2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99797 - 14/04/04 02:16 AM '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are the pros and cons of the new in-dash 4wd selector as seen in the '05 pics vs. the current mechanical lever? I do not have a very good impression with this new electric selector. Here's why:

I had a friend take me off-roading about five years ago in his new (loaded to the gill) $$$Yukon. It had the in-dash 4wd selector switch. There were no problems until we ran through "a" fairly deep mud hole. For reference: As we passed through the hole, maybe one or two wheels at a time briefly had water/mud up to the hubs. It blew his 4wd circuit fuse under the dash. Every spare fuse blew upon install. The other vehicle had to tow us back to dry ground.

Thinking logically, water and electric controls/actuators don't mix. At this time, until it's proven otherwise, I'm assuming there will be limitations, or shortcomings to this electric 4wd selector.

#99798 - 14/04/04 08:33 AM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
It's all speculation until we see it in action. I used to do pretty deep water crossings in my 4WD Subaru Justy and I never shorted anything out. You can't really judge the X based on the performance of a GM product-- they're notorious for mysterious electrical problems.

#99799 - 14/04/04 10:38 AM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I wouldn't worry about it in the least, Nissan does a damn good job sealing all their electrical harnesses and you can bet that the t-case actuator will be sealed tight. If the t-case actuator is a deal breaker for anyone, that's just sad.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99800 - 14/04/04 05:12 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Well, I have three words in response to Brent: fuel sender unit.

I too am unhappy about an in-dash knob. I had one in my Ford Ranger. The shift motor mounted to the transfer case crapped out to the tune of about $350. It makes no sense to me to add a bunch of wiring, fuses and electrical doodads to perform the function of a simple mechanical lever.

#99801 - 14/04/04 05:24 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
When you consider that half the posts in the 4WD forum are "How do I shift into 4Lo?", it's no suprise Nissan changed it.

#99802 - 14/04/04 05:35 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
When you consider that half the posts in the 4WD forum are "How do I shift into 4Lo?", it's no suprise Nissan changed it.
Does that mean they're going to put a "Max Tire Size 32" or 33" with lift" badge in the wheel wells? laugh

#99803 - 14/04/04 05:52 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
I hear they're going to issue "The X-cyclopedia Brent-tannica" as an audiobook with every truck.

#99804 - 14/04/04 07:18 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Does anyone know if this electronic shift would enable 4lo - 4hi shift on the fly? I know the RangeRover has it. Kinda like a semi, allows you to start off with a granny gear when towing.

#99805 - 14/04/04 08:29 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, Nissan has no plans for a 4Hi to 4Lo shift on the fly shifter. It will still have a Neutral position on the switch that it will have to go through to accomplish this particular shift. You'll have to be stopped, with your foot on the brake, in Neutral or Park (and the computer will look at either wheel speed sensors or vehicle speed sensor to insure no movement) before the computer will allow the shift to occur. Extremely similar to the system currently used on Pathfinders, Titans and Armadas.

But why would you want to do that to begin with? I don't see a point to that.

Also, in regards to the Yukon blowing the fuse, it probably wasn't the t-case actuator that caused it, but rather the front diff actuator that has been redesigned to cure that exact problem. Now it has a seperate harness that has to be installed and spliced into the existing harness to accomplish the same task, but with a newer actuator (just for information's sake, that is).

#99806 - 14/04/04 09:15 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
I hear they're going to issue "The X-cyclopedia Brent-tannica" as an audiobook with every truck.
Yeah it's a loop tape that repeats "Use the Search!"
wink

Xterra101.com

#99807 - 15/04/04 07:35 AM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
A few thoughts from an earlier post on the subject...

Hmmm...

The electronic transfer case. Well I'd really like to see exactly what they went with. When GM first started with the push-button type, it was really just the same transfercase as before, only where the linkage used to hook up there was an electric stepper motor. I like the same t-case idea, and the motor does have the advantage of being direct mounted ie; no linkage to get knocked/popped of in extreme 4X4 conditions. Admittedly at first I was skeptical of the reliabilty, but the great thing was, the shifter shaft stuck right thru the motor... no matter what happened to the motor, you could always put a wrench on the shaft, and shift into whatever you needed. I liked that feature, but I doubt we'll see it like that anymore. Still I worried, but as the years went by, I noticed that I worked on a lot more 4X4's with linkage/shifter problems than I ever did electrical ones... So I guess I'm ok with it.

Now for our beloved X, what I don't want to see is some air or fluid shifted unit controlled via solenoid valves (or heaven forbid huge electro-magnetic clutches...). Not just yet anyway. I know they work ok in the auto trans but I'm still just a little skeptical.

Heck, I guess we can live with just about everything. The new X has no throttle cable, just electronics, and if you can trust it to run the throttle, why not the t-case too?
MV

#99808 - 16/04/04 04:06 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
Heck, I guess we can live with just about everything. The new X has no throttle cable, just electronics, and if you can trust it to run the throttle, why not the t-case too?
MV
Who said I trust an electronic throttle either? [Laughing]

But seriously, your experience with electronic transfer cases is reassuring. I hope that Nissan at least keeps it simple.

#99809 - 16/04/04 11:38 PM Re: '05 4wd selector-The weakest link?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The X and Frontier appear to be getting the TX15 unit that is used on the Titan, the unit under the one in NYC certainly looked just like one. If that's the case, it will have an actuator motor assembly attached to the rear that will rotate a shaft that operates the internals. The actuator has its own breather tube.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal