks. Once those cheesy axles break, you're not even able to drag anymore.....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal