Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
So here is my opinion from experience...

- 165/75/16 Tires? Kinda on the small size (I think that would measure out to be 25" tall) do you mean 265/75/16 (which would be about a 32" tire)? If so, you obviously can see that you don't need a body lift to clear them. A 32" tire is a good size for what we do up in the Sierras (trust me I've run hard trails with that size). Also remember you only gain 1/2" with a 33, so honestly it isn't worth the pain of insatalling a body lift.

- As you know a 2" body lift will require fabrication to align bumpers and your new sliders (unless you don't mind the 2" gap). This fabrication will become harder if you upgrade to aftermarket bumpers as you will want those to be able to withstand higher forces, hold up to recovery situations, brace the X if you get a winch, and hold the extra weight of accessories mounted to them.

- I would say the only reason to install a body lift would be if you needed to fit a set of 35s. Again a 33 only gains you 1/2" of height/clearance so a 32 is a perfectly good size to start wheeling with. If you need a larger tire you can do the body lift later.

- A full 3" suspension lift will net you more. The aftermarket upper a-arms will allow for more front end travel and the shackles will do the same for the rear. Also just about any aftermarket shock availible will be better then stock.

- Sliders and underbelly armor are key for what we do in this area. I would put them ahaead of the 3" suspension lift. We have real rocks here and you don't want them to cause damage when wheeling esp. to anything under your X.

After you have gotten that far with the mods everything else just helps to make wheeling easier. Don't over build while you are learning though, do your mods slowly and get used to them before moving onto the next mod.

**Never forget recover gear! You should always have one [b]recovery strap
(NOT a tow strap with hooks), d-rings, and be sure you have a recovery points front AND rear. The Xterra comes stock with a front hook, if you have a tow package then you have a recovery point for the rear (just be sure you have a hitch mountable block and d-ring).

If you have questions let me know and I can further explain any of the above. Again this is meant only as suggestion from my years of wheeling an X in our Sierras.

Oh and wheeling should never be about *bling*, build it strong and capable and get out there and wheel...who cares who has a taller truck or bigger tires. Instead learn how to use your equipment and use it well. But that's just me.[/b]
**Thanks for the info on tire size. With the new info I actually took the hit and cancelled my body lift order. I wasnt really going for the $BLING$ effect as much as I assumed bigger tires meant more clearance in the long run that I may end up needing.

Since I have already paid for my sliders, Im just waiting for 4crawler to get to them.
Ive got to tell him no body lift now.

so, with the savings of 200 dollars on the body lift and the combination of a $500 bonus I just got, Im curious what would make as a better order of mod additions.

Im thinking the best option is to take advantage of the discount on a full skid set from shrockworks rather than trying to piece meal it later on.

But Im not sure with the shackles and tbar cranking, if I should solidify the front area more, or get better shocks. I just hit 36k over the weekend if that helps.

Any thoughts?