shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99780 - 04/07/03 10:11 AM Dumb question? Front locker...
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
OK, there isn't supposed to be any such thing, so I am going to ask it smile I freely admit I am still learing about the 4wd drivetrain.

OK - you can't use 4wd on hard, dry surfaces since the front wheels can't slip independantly of each other, right?

So whats a front locker used for? Isn't it redundant? I've searched around, followed the excellent links to some of the beginner 4wd sites - but I am obviously not getting it...

Anyone care to draw the distinction for me?

Thanks!

#99781 - 04/07/03 10:47 AM Re: Dumb question? Front locker...
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
The front differential is open. The binding issue, or problem with 4wd on hard-packed, or non-slippery surfaces that is, comes from binding in the transfer case when turns are negotiated and the rate of rotation in the transfer case as it relates to the front driveshaft differentiates from that in the rear driveshaft, causing a binding in the transfer case, possibly resulting in a stretched or broken transfer case chain.

A front locker affects the front differential only, locking the pumpkin up so both front axles rotate equally under all conditions. This has no effect on the power differential aspect of the transfer case.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#99782 - 04/07/03 01:11 PM Re: Dumb question? Front locker...
DocNo Offline

Aha! See, that now makes perfect sense. Thanks RedX!

This board is capable of answering a simple question without a bunch of fluf comments after all!

#99783 - 04/07/03 02:31 PM Re: Dumb question? Front locker...
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
And just an FYI there is a front locker for the X. It's made by ARB and it's an air pressure activated selectable locker. Search around and I'm sure you'll find some discussions about it.

#99784 - 06/07/03 08:59 PM Re: Dumb question? Front locker...
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
And just an FYI there is a front locker for the X. It's made by ARB and it's an air pressure activated selectable locker.
Yup, if you read my original post carefully, you will see I knew they existed, just didn't know exactly why.

Quote:
Search around and I'm sure you'll find some discussions about it.
I already had [Finger] Again, if you would have read my first post more closely...

At least Redx answered without mentioning @%#$ searching [Freak]

Good god search Nazi's - get a life!

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
This board is capable of answering a simple question without a bunch of fluf comments after all!
Shoot, jinxed this thread, didn't I? :rolleyes:

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal