2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99890 - 13/12/04 10:55 AM 2 inch body lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read a lot of posts on body lifts and ARB relocation on various sites. I think I am going to do a 2 inch body lift. I know that some peopl are strongly against body lifts. I was hoping to hear from those people as to why they are strongly against them. Also I was hoping that someone with a 2 inch body lift, could post detailed instructions as to how they relocated their bumper. I don't care about welding to the ARB, but I hope to not weld to the frame, just bolt on.

#99891 - 13/12/04 11:29 AM Re: 2 inch body lift
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I have a 2" BL...I raised a Shrockworks bumper, not an ARB though.

To raise the bumper I drilled new mounting holes in the frame horns, and used the bumper's existing mount holes to attach at the lifted location.

All you have to do is make the holes 2" higher than the original holes to have no gap...I chose to leave about 3/4" for flex room....so I didn't raise mine all the way.

If you don't have a winch in your ARB, I think that's all you need to do.

I know you wanted details, but its just pretty simple really...

Take off the bumper, drill a new hole in the frame horn directly above each original hole...

Put the bumper back on using the new holes instead of the old ones.

laugh

I have a 9,500 lb cap winch mounted in the bumper, so I didn't want to torque the frame on off angle pulls...So I welded L brackets on top of the horns, and bolted the bumper's original end of frame horn bolts into the L's.

I then welded a cross brace between the horns, making a V intersecting at the frame cross member.

Seems rock solid now....much stronger than stock.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#99892 - 13/12/04 12:29 PM Re: 2 inch body lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'll need more than just that.

The ARB connects w/ 3 bolts, not 2 like the shrock bumper. It uses the same 2 that shrock uses, plus it has another that goes through the tie-down hole, to make a stronger attachment.

You'll either have to cut this bad-boy off (the piece on the ARB), or fab up some other sort of bracket.

I don't have a body lift on mine, so somebody else will have to chime in on the brackets.

#99893 - 13/12/04 12:55 PM Re: 2 inch body lift
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The shrock mounts with 6 bolts, three per side. (As shown)

Both use three bolts per side, the Shrockworks has two lower, and one higher, the ARB has two higher and one lower.

The Shrockworks uses the upper to brace to the end of the frame rail, so the front bolt is not in shear in an impact, and up/down leverage is braced at the horn end, further increasing strength.

The ARB has a chasis mount tab and bolt for the lower attachment, shown here:

Raising the ARB leaves no where to attach the above tab to.

They're both attached in a sturdy fashion...and whenever you raise a bumper, you increase the torque on the frame, and the additional lever length the bumper acts upon the frame.

Raising the Shrockworks for winch use induced me to make a brace to compensate...it looks like you'd need to do the same with the ARB, just at a different point.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal