Joshua Tree II

The January Xcursion should have something for everyone. We'll start off going through Thermal and Pinkham Canyons and the Cottonwood Mountains, then head east on Black Eagle Mine Road until we find a nice camp spot in the BLM land east of Joshua Tree National Park.

I'm told Pinkham and Thermal Canyons are fairly stock friendly, mostly sandy washes and maybe some small rocky areas. Xtoolbox, or someone else who did that section last year, will fill in more detail on that. Black Eagle Mine Road also looks to be stock friendly, but none of us have been there. As always, though, remember that trails change.

The plan is to make camp early on Saturday somewhere east of the Park boundary and have a big bbq food-fest. Sort of a late X-mas Party. Black Eagle Mine Road is not a through road, we'll come back out the same way, distance one way looks to be about 9-10 miles to pavement. That should make it easy for the day-trippers to head out on Saturday.

For Sunday there are several options, depending on what people feel like doing. For those who want something more challenging than Saturday's canyons, you could head north on Old Dale Road up to the Mining District where we were last year. Maybe someone can top Mitch's record for slashed tires. We could also go up to Geology Tour Road, then out through Berdoo Canyon. We'll see what people feel like on Sunday.

Meet Spot: Love's Truck Stop on the north side of I-10 at the Dillon Road exit, Indio, CA
Date: Saturday, January 26th
Time: 10:00 AM

Comm: FRS Channel 1, sub code 24
CB Radio channel 24

Copied from Frank's post at SCCX.